Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nighttimenetwork Podcast

• 10-01-2014 10:30pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought it'd be an idea to get a dedicated thread for this going since it's separate to the radio show. :)

For those that don't know, Ray Foley has started putting out a weekly podcast with JP, Ann Gleeson, Alan Metcalfe and Shauna [insert last name here]. This replaces the podcast only bits that used be in with the regular radio show podcast and is totally independent from 98FM and Today FM.

Can be found:
    Podbean: http://nighttimenetwork.podbean.com/
    iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/nighttimenetwork/id731079428

There're 14 episodes up already, so if you're just hearing about this now, enjoy the binge. :pac:

===================================

Anyway, episode 14. My good god! That pretty much served as proof of why this hour long thing once a week is better than the podcast only bits on its own. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Thought it'd be an idea to get a dedicated thread for this going since it's separate to the radio show. :)

For those that don't know, Ray Foley has started putting out a weekly podcast with JP, Ann Gleeson, Alan Metcalfe and Shauna [insert last name here]. This replaces the podcast only bits that used be in with the regular radio show podcast and is totally independent from 98FM and Today FM.

Can be found:
    Podbean: http://nighttimenetwork.podbean.com/
    iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/nighttimenetwork/id731079428

There're 14 episodes up already, so if you're just hearing about this now, enjoy the binge. :pac:

===================================

Anyway, episode 14. My good god! That pretty much served as proof of why this hour long thing once a week is better than the podcast only bits on its own. :D
    Shauna o'reilly I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Latest podcast had a few interesting topics, the piece about your man's letter to broadsheet about mental health was v interesting. No Ann this podcast though, herself and Shauna are dynamite!

Another podcast tonight but no Ann or Shauna! I'm having Ann withdrawals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Defo going to have to get around to listening to this at some stage. Have they stopped podcast-only bits all together from the show podcast since starting this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

youngblood wrote: »
    Latest podcast had a few interesting topics, the piece about your man's letter to broadsheet about mental health was v interesting. No Ann this podcast though, herself and Shauna are dynamite!

Found that whole discussion very interesting considering it was a heavy enough subject. Looking forward to listening to tonight's one when I get the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Seren_ wrote: »
    Defo going to have to get around to listening to this at some stage. Have they stopped podcast-only bits all together from the show podcast since starting this one?

Yeah this is a replacement for the podcast only bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Also enjoyed the discussion where Al talked about how they can't do what made them who they are on 98, and the lads giving their justification for it. I see both sides but lean a bit more towards Al. They've succeeded with their own style and thus should have leeway to do their own thing rather than listening to advice from people who haven't done so. If they fail, at least they know they failed doing stuff they can be proud of. Whereas if they fail now doing a style someone else is enforcing upon them, it'll only hurt them and make them look weaker in the eyes of future (and past ;)) employers. And you don't need to be crass or inappropriate to be different. At times right now on the 98 show it can seem as if they switch into default 'morning jock' mode, which is against everything they stand for.

It's nice that they're doing this though for those of us slightly starved of the edgy material that made them.

^^^ I loved how during that discussion JP said he had bills to pay and Al said you paid your bills at Today FM no problem, and JP said yeah, but now I pay them better (or something to that effect), made me laugh anyway.

If I were a PD at a radio station, I'd just let them do whatever they want tbh. They get radio. And they're good at it. Leave them to it would be my mantra. Railing against his superiors does sometimes bring the best out in Ray though it must be said. His sarcastic best I mean!

I do enjoy the breakfast show, but I would say it is the weakest (enforced weakness by breakfast time constraints) of their 3 shows (The Blast, Lunchtime at TodayFM and the current show), but the NTN Podcast more than makes up for the lack of any Foley-esque segments and skits imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Was listening to this Monday's NTN podcast and laughed out loud at the "HEY!!!!" bit which hit the nail bang on the head. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Cheers for the heads up on this podcast.

Downloaded the lot of them yesterday.

Great to have them all back just talking sh*te.

• Advertisement

I'm a big fan of theirs since the blast days however took great offence at their recent ntn podcast with the use of the word Fa#&@t used by JP at Ray.
    I have to say I'm not easily offended by anyone but not impressed with the use of the word f@ggot( homosexual) to mean something derogatory. I get the slagging, pi#% taking element of the podcast, it's what I enjoy most in these podcasts. I just didn't think it was a mature/funny response by JP and to be honest I didn't think using the word f***** was their humour. Surprised and disappointed, anyone else?

youngblood wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of theirs since the blast days however took great offence at their recent ntn podcast with the use of the word Fa#&@t used by JP at Ray.
    I have to say I'm not easily offended by anyone but not impressed with the use of the word f@ggot( homosexual) to mean something derogatory. I get the slagging, pi#% taking element of the podcast, it's what I enjoy most in these podcasts. I just didn't think it was a mature/funny response by JP and to be honest I didn't think using the word f***** was their humour. Surprised and disappointed, anyone else?

To be honest, surprised, yes. I winced when he said it. It's not because ****** offends me as such. Ok, I'm not gay but I can trot out the old cliche of having gay family and friends. But the reason I didn't laugh and actively winced was because he said it with aggression and it was such a poor response to the slagging he was getting. The lads have often abused each other and used derogatory terms and I've laughed and appreciated that they mean no harm at all, but this time it seemed a little more 'abusive' or something. I've heard them use gay as a derogatory term at each other before, but it was always in an intentionally immature and ironic way.

