Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

adventure to europe

Options
  • 17-07-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Evening guys,

need some answers/ advice! have done a search but not finding anything that i can use

looking to Buy a car and drive it around europe for a month(in a nut shell)

but have a few queries first!

the car will only be driven in england (well from dublin port on), whats the situation for me needing tax/nct. (car WILL be insured)

been given lots of warnings from friends and family regards the police in europe asking for bribes etc. what kind of encounters could/should i expect

we have rough routes set out, but what extra costs should we expect( expect for ferry costs, petrol, b&b's etc)

Anyone have any suggestions for (ferries and b&b's)

any advice or wise words are welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

toll fares can be a killer. and i think the price of fuel in france and england is higher than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are you planning on buying the car just for this trip? If so, have you considered flying to France and renting a car for the month there? When you work it all out (savings on ferries, insurance, reliable car, etc) it may well be cheaper. I picked France because car rental seems to be surprisingly cheap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 festesio

Yeah my bro suggested the renting in France, we keeping that as a back up plan if the first one doesn't work out!

Anyone else got any tips, I'm really interested in the tax/nct situation but cannot for the life of me find it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

French police are strict, ensure you have all documents for the car and yourself. They can fine on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

It cost me 160euro to rent a Toyota Yaris from Hertz in France (Carcassone) for a week last year. Actually got 'upgraded' to a 1.6 petrol Opel Zafira People carrier (dog of a yoke). My parents go there regularly, they're just back and they rented a Golf with a 2L diesel engine, struck me as pretty much the ideal car to do big miles around europe as fuel cost more there.

Considering you're insured and the cars brand new i'd consider the 800euro odd in car rental to be money well spent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement