Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

rehoming an old cat?

• 08-08-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

i was just wondering if anyone has any kind of advice, or thoughts on trying to rehome an old cat. in 3 weeks im fostering an 8 year old female cat! the cat is currently with my sister who took her from a vet about 2 months ago, who said if they didnt find a home for this poor cat they'd put her down! so my sister took her as an animal lover, who didnt want to see a poor cat put down (whether they would have or not is another story!!)
    anyway, my sister already has a 2 year old cat and for the past few weeks theres absolutely NO hope of these 2 (female) cats living together in peace! and its unfair and stressful for both of these cats to be living like this! my sis has rang shelters and vets but says no one is interested in taking an old cat!!
    so i said ill take her on until we can find a new home for her. She is an affectionate cat who's extremely overweight (and has been before my sister took her), she is an indoor cat and my sister says all she wants is a lap to sleep on and peace and quiet! (theres 3 lively kids running around my sisters house too :) ) but its come to a point where my sisters 2 year old cat wont even come into the house anymore and lurks at the bottom of the garden keeping an eye out!!!!
    The only problem with me taking her, is that in about a years time i want to go travelling for a year or two! and i dont mind keeping the cat until then, but first of all, i dont want to be stressing out about finding a new home the days coming up to me leaving, and second of all, apparently this cat has been rehomed 5 times before my sister took her, and i think its unfair to be moving her again in a years time!!! my heart goes out to this poor thing!!has anyone had any experiences on trying to rehome an old cat?? or any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I can sympathise - I've got 3 groups of pets that all have to kept seperate from each other, it's not fun. It's also really hard to find homes for kittens at the moment, let alone an adult.
    Would she not reconsider keeping her. Many cats in a multi-cat household don't get on, they just learn to avoid each other. I've done it with two males who hated each other - it takes a while, but they'll get used to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

It takes a long time for some cats to become comfortable with each other. I have a 15 year old lady here that never got on with other cats. She first came here from my parents about 5 years ago and in that time the population here has sort of crept up. When she first arrived she would swipe at any of them that came too close and a couple of them she would go after from time to time. At this stage she will actually sniff noses with them and only give the odd swipe if they are too cheeky.

But as I say it does take time and you do have to be prepared to just ignore any battles as long as they can get away from each other. If there are litter trays you have to provide enough for all plus one extra and make sure that they are places that someone can't guard all of them, or lie in wait too easily. Similar with feeding bowls that they need to be accessible to all without anyone being able to keep anyone from eating.

As PlanetX says, homes for kittens are tough enough to find right now, so very few homes for adults out there. Unless you can find a friend or relative that will take them in as a favour I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mc155

What part of the country are you in? My parents may be in a position to re-home an older cat in a month or so. They can't take her any sooner as my father has to have surgery.

Dad would love another cat so she would be ideal.

Advertisement