Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish on Babbel

• 07-04-2014 3:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm attempting this on Swedish Babbel's beginner course. So far, so good, in that it is a gradual ramp up from the basic saluations. Rather surprised on how, on the surface level, Swedish resembles German,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Well it certainly has been influenced heavily by German,there has Always been a large and influential German Community in the Sthlm reigon that continues to this day.Though if I were to be really honest I would opine that spoken Danish seems to have a much more Germanic brytning (accent) than Swedish.
    And poor Skåne are caught in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have some German and French and a tiny bit of Dutch.
    It's amazing how Swedish has given lots of words to those languages, or is it the other way around...

I have to ask.... Why are you Learning Swedish? Are you planning on moving to Sweden? Impress the women? Work related? Just for ****s and giggles?

The reason I ask is because you can hear 10 year old kids here with a level of English comparable to an Irish leaving cert honours French C/B grade.By the time your run o the mill, snus munching Swede hits 20,they have a near flawless level of English,complete with American Accent.

English is ubiquitous here and the amount of work related buzzwords commonly used grows exponentially.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For the intellectual curiosity and that I might take a holiday there.
    For the former as per a post in the Languages forum, there was a book "Fluent in 3 months". I don't believe that, but was interested to see how much of a language I could acquire spending an hour a day over that period, and rather randomly picked Swedish as it (at a guess), give be a basis to understand other Nordic languages.
    For the latter, it always seems to be polite when visiting a country to have a basic command of their tongue, and will not be aiming for more that an A2 level (-wiki.)

I had noticed when browsing Swedish Computer sites the common use of English terms.

• Advertisement

crockholm wrote: »

English is ubiquitous here and the amount of work related buzzwords commonly used grows exponentially.

The big influx of English words into Swedish came in the 50's & 60's. Its actually dropped off since then.

Manach wrote: »
    For the intellectual curiosity and that I might take a holiday there.
    For the former as per a post in the Languages forum, there was a book "Fluent in 3 months". I don't believe that, but was interested to see how much of a language I could acquire spending an hour a day over that period, and rather randomly picked Swedish as it (at a guess), give be a basis to understand other Nordic languages.
    For the latter, it always seems to be polite when visiting a country to have a basic command of their tongue, and will not be aiming for more that an A2 level (-wiki.)

I had noticed when browsing Swedish Computer sites the common use of English terms.

Oki-doki. Although I can envision the scenario whereby you sit down for a meal at a restaurant and order something in your finest 08 or rikssvenska and the waiter responds in kind,which stumps you,and he then asks you in English:D you come to the realization that "fvck etiquette-I'm speaking English from now on":pac:
    You will see what I mean by the pervasiveness of English when you come on over.And if you do you can Always pm,if you want a Little advice/tips/things to do list in the Sthlm region:cool:

Nothing fine about Stockholmska.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Oki-doki. Although I can envision the scenario whereby you sit down for a meal at a restaurant and order something in your finest 08 or rikssvenska and the waiter responds in kind,which stumps you,and he then asks you in English:D
    Many thanks for the offer. Though being a contrary type I might reply in Irish. Which AFAIR consists mostly of half remembered prayers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Manach wrote: »
    I'm attempting this on Swedish Babbel's beginner course. So far, so good, in that it is a gradual ramp up from the basic saluations. Rather surprised on how, on the surface level, Swedish resembles German,

Hej Manach! Vad roligt att du lär dig svenska :)

Well it certainly has been influenced heavily by German,there has Always been a large and influential German Community in the Sthlm reigon that continues to this day.Though if I were to be really honest I would opine that spoken Danish seems to have a much more Germanic brytning (accent) than Swedish.
    And poor Skåne are caught in the middle.

I'd agree. If you think Swedish sounds German you ought to hear the Danes :D
    biko wrote: »
    I have some German and French and a tiny bit of Dutch.
    It's amazing how Swedish has given lots of words to those languages, or is it the other way around...

Oh, Biko! Don't get me started :pac:
    I love languages and how words are borrowed from one another. I studied some linguistics and could go on forever! :o:D (Also, I decided to live in the Netherlands for a while when I was younger purely to learn the whacky language that one could basically read and understand without knowing a single word of Dutch!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement