Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jaguar X type dieselSport Flashing glow plug light

• 06-11-2008 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hope someone can shed some light on a problem with our Jag X type. My wife drives this car, and yesterday it just would not start for her. I went home and when you turn the key you could hear a rely clik on and off. (it was not the sound of clicking starter). I kept turning on and off the key and finally the engine sarted to turnover but while turning over the glow plug light started flashing and a buzzer sounded. The car started and I took it for a drvie and it has been ok since. I dont want it to let my wife and kids down again.
    Any ideas? is it glow plugs need changing. There is 90,000 miles on the car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hope someone can shed some light on a problem with our Jag X type. My wife drives this car, and yesterday it just would not start for her. I went home and when you turn the key you could hear a rely clik on and off. (it was not the sound of clicking starter). I kept turning on and off the key and finally the engine sarted to turnover but while turning over the glow plug light started flashing and a buzzer sounded. The car started and I took it for a drvie and it has been ok since. I dont want it to let my wife and kids down again.
    Any ideas? is it glow plugs need changing. There is 90,000 miles on the car.

I think the Glow plug light is self explanitory i.e. they need to be changed. When was this last done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The Glow Plug light flashes when you start the car without waiting for the glow plug lights to go off. Try jaguarforum.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

craichoe wrote: »
    I think the Glow plug light is self explanitory i.e. they need to be changed. When was this last done.

Nope. It means the ECU has logged a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ploughbynight

A bit of histroy.
    On the coldest morning the car is not difficult to start.
    The car is never started without being heated and the glow plug light going off.
    When it happened a relay clicked and when i kept turning the key the car turned over and then started meanwhile the glowplug light was flashing and a warning buzzer sounded.
    Since yesterday morning the car has been operating ok.

Thank for the feedback... any other ideas...its the same engine as the ford mondeo...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ploughbynight

PS PS....
    The gklow plugs have never been changed on it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

PS PS....
    The gklow plugs have never been changed on it...

The glowplug light flashing has nothing to do with the glowplugs. It just means there is a fault logged by the ECU. This generally refers to the fuel system malfunctioning. The only way to find out is to bring it to a dealer who can read the codes. I suspect a ford dealer can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

maidhc wrote: »
    The glowplug light flashing has nothing to do with the glowplugs. It just means there is a fault logged by the ECU. This generally refers to the fuel system malfunctioning. The only way to find out is to bring it to a dealer who can read the codes. I suspect a ford dealer can do it.

As the man said. Flashing glowplug indicates a logged fault in the ECU. Any fault code reader will read off the code, but it may need a main dealer to interpret what the code means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

This is the mondeo engine im guessing?

Advertisement