Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My First Car!!

• 08-04-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, Im looking to buy a second hand car. My budget is kinda low since I'm still in college and I'll be driving it a lot. Just would like to know of anywhere around Dublin that's reliable and isn't too extortionate. Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How low is the budget, when you say you'll be driving a lot, do you mean lots of long journies, motorway etc?
    Any restrictions re engine size?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kiki411

My budget is about 3,000/4,000. Driving up and down to Sligo every week from Dublin so it'll be mainly motorways. Trying to get engine size below 1.5 since this will be my first time insured by myself, so thinking it can't really be too high!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

1.4 Corolla all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

What age are you?
    I'm from sligo - drive up and down every weekend. Something diesel is most suitable...

1.9 TDI Golf, maybe get the golf van. Cheap insurance and tax. PPS number for tax.
    Or older saloon like Mondeo, Avensis or Passat.

That's a long journey every weekend and trust me you want something abit bigger than a 1.5. That wee engine on the motorway/ main roads will drink fuel. Diesel is suitable for that type of milage/ type of drive. People here may not agree but that's my 2c.

Insurance may not actually more expensive depending on engine size, there's lots of factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

I see the 1.4 is diesel. I still think the 2.0 would be a nicer drive and would be more economical at the higher speeds.

Either way Diesel.

Advertisement