Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian Sandwiches

• 15-06-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Santan

Hi, can anyone help me, i need to prepare some vegetarian sanwiches and im looking for some simple ideas, checked some sites and all im getting is crazy ideas, just want something easy to prepare.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

Vegetarian is easy enough: any combination of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, egg, cheese... I dunno, watercress? Basil leaves? Rocket? Peppers? Coleslaw? The list is endless really, just not meat.

Vegan is just as easy really, you can get vegan mayonnaise (usually only in health food stores), or vegan "butter" such as Pure (in Dunnes, most Tescos, and health food shops, just as cheap as the dairy stuff). I'm a big fan of hoummous in sandwiches, tasty and good for protein. The standard Tesco one is particularly nice and fairly cheap.

One of my favourite sandwiches that's really easy but looks fancy is hoummous, fried mushroom, sliced tomato (cherry tomato if you want to go all out), cucumber, and either lettuce or rocket, on brown bread or pita. Nom nom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Potato salad, sweetcorn and cheese. Nyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Cheddar cheese, cherry tomatoes and spinach on brown sliced bread with lots of black pepper. Nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Roasted red peppers, hummus and lettuce *drools*

But more easily... lettuce, mayonnaise + cheese or cucumber or tomato (add a pinch of salt if using tomato)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Grilled haloumi, mashed avocado, red onion on granary bread with a squeeze of lemon/lime = delish. Not for mass crowds or long waiting periods.

Alternatively mixed mayo salad with or without eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Spinach, blue cheese, and walnuts.
    Spinach and cranberry wensleydale (this is my daily lunchtime sandwich at the moment!)
    Any assortment of hummus + vegetables
    Grilled tofu slices/tempeh and grilled veg
    Chopped up veggieburger and red onion
    Sliced ripe avocado
    Quorn sausages and ketchup!

Edit: AND PEANUT BUTTER! How could I forget peanut butter?

Also, peanut butter and banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

jam sandwiches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Mashed avocado with a bit of salt and pepper. Mild salsa on top. A-mazing!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Avocado, alfafa sprouts and tomato
    Mayo, fake bacon, lettuce and tomato
    Hummous, various veggies
    Veggie pate and tomato

Also there are loads of different cheese - just make sure they are veggie.
    Brie and Cranberry
    Wendsleydale and grape
    Brie and grape
    Mature cheddar and caramalised red onions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Potato salad, sweetcorn and cheese. Nyom!

nomnom!

I usually have corn, egg mayo, hard boiled eggs, cheese, sun dried tomatoes.

also linda mccartney sausages are good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Deborah Bitter Scorpio

Gauge wrote: »
    Edit: AND PEANUT BUTTER! How could I forget peanut butter?

Also, peanut butter and banana.

Peanut butter and apple! Peanut butter and onion! Peanut butter and raisins! Peanut butter! I also like hummus with a small bit of wholegrain mustard and whatever vegetables are around, usually tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Santan

thanks for all the replies have gone with the simple ones so as not to mess up thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I made a yummy sandwich this evening,

This stuff....

dNPS7.jpg

veggie tuna pate, sweetcorn, lettuce and mayo. I used to love tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches and this gave the same kind of taste imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rebellious Jukebox

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I made a yummy sandwich this evening,

This stuff....

dNPS7.jpg

veggie tuna pate, sweetcorn, lettuce and mayo. I used to love tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches and this gave the same kind of taste imo.

Where do you buy this, I'm in Dublin? I commute out to college in Maynooth daily, and I'm looking for simple (cheap) ideas for sandwiches too

Where do you buy this, I'm in Dublin? I commute out to college in Maynooth daily, and I'm looking for simple (cheap) ideas for sandwiches too

I got it in down to earth on georges st but maybe nourish have it too, cant remember if I've ever seen it there.

Not sure if it would be a cheap option though, it's €2.60 for the pack, I'd say you'd use a little less than a quarter of a pack per sandwich (it has quite a strong taste) so I suppose if you were just using it yourself it could make sandwiches for the college week.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

this thread is great but now im starving and its not even 12 yet! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hannahmag

Grated carrot, chopped spring onion, black pepper and hummous sandwich is so tasty.

