Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

If you could turn back the clock....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A qualified Barrister wondering why he didn't do Astronomy and Space Science? :eek: I'd love to know how astronomy graduates get on when it comes to getting a job in Ireland or anywhere, very poorly I'd say. It's all very well having an "interesting" degree but if you then find you cant get a decent job (or any job) in the area you studied it quickly becomes a lot less interesting.

There's a lot of propaganda out there about science careers, much of it emanating from vested interests like IBEC and the universities. Naive school kids are led to believe that if they do an astronomy degree they might become astronauts, if they do a biotech degree they'll be helping to discover cures for cancer. LOL. In my experience, most science grads regret doing science and wish they had chosen "boring" careers like accountancy etc.

And don't think that spending a few more years doing a PhD after your science degree is the path to an interesting and rewarding career - you'll be overqualified for most jobs and your career will probably consist of one short term academic postdoc contract after another earning a salary which is not much more than the average industrial wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Butterface wrote: »
    I would have started studying my current degree a lot sooner. Spent too many years in my early twenties faffing about. I wish I'd managed to cop on a bit sooner, or listened to those around me who were trying to encourage me. I felt a bit behind in life going back to study in my mid to late-twenties in some respects, but very relieved to be doing something I love now.

+1 Im in the exact same situation, almost 30 and going into my last year of my degree.

When I was 17 after my leaving I did 6 weeks of a degree thats similar to the one Im in now but I really hadnt a clue what I wanted to do and was over whelmed with it all so I quit. I needed a few years to get my head around things but still wish I had gone back to college earlier.

I always admire people who in secondary shcool know what they want to do and are very focused in their career path, I dont know how they do it..I hadnt a ****ing notion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If you could turn back the clock

..I'd spend an extra hour in bed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

dd972 wrote: »
    If you could turn back the clock

..I'd spend an extra hour in bed

Or read the OP properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'd go back to 8 O'Clock today and not watch the Everton v Man Utd game, thus saving myself two hours of torture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 xylophones

NoQuarter wrote: »

I've just qualified as a Barrister this year so there are some exciting times ahead and I've grown to love the law but sometimes I cant help wonder how on earth I got here! Why law!?? It was so long ago I cant really remember my reasoning.
    ive just started my law degree, last year, please dont say ill make it to where you are and regret it all :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I'd do nothing.Waiting for tomorrow is way better than thinking about any fooked up crap you done in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I'd buy shares in Microsoft.

xylophones wrote: »
    ive just started my law degree, last year, please dont say ill make it to where you are and regret it all :eek:

Its a good job but after spending 5 years in college, the truth of the matter is it will be another 5 years before any Barrister is earning more than 20k per year. The first 2 years will be devilling so thats a total income of a big fat ZERO.

Funniest part is most people think we actually have money because of the 5% that are loaded! Tribunals etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd turn it back 10 years and do things differently I suppose can't change it now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I wouldn't study me hole off for the Leaving cert.
    As I'd only have to sit it in hosp and never get the points i needed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

When do the clocks go back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You're asking if I could turn back time? Well, in the unlikely event that I could find a way, I guess I'd take back those words that hurt you, and you'd stay. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Turn back the clock and repeat secondary school all over again. Assuming I still remember everything, i'd be a hell of a lot wiser and would be able to make better choices in my life that I failed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Sit my leaving cert again, and realise it is important. I was one of the "cool dudes" who laughed at the "nerds" listening in class, now there laughing at me!

I said im not going to college no way! Sure I'll go working on a building site. Now where am I?

IN THE FCUKIN GUTTER!! Thats where!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Riddle101

risteard7 wrote: »
    Sit my leaving cert again, and realise it is important. I was one of the "cool dudes" who laughed at the "nerds" listening in class, now there laughing at me!

I said im not going to college no way! Sure I'll go working on a building site. Now where am I?

IN THE FCUKIN GUTTER!!

With the rest of us:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

This time of year makes me reflect on my life all of the time because I see the little nippers getting offered all these fancy courses and heading off to college and it makes me realise how different my life could be had I just chosen a different route or a different course or had taken the time as a secondary school kid to take a step back and consider the future.

I've just qualified as a Barrister this year so there are some exciting times ahead and I've grown to love the law but sometimes I cant help wonder how on earth I got here! Why law!?? It was so long ago I cant really remember my reasoning.

IF I had the chance to go back to my leaving cert, I'd put in more work, go to a better school and apply for Physics with Astronomy & Space Science in UCD. I reckon that area would interest me and it looks like a great little course! Maybe even work toward becoming an astronaut! Would be a cool field anyways.