It was a once off though I would think. Al got the better of JP and he reacted. JP doesn't seem the homophobic type at all and I'd doubt we'll hear it used as such too often, if at all.

On a different note, is anyone else impressed with how much general knowledge stuff Al knows? He seems to know a little bit about everything. Singing the Sister~Sister theme cracked me up. JP asked him was he an idiot savant. :pac:

To be honest, surprised, yes. I winced when he said it. It's not because ****** offends me as such. Ok, I'm not gay but I can trot out the old cliche of having gay family and friends. But the reason I didn't laugh and actively winced was because he said it with aggression and it was such a poor response to the slagging he was getting. The lads have often abused each other and used derogatory terms and I've laughed and appreciated that they mean no harm at all, but this time it seemed a little more 'abusive' or something. I've heard them use gay as a derogatory term at each other before, but it was always in an intentionally immature and ironic way.

It was a once off though I would think. Al got the better of JP and he reacted. JP doesn't seem the homophobic type at all and I'd doubt we'll hear it used as such too often, if at all.

Yea would hope it's a once off remark, would hate to think it's a common slagging term f@gg@t, they'd use on a regular basis. Heard them using it ironically before but when JP said it, it was def not ironic or intentionally immature. Again I would never be one to moan bout such ****e but was really disappointed in what I normally think are funny witty broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Bard wrote: »
    Was listening to this Monday's NTN podcast and laughed out loud at the "HEY!!!!" bit which hit the nail bang on the head. :)

Alle, Allelu, Alleluia
    Alle, Allelu, Alleluia
    Alle, Allelu, Alleluia
    Alle, Allelu, Alleluia (HEY)
    Speak oh Lord,
    Your servant here is listening,
    You have the message of eternal life
    Speak oh Lord,
    Your servant here is listening,
    You have the message of eternal life (HEY)
    Alle, Allelu, Alleluia
    Alle, Allelu, Alleluia
    Alle, Allelu, Alleluia
    Alle, Allelu, Alleluia (HEY)

Accidentally did this on Sunday... :/
    covered it up with a cough though so it was ok ... I think :L

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

New podcast up. Shauna quit. I liked Shauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

elmoslats wrote: »
    New podcast up. Shauna quit. I liked Shauna.

Ah what ? Why ? Shauna is a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ah what ? Why ? Shauna is a legend.

Today fm suits didn't like her involvement. Seems ann is gone too.

To be fair Ann & Shauna added a huge amount to those early podcasts and got me interested & excited on NTN.....
    Im not sure Im liking the direction this is going in
    ( putting my dislike for Jp's/Alan's 2nd use of the word q@eer as a derogatory term again to one side)

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Oh right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

TheTechGuy wrote: »

That's ****. I'll still listen but, like others have said, the fact that Ann was involved with the lads again got me interested. Shauna is also excellent. I could understand Today FM not wanting internal issues being talked about in such an open forum but damn, stopping them participating altogether is harsh...

Ah ffs Today FM. Won't be the same without the girls. I really thought 98 would have been the ones to start putting a dampener on things.

Edit: Wait, Deeno's in? Woohoo! If Phil joins and it's just a filthy version of the morning show (+ Al) it'll be great but I'm sure 98 would probably have something to say then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Ah ffs Today FM. Won't be the same without the girls. I really thought 98 would have been the ones to start putting a dampener on things.

Edit: Wait, Deeno's in? Woohoo! If Phil joins and it's just a filthy version of the morning show (+ Al) it'll be great but I'm sure 98 would probably have something to say then.

The could call it the Ray foley show et al ...::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The could call it the Ray foley show et al ...::rolleyes:

Ugh... that's awful...

(but I loved it :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrettyPolly155

I discovered this podcast just before Christmas. It's great! Sad to see Ann's gone though... I always feel Ray and JP bring out the best in her, she's a funny lady :)

It really won't be the same without Ann or Shauna, big loss for this fledgling podcast so soon, had huge potential I thought

New podcast up with ray, JP and al.

So listened to tonight's podcast and I take it ray isn't going back to todayfm then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Just getting back into listening to podcasts and this one popped up. I gave a listen to ep. 14 as some posters mentioned above that it was interesting. Indeed it was, nice to hear open discussion on prevalent topics.

Overall, I usually avoid podcasts that are basically just scattered discussions as they can often be tedious, but these lads are very familiar and comfortable with each other so it can be good. However it would be nice if they had some structure or basic topics they're gonna cover. I usually check the info or description of a podcast before listening to it to see if it will potentially peak my interest but they basically leave it blank which dissuades me from spending my time to give it a listen.

• Advertisement

Just getting back into listening to podcasts and this one popped up. I gave a listen to ep. 14 as some posters mentioned above that it was interesting. Indeed it was, nice to hear open discussion on prevalent topics.

Overall, I usually avoid podcasts that are basically just scattered discussions as they can often be tedious, but these lads are very familiar and comfortable with each other so it can be good. However it would be nice if they had some structure or basic topics they're gonna cover. I usually check the info or description of a podcast before listening to it to see if it will potentially peak my interest but they basically leave it blank which dissuades me from spending my time to give it a listen.

I agree! I love the podcast, but I think a little bit more structure and moderation from Ray would serve it well! Delighted to see over in TRFS Thread the 98 show has gained listeners, hope they cover that in the next podcast.

Advertisement