Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Always thought the PSOne intro was really really creepy for some reason. Absolutely hated it when everyone else seems to think its's a bit nostalgic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

That's funny. I remember it with fondness, and I regard Skype opening up as sounding like the devil sucking out your soul. The harshness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

I though the ending of 2001 made perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

There is no point in being sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I dont consider suicide to be selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

grenache wrote: »

I'd agree really. I think a person has a right to end their life on their own terms as long as they don't involve other innocent parties in the act. For example crashing a car on purpose.

Now assisted suicide in cases of debilitating illness is a whole other legal matter, but I do believe if the sufferer is of sound mind to make the call then they should be assisted in carrying out their wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

grenache wrote: »

Doubt that's an unpopular opinion really.

There isn't any politician in the history of the Irish state that would be able to do any better than the current government are doing. I find it hilarious when people describe the current government as corrupt or dishonest and suggest replacing them with a party led by a guy who has more blood on his hands than any other current politician in Europe and is still in denial about his role in the IRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Joeface wrote: »
    Unpopular opinions eh ???

Lisa Simpson should have been killed off and not Ned Flanders wife (what ever her name was)

The Simpsons should have been killed off years ago. How they have got away with it for so long, i do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MJ23 wrote: »
    The Simpsons should have been killed off years ago. How they have got away with it for so long, i do not know.

this, its a shadow of its former glory, it hasnt been funny in well over a decade, I havent seen a full new episode in ages, last one I saw was them going to Israel for some reason, it was appallingly bad. the first 9 seasons though are amazing, well 1 and 2 have aged badly but still have their funny moments, season 4 is the greatest season of a tv show ever, theres not one bad episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FirePower

The Simpsons episode, You Only Move Twice aka the Hank Scorpio one, is in hindsight one of the worst episodes in the show's history. Most things people hate about Simpsons episodes of the last 10 years can be traced back to this episode. The plot is completely nonsensical and relies heavily on wackiness and cultural references in order to carry the humour. The secondary plots are severely underdeveloped, Marge, Bart and Lisa may as well not even be in this episode. To finish it all off the episode has an extremely convenient status quo ante bellum ending thus making the previous 25 minutes pointless.

The greatest episodes of the Simpsons were all character driven, Summer of 4 ft 2, Dog of Death, Lisa the Vegetarian, Last Exit to Springfield etc. etc., the episodes had heart and soul to their humour.

Even episodes with wacky elements were still character driven. Deep Space Homer is still primarily about Homer's desire for respect from his peers. The wackiness and cultural references in this episode compliment the humour rather than carry it.

You Only Move Twice has none of this. The reason Homer even gets the new job is really lazily written, as if it were a mere afterthought. The whole episode is just a vehicle for this one off character to do a lot of zany and wacky stuff for 15 minutes with the writers shoving in as many cultural references as possible. It's like a Family Guy episode (That is NOT a good thing).

I'll admit when I first watched it when I was 8 I thought it was funny but now that I'm older and looking back on it it really is a poor episode that looks as though it was thrown together in 10 minutes. Unfortunately though this episode was well received at the time and thus encouraged the writers that wacky episodes were the way to go.

It amazes me when people say The Principal and the Pauper was the beginning of the end and that Hank Scorpio represented some sort of pinnacle of The Simpsons.

Hank Scorpio was the beginning of the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I think drugs are bad and are vastly over prescribed.

Most colds/flus should not be treated with antibiotics. Anti-depressants should only be prescribed when there's a real risk of suicide (400,000???). Even painkillers should be highly restricted.
    People shouldn't take a pill to help live life unless it's potentially going to save their life .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hank Scorpio was the beginning of the end.

Hes still one of the greatest one episode characters ever though. The difference between the wackiness of that episode and of the new stuff is that was genuinely funny. There was always some element of unbelievability in the older eps too but it was within reason, and most importantly it was funny, sure look at how many times Homer should have been killed through some horrible accident in the early ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Most colds/flus should not be treated with antibiotics. Anti-depressants should only be prescribed when there's a real risk of suicide (400,000???). Even painkillers should be highly restricted.
    People shouldn't take a pill to help live life unless it's potentially going to save their life .

