Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2nd hand cars still selling?

Options
  • 16-07-2008 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

i am going to come into possesion of a brand spanking new company car. long story short i am going to try and sell my old war horse.

are second hand cars still selling? or am i going to be lumped with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Of course they are still selling, but it's just that you might not be too happy with the price you'd be forced to sell your current motor at. What kind of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

There are not selling at the cost you might be expecting, however most people are greedy and ask for stupid amounts of cash.

Check out other cars for sale similar to yours, and reduce the price to make it stick out from the crowd.

And if your gonna put it on a classifieds clean it and take good pictures, not some dodgy 0.5 megapixel phone camera stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

ah my da was saying it to me the other day that 2nd hand cars aint sellin.

well what would a resonable price for a 2000 avensis with 51k miles. just nct and taxed til end of year fetch these days?

was on the likes of carzone and what not but what would a realistic price be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

carzone is realistic. in fact, it doesnt get much more real.

from your description, if you want to sell the car soon, it put it up at 4,500 and take 4 for it if need be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

thats what i was thinking alright.

its like the autotrader ad..... my da way way off!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I sold my mini the first week i advertised it and got what i asked for it, but that was because it was a lovely tidy car, lots of extras and still 1500euro cheaper than the next cheapest basic model on carzone. In other words, i was realistic about the pricing. I priced it at a small bit more than what you could buy similar spec in the UK for. It helps if its a little more desirable than the basic models, as in comes with some trimmings and has been looked after.

In general, the market is pretty stagnant but only because people are refusing to face up to it and take lower prices for their cars. Everyone knows about the UK now and are not going to be duped into paying more than the prices that are available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Bendihorse wrote: »
    I sold my mini the first week i advertised it and got what i asked for it, but that was because it was a lovely tidy car, lots of extras and still 1500euro cheaper than the next cheapest basic model on carzone. In other words, i was realistic about the pricing. I priced it at a small bit more than what you could buy similar spec in the UK for. It helps if its a little more desirable than the basic models, as in comes with some trimmings and has been looked after.

In general, the market is pretty stagnant but only because people are refusing to face up to it and take lower prices for their cars. Everyone knows about the UK now and are not going to be duped into paying more than the prices that are available there.

+1 .. Got it in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Táck wrote: »
    carzone is realistic. in fact, it doesnt get much more real.

I have to disagree, alot of dreamers put cars up on the likes of carzone with just silly asking prices. What you ask for it isn't the same as what you may get for it. Most cars up there unrealistically priced are still up there, unsold.

Use carzone prices as ball park figures if you wish but don't take them as being writen in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

Must say i find carzone pretty useless myself, a lot of people might not have an idea what they're looking for and you've to be a bit specific. Putting an ad in autotrader as most people will flick through that. Nearly all the calls i've had are from people who have seen the ads on the car itself, good idea to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

oh i agree, carzone is a fantastic place for dreamers. i often look at cars and laugh at people asking silly money for their car(s). particularly private sales. you just know the type, been to every garage, shocked at trade in prices so think they will get it on carzone. muahahaha...

but you, well i wouldnt, go out looking to buy the most expensive car i can find. as soon as you input the details on page one, just scroll right to the bottom and see what the realistic prices are. top of the pagers, have their heads in the clouds!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Imperator

I love the guys selling 06 and 07 5 series Diesels for the price of a new one or more in some cases. Are they just not updating their adds on carzone or are they living in denial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Imperator wrote: »
    I love the guys selling 06 and 07 5 series Diesels for the price of a new one or more in some cases. Are they just not updating their adds on carzone or are they living in denial?
    Perhaps they're hoping that their car will be bought by somebody who doesn't know about or understand the significance of the new tax system. I'll bet there's still plenty of people in that category.
    There's a sucker born every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭sk8board

Táck wrote: »
    as soon as you input the details on page one, just scroll right to the bottom and see what the realistic prices are. top of the pagers have their heads in the clouds!

+1, always start from the bottom of the results, find the cheapest model/spec you are looking for, and use that as the benchmark.

Carzone is realistic if you only include the cheaper half of the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

sk8board wrote: »
    Carzone is realistic if you only include the cheaper half of the cars.

Aye.

The worst about the likes of carzone is people under valueing their cars.
    Eg. One fella has his car the cheapest at €20,000. The next fella wants his the cheapest so he puts it in at €19,750 and so on so forth. I know it's only to a certain extent that people will lower their prices, but alot of people do under value their cars some times which f's it up for other's.

Advertisement