Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

Wow. Can't believe I'm eligible for this. You're freaking me out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭3raser10

guys is this true that u can only give HPAT once now???...
    oh n hello!!! xD

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

Is the name of this right? Will the hpat still be definitely there?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Is it not a bit early starting a thread for something 2 years away? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

This was something I didn't want to be reminded of :( Anyway my GP thinks it'll be got rid of so fingers crossed. Otherwise, God help us all :p

• Advertisement

iwasonbwh wrote: »
    This was something I didn't want to be reminded of :( Anyway my GP thinks it'll be got rid of so fingers crossed. Otherwise, God help us all :p

I don't think your standard GP would know that in fairness, about reliable as me saying it will be gone. Just speculation although the recent report about the HPAT making costing the exchequer could make it's abolishment possible.

I heard a rumour that they're in a 7 year contract with ACER, anyone know whether that's true or not?

You might think that but my GP is a TCD tutor and is fairly well in with those in the know. The best selection process would be to scrap the HPAT and have an interview as well as the points

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

Gps would know more because they right about it in the Irish medical times...which only doctors get

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Layzerman

Not a bit early for this no? :p

As unwilling as I am to say this, I am 90% convinced that we'll be sitting it. At this stage it being gotten rid of would be pretty sudden. We are the next year after all. I'd say 2015 have a better chance :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

The Hpat, will almost certainly be around in 2014, we just have to get on with it.
    To be honest it's a bit too early for this thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I dont think its too early to be honest....
    Well I wish it would be abolished by 2014 but I think its quite unlikely...

Has anyone started preparing by the way? I've just done a few drills and practice exams online..... not doing great :(

I know it's early days yet but for a bit of background why are you interested in doing medicine and where do you want to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cupertinokiid

I know exactly what u mean! I,ve been following boards for years now and never thought i'd reach this change....Time is gunna fly over the next 2 years :)

Ya as far as i know the program for government is to keep the current leaving cert system across the board (including entry to med ) until 2015 at which time it will be reviewed :P

0mega wrote: »

ya i considered that but said sher feck it! :D;)

A year and a half... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Apocladagr0

So what practice material is everyone getting? My plan was to purchase the "hpat practice test 2" but yesterday I discovered it's only 2.5 hours worth of material. I originally believed it to have thousands of practice questions. I want to buy it because it's only ~20ish euro yet I don't want to ruin the only official ACER stuff by attempting it now instead of saving it for this time next year.

-Also, no past papers!? WTH
    Great way to force candidates to purchase your only sample test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

Howdy folks,

In my opinion I do not think it's too early for HPAT 14' talk, well *if it isn't abolished that is, seeing as Medicine is the hardest course in Ireland, in terms of difficulty, so starting early is necessary. Let's not beat around the bush *because only 1% of applicants sitting the Leaving Certificate in the entire country will be successful, which is about 55,000 or upwards. So yes, earlier the better, it can only be beneficial. I'm already bugging my girlfriend, friends and teachers about it so why the hell not.

@Apocladagr0; I attend a grind school (not naming which* but I'm sure you will already know which one) so our school runs a yearly HPAT revision course which I'll be attending this year and next year, by what I've read it's a couple of hours a week for 3 weeks, *along with mock tests and the materials are supplied such as notes/past papers and since I am a student their, no charge is applicable for me, although I am sure it isn't overly expensive for other non-daytime students.

The Med-Entry HPAT course is something I would invest in, personally I will be regardless of the grind school revision course as they're possibly the best HPAT revisers in the country although it's costly but I've been told group deals are much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

@Apocladagr0; I attend a grind school (not naming which* but I'm sure you will already know which one) so our school runs a yearly HPAT revision course which I'll be attending this year and next year, by what I've read it's a couple of hours a week for 3 weeks, *along with mock tests and the materials are supplied such as notes/past papers

Just to point out, past papers will not be provided by any organisation as they have never been released by ACER and no one can leave the test centre without handing everything up.

• Advertisement

Just to point out, past papers will not be provided by any organisation as they have never been released by ACER and no one can leave the test centre without handing everything up.

I'm assuming past questions rather than papers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I'm assuming past questions rather than papers..

They won't have precise past questions, as again, they've never been published. Only what they perceive to be questions close enough to the test.

Would it be unwise to purchase ******** now?
    Would I run out of material by 2014 / will it be outdated?

No I purchased it and there's hundred's of hours worth of material, including a lot of reading material too. I only do 3 drills and a practice exam a week and there's plenty for me to do! plus you'll be really busy in 6th year so might as well get a head-start now :rolleyes:

But its up to you :)

No I purchased it and there's hundred's of hours worth of material, including a lot of reading material too. I only do 3 drills and a practice exam a week and there's plenty for me to do! plus you'll be really busy in 6th year so might as well get a head-start now :rolleyes:

But its up to you :)

Think I'll buy it after I finish Practice Test 2, which I just bought.
    shockingly difficult imo :(
    Has ******** made the questions any easier for you? At this rate there's no way I'll get a good score but then again I've only done 11 questions...

They won't have precise past questions, as again, they've never been published. Only what they perceive to be questions close enough to the test.

It doesn't necessarily have to be precise questions but as long as it has the same style of questions such as section one, two and three, and seeing as it's thought by Dr. Aoife Jones, I'm sure we're in safe hands.

Not at all, I'm preparing this year and next.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Would studying UKCAT questions be adequate for the HPAT?

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Would studying UKCAT questions be adequate for the HPAT?

No, I did the UKCAT last month. It's completely different.

Think I'll buy it after I finish Practice Test 2, which I just bought.
    shockingly difficult imo :(
    Has ******** made the questions any easier for you? At this rate there's no way I'll get a good score but then again I've only done 11 questions...

No I felt the same way when I first started, I was getting like like 0-20 percentile at the start , and slowly but surely, I've reached 65 percentile, which still isn't enough (need at least 80 percentile) but I'm sure with some more practice we'll get there!

Keep trying at it ! :)
    I just think of it this way, if i don't do well in the h-pat then I just wasn't meant to be a doctor. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No, I did the UKCAT last month. It's completely different.

Oh yeh how did the UKCAT go for you?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement