Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

07 navara slow turn over

Options
  • 25-07-2015 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all. I bought a 07 navara 2 weeks ago and after a few days it started to get very slow on turn over. Thought battery was dying so put in a new 1 but it didn't make much of a difference. Was told it could be fuel filter and went to moto factors who didn't have one (genuine nissan).told them my problem and they told ma try dipetane fuel treatment, which I did and 1st start 1 mile later and problem solved (or so I thought). Put the old battery back in and it was perfect for 5 days with 2 top ups of fuel (also treated) problem started again today with it getting slower and slower to start. Has not fully failed to start but close. Does it sound like fuel filter? Any help greatly appreciated .
    P's I know this 4 x4 and previous owner and this is the 1st time this has happened. Mods if this is posted in the wrong section please redirect..

Also the fuel filter was changed at 97k and there is 134k genuine on it now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Do you mean slow to start or the cranking if the engine is slow?
    Slow to start could be a blocked fuel filter or issue with pump or injectors or pressure sensor on the common rail.
    Slow to crank over could be a starter motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brieny1000

Do you mean slow to start or the cranking if the engine is slow?
    Slow to start could be a blocked fuel filter or issue with pump or injectors or pressure sensor on the common rail.
    Slow to crank over could be a starter motor.

Slow to crank I would say.like a weak battery.

brieny1000 wrote: »
    Slow to crank I would say.like a weak battery.

Well that would rule out the fuel end of things, a blocked filter won't cause the cranking to be slow. I'd be checking the power coming from the altinator & if you can get someone to do a drop test on the battery to check for weak or dead cells. After that check the power at the starter on crank to see if there is a drop off between battery and starter. If all is good there it would quite possibly be a starter motor issue. Occasionally dust from the clutch can clog up the starter.

Well that would rule out the fuel end of things, a blocked filter won't cause the cranking to be slow. I'd be checking the power coming from the altinator & if you can get someone to do a drop test on the battery to check for weak or dead cells. After that check the power at the starter on crank to see if there is a drop off between battery and starter. If all is good there it would quite possibly be a starter motor issue. Occasionally dust from the clutch can clog up the starter.

Was hoping for the fuel filter answer!!ha ha Battery was checked with two prongs (one on positive one negative) drop test?? And they said it was good, but when I turned the key power died. Seems funny that after 1 treatment of fuel it worked perfect. Had a new battery in for that weekend and all well. Put in the old battery expecting to have to jump/charge the battery and it started 1 pick, same all week as I have been doing a lot of driving (new toy)will have to take it to someone toget your suggestions checked as that's beyond my abilities. Bolt off bolt on I might manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

I hope the chocolate engine in it isn't melting into a soufflé.

• Advertisement

316 wrote: »
    I hope the chocolate engine in it isn't melting into a soufflé.

If you refer to the crank bearing issue, Nissan had that sorted by 2007.
    I have seen navaras/pathfinders that have done a bit of towing clogging up the starter with clutch dust. Not saying this is definately the case but it's a posability.

brieny1000 wrote: »
    Was hoping for the fuel filter answer!!ha ha Battery was checked with two prongs (one on positive one negative) drop test?? And they said it was good, but when I turned the key power died. Seems funny that after 1 treatment of fuel it worked perfect. Had a new battery in for that weekend and all well. Put in the old battery expecting to have to jump/charge the battery and it started 1 pick, same all week as I have been doing a lot of driving (new toy)will have to take it to someone toget your suggestions checked as that's beyond my abilities. Bolt off bolt on I might manage.

Yup, that's a drop test, looking for a drop in voltage across the battery to indicate a dead cell or cells. Where are you based op? I run a garage in Finglas if it's close to you I'd be happy to look into it.

Thanks porsche. You were bang on. Starter motor problem. Just pure coincidence that it started perfect after the fuel cleaner.. I'm I'n West cork so a little out of the way!!!
    Thanks for your help

Advertisement