Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So I bought another classic boat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A very little video of the very little boat :)

20140517_132648.jpg

20140517_132654.jpg

20140517_132949.jpg

20140517_133003.jpg

20140517_133010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Looks great Fergal, how does handle on the water?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

She's not bad better than I though she would be, you can get on the plane by moving your backside forward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

e88bb9df_20445778.jpeg

I only know of two others that have survived and one of them is a family Heirloom but if I put her up for sale you will be the first to know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Now I know who robbed the badge from my car's bonnet!
    (just kidd'n)
    Well done, she looks cool, now you nned to get a two-tone red-white MGA to tow her!

I just picked up this little johnson that I think I will do up in the red and white colours to match the boat it should look a bit better than the merc. :)

20141110_125620.jpg

20141110_125649.jpg

20141110_125631.jpg

This one is a little bit smaller again :) she is an old R/C steamliner by Kyosho it's missing some hardwear and a windshield among other bits and prices of the R/C it also has a broken rudder and antenna but I sure I can bring some sort of life into her :)

20150410_151812_zps0dzldfks.jpg

20150410_151746_zps5a2ahu45.jpg

20150410_151736_zpsolnf5mcz.jpg

e88bb9df_20445778.jpeg

Well I found my next project "boy o boy what a project" so my baby will be going up for sale in the next few days :( you have first refusal as promised :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

I sensed something was in the pipeline between posts on Facebook then the vid on YouTube. Looks like my miserable existence has some meaning again 😜ðŸ‘🼠can't wait to see how this one unfolds

• Advertisement

insebayguy wrote: »
    I sensed something was in the pipeline between posts on Facebook then the vid on YouTube. Looks like my miserable existence has some meaning again 😜ðŸ‘🼠can't wait to see how this one unfolds

If all goes to plan this will be the project to end all projects :eek: it's the wheelchair adapted cruiser and here is a sneak preview of whats ahead of me. :confused:

received_935553633134229_zpsuldakspy.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Ready by summer??

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭insebayguy

What. The. &@*%?!?!?!. Please tell me this is a submarine?? How long had she been under water? Why? This can't be called a "project"!! That word relates to 250 pcs jigsaws, painting a bedroom etc. This is mammoth! Really can't wait to see this baby developing. Will you be able to get this into your work station (back garden)?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I'm so excited to see this. As always it'll be great to watch, and you'll have an entire community behind you fergal! The best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Offline for a couple of days visiting the grandchildren (and don't have an iphone) and come back to this exciting news :) Present location ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Wow Fergal you are some man to take on a challenge. Best wishes with the new project.

There are some 'sunken jewels' out there for sure :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Are we allowed to ask what sort of boat she is or will there be a grand reveiling?

Skuxx wrote: »
    Are we allowed to ask what sort of boat she is or will there be a grand reveiling?

She is a 1970's Richardson "roving gem" generation 4 I think it's the same hull as an ocean 30 here is another sneak peak taken after the refloating. :eek:

received_935553553134237_zpsk9u69w6n.jpeg

I (respectively) disagree that its an Ocean 30 hull Fergal. The chine is too angular on your boat and the 'step' below the gunnel isn't on the Ocean/Broom 30.

Obviously I am open to correction but I think its a Seamaster 30 hull, which isn't a bad thing, my Da had one for years. If you know the beam you could confirm as the Seamaster was beamy for its time.

Ferris wrote: »
    I (respectively) disagree that its an Ocean 30 hull Fergal. The chine is too angular on your boat and the 'step' below the gunnel isn't on the Ocean/Broom 30.

Obviously I am open to correction but I think its a Seamaster 30 hull, which isn't a bad thing, my Da had one for years. If you know the beam you could confirm as the Seamaster was beamy for its time.

Sorry your right my mistake it's a seamaster30 I was looking up Ocean 30's at the time :) it's 11ft 3ins beam.

• Advertisement

it says 11'6" here: so its in the right ballpark. Also I'll always remember that hullshape, the 'oul fella had me painting it that often. :P

Great handling hull btw. Slams upwind a bit in heavy stuff but capable and very maneuverable. Driven properly it would spin in its own length and was easy to berth single handed. I would imagine that the lay-up is on the brick ****house side of heavy.

What engine is in her, is it salvageable?

it says 11'6" here: so its in the right ballpark. Also I'll always remember that hullshape, the 'oul fella had me painting it that often. :P

Great handling hull btw. Slams upwind a bit in heavy stuff but capable and very maneuverable. Driven properly it would spin in its own length and was easy to berth single handed. I would imagine that the lay-up is on the brick ****house side of heavy.

What engine is in her, is it salvageable?

Yep there sure is a lot of fibreglass in her and it's going to be tricky cutting out for the wheelchair ramp I would like to come in from the side but it would need a lot more structural support than the transom, lots of thinking to do. :confused:
    I don't know much about diesel cruiser engines but it might be a perkins 4236 and she is up and running now.

20160305_144356_zpstqozdccl.jpg

Defo not a Perkins, I would guess a BMC captain, very popular on British broads type cruisers. Better engine I've been told, especially since it runs now.

On the aspect of side to / stern to access I don't know which would be best. The Shannon has a mix of both, but not at every harbour. Also what to do about differing heights of jetty's etc.

Its a big challenge and I can't wait to see your solution and what else you do to the boat.

Defo not a Perkins, I would guess a BMC captain, very popular on British broads type cruisers. Better engine I've been told, especially since it runs now.

On the aspect of side to / stern to access I don't know which would be best. The Shannon has a mix of both, but not at every harbour. Also what to do about differing heights of jetty's etc.

Its a big challenge and I can't wait to see your solution and what else you do to the boat.

I think your right again I remember seeing the word captain on the side of the engine had no idea what it meant :roll eyes: :) I learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Why did it sink do you know? A lot off work in that better off buying a barrel of epoxy.

fergal.b wrote: »
    I think your right again I remember seeing the word captain on the side of the engine had no idea what it meant :roll eyes: :) I learn something new every day.

They have different sizes, BMC 1.5 & 2.5 I recall, taken from Sherpa vans I think. I would guess that yours is a 1.5 with about 35hp so its no speed merchant but you'll see 5 or 6 knots which is plenty in my view.

The 4236 is what we have and its a good engine but it would be a lot bigger and therefore may give you layout issues. The 4236 would get you to above hull speed with that hull but realistically what you have there is A1.

Why did it sink do you know? A lot off work in that better off buying a barrel of epoxy.

After the owner passed away she was neglected and a chain or something was left rubbing against the hull wearing a hole in her. All donations of epoxy are welcome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭snowwolf

Fergal are you Telling me this is your new project ???.

snowwolf wrote: »
    Fergal are you Telling me this is your new project ???.

If all goes to plan it will be :) I have two boats up for sale at the moment to help fund it :( will be sad to see them go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭snowwolf

Jesus you are going to have some job on your hands there . rather you than me . i will be looking forward to see how this turns out .

Advertisement