Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ofcom Not using Analysys Mason to Measure Mobile

Options
  • 13-09-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

Ofcom wants to know just how broad mobile broadband is, and has commissioned a four-month study of the subject with a full report expected to go public next January.

The UK regulator has appointed Cardiff-based Epitiro to carry out a study of the UK's mobile operators, logging average connection speeds and latency on 3G networks, so we can see the kind of service customers are getting and compare it to what they were promised.
    via El Reg

I don't think this will be a Whitewash. But bear in mind the proportion of UK users that use Mobile instead of Fixed Broadband is probabily very much lower here which means even if the Mobile networks are identical, the UK network will look much better.
    The last report was concerned with averages, establishing that mobile broadband users got around 24 per cent of the bandwidth advertised, but it also showed huge differences between the networks in packet loss and latency, without revealing which networks did worst. Epitiro won't promise to reveal the names this time around, but it will provide un-obfuscated data to Ofcom who is generally happy to share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote: »
    via El Reg

I don't think this will be a Whitewash. But bear in mind the proportion of UK users that use Mobile instead of Fixed Broadband is probabily very much lower here which means even if the Mobile networks are identical, the UK network will look much better.

AM's track record to date has been abysmal and utterly clueless. They seem to lack even basic knowledge of mobile technologies.

They seem to have fallen hook line and sinker for the wild claims of the mobile operators, especially the headline speeds most often used to show how "fast" mobile midband can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I wonder who the bulk of their customers are?

One way to success in consultancy is telling the client what they want to hear. It's never been mine, so I guess that's why I don't run a big agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote: »
    I wonder who the bulk of their customers are?

One way to success in consultancy is telling the client what they want to hear. It's never been mine, so I guess that's why I don't run a big agency.

Even the UK version of Analysis Mason hasn't fallen for the nonsense.

This is the future of broadband in Ireland we are talking about and it's disgraceful the main consultants are wedded to a strategy that leaves us so far behind the rest of the world.

Advertisement