Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Architecture vs Dublin

• 23-03-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Right so I'm living in Dublin at home, about to sit the leaving and want to do architecture so much. But I will never get the 490-550 points required for ucd or dit. I'm wondering if moving myself away to waterford is worth doing. Is the course as good as or better than those in Dublin and is accommodation good/affordable? Will people with qualifications from ucd or dit be chosen over me in jobs? Would I be better stay home and go for my second option in business, then into my (very succesful) family business?
    Thanks all for the advice and help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

I work in WIT in a different area.

In terms of the core learning it is very similar to what you will get in DIT or UCD- or the newer degrees UL or CIT. On the QQI framework, all these have been examined and found to be equivalent. Beyond that you would have to accept that their is some snobbery associated with the qualification. Both UCD and DIT have been creating architects for a long time and WIT is new to the scene. The programme grew out of the very strong reputation for the architecture technician programme. As far as I know it closer to the DIT ethos (close to the practice of construction) and less like the UCD programme (more conceptual). The WIT architecture school is in the middle of the city, and has a lovely vibe in its building. Waterford is a small friendly, blue collar city, with plenty of good cheap accommodation and social life.

In terms of jobs- architecture is feast or famine. Four years ago it did not matter who you were or where you were educated- there were no jobs. Now that things are picking up the market will be cleared out soon and it will be hard to find an unemployed architect. So you will be more a function of the overall market for construction, than an individual. Having said that like all of these things, once your career is established you live or die on your work history more than your qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anita12345

Hi, my son who lives in Dublin is also looking at the possibility of studying Architecture in WIT. He would love to go to DIT but the points are very high. Hard to know whether to go for Architectural Technology in DIT as the points are much lower or move to Waterford for 5 years. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Again it is not my area of speciality (so it is worth asking someone from the profession- perhaps in the building section of boards.ie), but my understanding is that profession has become more formal in the last few years. It used to be that anyone could call themselves architect, and so many technicians did so. Now only graduates of a recognised architecture degree can get accredited by the RIAI, and they have increasing roles in certifying the completion of buildings. So I think their is a growing distinction between being a technician and being an architect.

Thanks a lot for you're response invara, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

Some students have studied for 3 years in either WIT or UCC or UL and have then gone on to finish their degree in either DIT or UCD. This would certainly be a better option to become an architect than having to first study technology for 3/4 years.

While the WIT course is recognised, the reality of geography means that the Dublin schools are equipped with the best teaching staff who have their architectural practices based in Dublin. UL is also a very good school however, and as the points are lower this could be a better option. I would also highly recommend it after DIT and UCD. UCC is producing graduates like those of the London Bartlett students of the 80s and therefore I'd imagine they find it difficult to find their place in a conservative Irish environment.

I did see the Thesis projects from WIT 2 or 3 years ago however, and they seemed interesting but far too structured for Thesis level and I had a concern that the projects were not as independently driven as in the other schools.

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the time to reply, all that information it's very helpful. That sounds like a good option to move back to Dublin after 3 years. Also I take on board you're comments about UL but I think he's too late to apply to there as there's an interview/portfolio process.

anita12345 wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, all that information it's very helpful. That sounds like a good option to move back to Dublin after 3 years. Also I take on board you're comments about UL but I think he's too late to apply to there as there's an interview/portfolio process.

Yes that may be the case. You should email admissions immediately to see what the situations is. I think Sylvia Carroll deals with all of this.

Also be aware of the 2 schools in Northern Ireland. Queens University Belfast school if architecture has a great reputation and some of the best architects teach there. University of Ulster is very new however and I've seen students from this school move to Dublin to finish degree.

On a personal level I would recommend that your son puts his energies now into getting the best school. This could mean repeating the LC or doing a portfolio course for the year. While this may seem like a big move, getting into the right school now is important as the best lecturers set the best standards.

Thanks for all that we'll certainly take on board all your comments and do a bit more research. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BLMArch

I'm currently deciding whether to stay in UCD for my final 2 years-.... I'm hearing really good things about UL, but Cork seems like the place to go as a friend down there said the final year work is amazing this year...anyone see their exhibition?

I'm familiar with the work as I've seen it at the thesis symposium twice and when they brought their exhibition to Dublin some years ago. It's clear that they're trying to be an Irish Bartlett but I don't know how good of a job they're doing on it. I spoke with two students in third year from there recently and they learn some very unusual things from Jason OShaughnessy(head of school) and there was a general feeling they were missing out on the fundamentals. If you want to produce this stuff than you should just try to get into the Bartlett.

I think this kind of work that they're doing is very much about the drawing and the model as the artefact or the thing being judged even if they don't like to admit it. The opposite to this is DIT or UCD or Queens where the building is the artefact and drawings and models are just a way to describe that.

• Advertisement

While the WIT course is recognised, the reality of geography means that the Dublin schools are equipped with the best teaching staff who have their architectural practices based in Dublin.

What ever about geography, you clearly do not rate WIT school of architecture and you also have some experience of these schools. Could you identify any affiliation you have and elaborate on specifically why you do not rate WIT school of architecture.

invara wrote: »
    What ever about geography, you clearly do not rate WIT school of architecture and you also have some experience of these schools. Could you identify any affiliation you have and elaborate on specifically why you do not rate WIT school of architecture.

Hi Invara, I would not say that I do not rate it. My knowledge of the school is based on talking to students who are there, have went there or transferred to other schools. It has been noted by them that the tutors in the Dublin schools are better and that the school in Waterford falls behind for that reason. Elsewhere another graduate noted that the schools focus is a bit narrow which I also witnessed at the Thesis Symposium this year. That said it is a very new school and it may just need time. Any graduates from the school are still too young to have made an impact which is also the case in limerick and cork. Time will tell. But if someone asks for a recommendation it is better to advise on an established school.

Hi PaperArchitect thanks for all the information you gave me back in April about University of Limerick. My son did up a Portfolio which was subsequently passed by UL. He got a good leaving cert and was offered a place in UL today.
    Thanks Again.

anita12345 wrote: »
    Hi PaperArchitect thanks for all the information you gave me back in April about University of Limerick. My son did up a Portfolio which was subsequently passed by UL. He got a good leaving cert and was offered a place in UL today.
    Thanks Again.

Hi Anita. Glad to hear. Limerick is a good school with good teachers and a beautiful campus. He should really like it there.

Advertisement