Pitta with hummous, avocado, chilli sauce, falafel and spinach.

Bagel with hummous, sweet chilli sauce and grilled slices of sweet potato.

Just to name a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sandwiches are one of the few areas I'd of assume vegetarians didn't ever struggle with.
    Obviously a lot of sandwichs have a slice of meat in them, but there's so must other stuff availible at sandwiches bar they its not a requirement.

Stuffing, mild cheese, cranberry and toasted pistashio -

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Eggs chives and mayo are simply out of this world :D:D:D

hannahmag wrote: »
    Grated carrot, chopped spring onion, black pepper and hummous sandwich is so tasty.

Pitta with hummous, avocado, chilli sauce, falafel and spinach.

Bagel with hummous, sweet chilli sauce and grilled slices of sweet potato.

Just to name a few!

they all sound lovely, and very affordable, cheers!

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Sandwiches are one of the few areas I'd of assume vegetarians didn't ever struggle with

pre packed sandwiches are impossible, and in the delis its pretty much just egg mayo, and cheese, both very high in calories and not very good for you

I'm looking for tasty alternatives that I can make myself, and that won't taste horrible come lunch time after spending a few hours in my bag :)

pre packed sandwiches are impossible, and in the delis its pretty much just egg mayo, and cheese, both very high in calories and not very good for you
    A sandwich as a proper meal (and not a snack) needs some thing with decent calories to provide energy. Bread and plain salad isn't enough. Cheese, hummus, avocado, egg are all good options IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lot's of hard boiled eggs is what I go for! Mmm.

Sandwiches are one of the few areas I'd of assume vegetarians didn't ever struggle with.
    Obviously a lot of sandwichs have a slice of meat in them, but there's so must other stuff availible at sandwiches bar they its not a requirement.

Stuffing, mild cheese, cranberry and toasted pistashio -

It's near impossible to get a decent veggie sandwich from a deli imo, I like to avoid cheese as much as possible but at a deli I feel I nearly always have to get it just to have something substantial in there. Making your own is the way to go, you'll never see avocado or hoummous at a deli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

That's why I love Itsa bagel, their Vegan bagel has both avocado AND hummus in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hannahmag

Itsa Kind Vegi is insanley good! And the lentil soup too.

I've started bringing hummous into work in a tub with seeds and chilli sauce in it. You can get bags of seeds in tesco that have sesame and sunflower seeds and probably others. Sesame seeds are full of calcium, so great for vegans! The hummous mix is great in a pitta with whatever other fillings.

Or, Good Life nut cutlets are great in a wrap with salad/hummous/avocado etc.

I have lots of ideas that I will share when I remember.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    It's near impossible to get a decent veggie sandwich from a deli imo, I like to avoid cheese as much as possible but at a deli I feel I nearly always have to get it just to have something substantial in there. Making your own is the way to go, you'll never see avocado or hoummous at a deli.
    When you say deli, do you mean an actually deli or the meat/salad counter in spar/centra. Find a good place for sandwixhes imo.
    I haven't lived in Ireland for a few eyars now. But the delis I went to when there had stuff live avocado and hummus i'm sure. There was agreat one near ChristChurch

There's two delis near my work both have all those options. It can't be just a australian thing.

When you say deli, do you mean an actually deli or the meat/salad counter in spar/centra. Find a good place for sandwixhes imo.
    I haven't lived in Ireland for a few eyars now. But the delis I went to when there had stuff live avocado and hummus i'm sure. There was agreat one near ChristChurch

There's two delis near my work both have all those options. It can't be just a australian thing.

I've yet to see a good one in Ireland, there are just those spar ones, and it is similar in small cafes. If anybody knows any around Dublin City centre speak up!

As I said its been a while since I lived in Ireland/Dublin, but Bite of Life on Patrick st was pretty good. Proper sandwich shop.
    Also, there was also a sandwich place in the epicurean food hall, they had great red onion marmalade. How that stands out I don't know.

• Advertisement

Wish that was still there in the epicurean because they close down all the good things. Only good place now is vegatopia heh.

Shall look into the other one thanks.

Advertisement