So AH'ers, if you could turn back the time what alternate route would you take in life? Solely work/education related I'm talking. I dont care if you wish you hadnt fingerbanged stacey from the block. Or if you are generally happy, is there even a "what if" in there somewhere?

Vent.

TL;DR - if you could turn back time, what road would you take? (No Robert Frost/Cher jokes please.)

EDIT - Come on folks, give us more that a 1 line answer, what do you do now and what would you rather be doing???

FCUK YOU OP,

I studied Science, Advanced Mathematics and Engineering and now all I want to do is read law books and be Judge John Deed.

Plus I bitterly regret not asking Cath Ftz P to go to the Debs with me coz I had no balls, so I stayed home and dreamt of snogging her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

If I could go back to 20/21 I would swallow my pride and join a ****ty band playing ****ty music just to make some easy cash, but no I had to take the hard route because **** the mainstream, man.

Ah screw it, no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

OP, I studied Theoretical Physics and now spend (a small amount of) my time wondering if I should have done law.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't change my degree, although I really wish I'd studied something that wasn't a sausage-fest. If I could turn back the clock, I'd definitely have taken some time off at some point after college and sodded off somewhere else. I was always too sensible.

FCUK YOU OP,

I studied Science, Advanced Mathematics and Engineering and now all I want to do is read law books and be Judge John Deed.

Plus I bitterly regret not asking Cath Ftz P to go to the Debs with me coz I had no balls, so I stayed home and dreamt of snogging her.
    Diapason wrote: »
    OP, I studied Theoretical Physics and now spend (a small amount of) my time wondering if I should have done law.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't change my degree, although I really wish I'd studied something that wasn't a sausage-fest. If I could turn back the clock, I'd definitely have taken some time off at some point after college and sodded off somewhere else. I was always too sensible.

Whats the career status now?? Is there money to be made and do you enjoy the job? Is the only viable route a PHD adn then years of working for feck all?

Come to think of it, is there any job in Ireland where you go do your degree, and then get a well paid job straight from college with career progressions available?!!

Law is in shambles now so dont ponder too hard. A law degree alone is useless in the current climate. After law school you need to decide what route to take, go the solicitor route and you are dependent on getting a job in a firm to progress. Go the Barrister rute and while you are not dependent on anything, the work just isnt there in the early days. And the biggest hurdle is sticking it out for literally, years! If you manage that then hopefully there is reward!

Maybe accountancy was the way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

risteard7 wrote: »

IN THE FCUKIN GUTTER!! Thats where!

A gutter with internet access? Ritzy!

Whats the career status now?? Is there money to be made and do you enjoy the job? Is the only viable route a PHD adn then years of working for feck all?

Come to think of it, is there any job in Ireland where you go do your degree, and then get a well paid job straight from college with career progressions available?!!

I didn't end up working in physics, but then again I never really intended to work in physics. I did the primary degree, decided I was never going to be good enough to do anything REALLY meaningful in TP, so I took the mathematical stuff and went into finance. At the time (14 years ago) that didn't make you a social pariah like it does now.

(Incidentally, I'm one of those strange people who doesn't see college as a means of getting a job, more as a means of learning how to think and solve problems, so the TP degree never held me back. I genuinely don't understand why people think of college as a stepping stone to a specific job (outside of the obvious ones), but that's for another thread.)

I didn't end up working in physics, but then again I never really intended to work in physics. I did the primary degree, decided I was never going to be good enough to do anything REALLY meaningful in TP, so I took the mathematical stuff and went into finance. At the time (14 years ago) that didn't make you a social pariah like it does now.

(Incidentally, I'm one of those strange people who doesn't see college as a means of getting a job, more as a means of learning how to think and solve problems, so the TP degree never held me back. I genuinely don't understand why people think of college as a stepping stone to a specific job (outside of the obvious ones), but that's for another thread.)

Its actually finance where Im headed myself! Funds law is the goal.

Its actually finance where Im headed myself! Funds law is the goal.

You're gold, then. Major growth area in the business! :)

You're gold, then. Major growth area in the business! :)

Yep, Im looking good. Will still always wonder if I could have been the next Brian Cox though :D

Although this thread has helped to ease my worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Happy with the route i took. Love my job, wish it would pay better tho. I double job so that helps, but means LONG hours.

Would love to go back to school just so i could stand up to teachers i was afraid of. Especially the one's that laughed and ridiculed me in front of the class when i told them i was goin to work in media. Here i am anyway, simple diploma in the back pocket doing what i've wanted to do

Advertisement