Bit extreme don't you think.
    What if you put your back out, or tear ligaments or some such. The pills won't save your life - but i'd really rather have them anyway!

And that's before we even mention going clubbing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So people should have to suffer chronic depression, making everyday of their existence a misery, until they reach the point of suicide? Many would argue that taking antidepressants is saving a life by letting someone live their life. Depression isn't a one cap fits all scenario.

If you think drugs are bad, m'kay, do you believe people shouldn't be given anti-psychotics if they suffer from schizophrenia? Should people who suffer from Crohn's disease not be allowed access to medicine to alleviate their symptoms until they develop potentially fatal complications? Should migraine sufferers not be allowed to take painkillers because their condition is not life threatening? A load of me auld bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This is simply a rubbish opinion. And coming from someone who I imagine has never felt their womb trying to gnaw its way out through their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Most colds/flus should not be treated with antibiotics.

Well, flu is caused by a virus so antibiotics won't have any effect. More sensible than unpopular opinion.

Edit Guess, I should add an unpopular opinion too: Dublin is the best part of the country and Galway the most overrated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Yeah, thanks for that, doc. In the real world, we have to get by the best way we can and sometimes, that involves pills. I'm on citalopram, myself. Of course, I'd rather not be. But this is the real world, as I said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 sixtynine2

old hippy wrote: »
    Yeah, thanks for that, doc. In the real world, we have to get by the best way we can and sometimes, that involves pills. I'm on citalopram, myself. Of course, I'd rather not be. But this is the real world, as I said.

Regardless, his point still stands. Too many people rely on too many drugs of dubious value. The world would be a better place if we simply flushed 90% of that crap down the toilet. Most people don't "need" drugs, unless you are diabetic type 1 for example. People take drugs for the smallest thing nowadays. Man up. I sliced my hand once with a knife cutting a tomato. Washed and bandaged with some lemon juice and stitches. Drugs? Nah. No need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Unlimited Bacon

Chloe Moretz looks like a pig in a dress.

sixtynine2 wrote: »
    Regardless, his point still stands. Too many people rely on too many drugs of dubious value. The world would be a better place if we simply flushed 90% of that crap down the toilet. Most people don't "need" drugs, unless you are diabetic type 1 for example. People take drugs for the smallest thing nowadays. Man up. I sliced my hand once with a knife cutting a tomato. Washed and bandaged with some lemon juice and stitches. Drugs? Nah. No need.

Another doctor on call. Marvellous stuff. If I didn't take my medication, I'd be dead or in a ward now. I don't want to be in thrall to any drug but this is the real world and for now, I have to take the meds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I love golf and watching the Ryder Cup is always one of my favourite sporting occasions when it comes around every two years, but at the end of the day, it's akin to the Lions Tour. A trophy on offer, but really just a bit of fun. No American golfer really has it as his greatest ambition in life to represent the US in the competition, it seems to be a more passionate goal for European golfers*. Majors are the be all and end all, and always should be, especially considering that there's no monetary award for winning the Ryder Cup.

*look at the amount of journeymen European golfers who have excelled in the team environment of the Ryder Cup but have been fairly non-existent in the Majors and PGA Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wish I was as tough as you. I just had an extraction and the pain from "dry socket" was unbearable (without difene).

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Chloe Moretz looks like a pig in a dress.
    I just googled her...she's 15 FFS! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I'm getting sick of seeing these kids pop up every couple months with some new song

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Live music in bars is pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You haven't a clue what you are on about. And I hope you never end up in a situation where you need to take a pill to be able to live a normal life, or even leave the house, because it's not a very nice place to find yourself.

iDave wrote: »
    Live music in bars is pointless

Not in my local. Jazz every week, some of my friends are singers & every so often Elvis Costello's bro plays there too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The Script are absolute rubbish.

That Danny guy is a useless singer too.

Did I mention I don't like The Script?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Unlimited Bacon

Boards is gay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Il Trap wrote: »
    I just googled her...she's 15 FFS! :confused:
    It's a ripe old age for a pig, isn't it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement