Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Performance improvement plan

Options
  • 20-07-2017 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

After working for more than 5 years, I've been put on a Performance improvement plan. I have very little hope to succeed, do you know if I'm entitled to receive redundancy if I get dismissed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

sushmita wrote: »
    Hi all,

After working for more than 5 years, I've been put on a Performance improvement plan. I have very little hope to succeed, do you know if I'm entitled to receive redundancy if I get dismissed?

Why have you resigned yourself to this not working?

Redundancy wouldn't come into it

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sushmita

Soups123 wrote: »

I haven't resigned. There is a possibility to get dismissed at the end of the plan if my performance doesn't improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Redundancy means that the role has been made redundant, not the person.
    If you don't meet the performance requirements for the job and they're going to let you go, you're not entitled to a payment. Their performance plan has to be fair though, if they're managing you out the door, that could be a problem for them under employment law.

I haven't resigned. There is a possibility to get dismissed at the end of the plan if my performance doesn't improve.

I didn't say you resigned I said why have you resigned to not succeeding.

Do you want to keep this job or are you not too bothered.

Sorry, I've understood your message now. English is not my first language.
    I feel beaten. I read that in most cases this doesn't work, if your manager wanted you to improve your performance, wouldn't involve hr and send you on such a plan.
    I'm scared now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Depends on the company of course but in any company I've worked for, a PIP is administered by HR who ensure that the target outcome is realistic and achievable, usually set at the minimum competence level for the job in question.

Have you some sort of feeling that they have it in for you so that's why you won't pass it or is something else at play?

Sorry, I've understood your message now. English is not my first language.
    I feel beaten. I read that in most cases this doesn't work, if your manager wanted you to improve your performance, wouldn't involve hr and send you on such a plan.
    I'm scared now.

What sort of company do you work for?

A PIP has to be performed and measured in a fair way, the targets for achievement they set you has to be realistic and measurable, it cannot be designed to make you fail.

If you have been there 5 years surely you have performed at some point to the level expected.

It's important for you to know what it is your are being asked to do, what commitment you have from your line management to help you and that you treat this formally take notes, send minutes after meetings and keep them honest

368100 wrote: »
    Depends on the company of course but in any company I've worked for, a PIP is administered by HR who ensure that the target outcome is realistic and achievable, usually set at the minimum competence level for the job in question.

Have you some sort of feeling that they have it in for you so that's why you won't pass it or is something else at play?

The plan itself could be realistic, but our systems are not great, there is a lot of manual input (and repetitive manual input) with a high possibility of making mistakes. They are aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If you're put on a PIP you're as good as gone form the company. No hope of promotions etc anytime in the future anyway.

If you've been put on a PIP do you even like it where you work?

Being blunt... I'd start looking elsewhere if you want to progress further

callaway92 wrote: »
    If you're put on a PIP you're as good as gone form the company. No hope of promotions etc anytime in the future anyway.

I actually started looking for another job and now I'll be looking more. So far I haven't heard anything. I'm worried because this is not my home Country and I don't know how to support myself.

• Advertisement

The plan itself could be realistic, but our systems are not great, there is a lot of manual input (and repetitive manual input) with a high possibility of making mistakes. They are aware of it.

Document your volumes of input, keep stats of % of success, when errors occur see what the root cause is and document it. As it was said above HR will run this and companies have to be so safe these days with decisions like this.

By allowing you work there for 5 years has how you performed ever changed or is it only now they call out a problem

It really depends on the company you work for whether this is a kick you out effort or a genuine PIP

It's all about the company. I have put someone on a PIP before and in time seem that person grow to the point were they now lead a team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Stick with it...play the game, make them make it work for you too.
    If the systems are manual and prone to error ensure that it is noted in your meetings and ensure they sign it and acknowledge it as well. It should work both ways. You should show that you are interested in performing how they want you to...but they must also listen to you and take on board your issues with the systems, set them goals to let's say reduce the amount of manual error prone dAta entry.
    If your meeting them monthly make sure you go to the meetings armed.
    Let's say you made 2 mistakes in that month...have ALL the detail ready for that meeting and get your point across that the systems are part of the problem...again make sure it's noted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This is a terrible attitude.

OP, the PIP is your chance to do better. Work hard and you can pull yourself back from this. Don't bother and the rest writes itself.

Document your volumes of input, keep stats of % of success, when errors occur see what the root cause is and document it. As it was said above HR will run this and companies have to be so safe these days with decisions like this.

By allowing you work there for 5 years has how you performed ever changed or is it only now they call out a problem

It really depends on the company you work for whether this is a kick you out effort or a genuine PIP

Only now. I asked different times if I could cover another role, there are other available, but they've never wanted to give me this opportunity. I've been doing the same role for a long time now and all this check and manual input sometimes make me feel irritated and confused. Sometimes I look at the screen with blank face wondering where I was or what I have to do next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

This is a terrible attitude.

OP, the PIP is your chance to do better. Work hard and you can pull yourself back from this. Don't bother and the rest writes itself.

Totally agree.....if you write it off now as this is a way for them to push you out then it'll never work. Remember it's called a performance improvement plan for a reason......not saying that every company abides by the ethos of a PIP but generally most do otherwise what's the point in having it in HR policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

PIP means 'We'd like to fire you but we cant''

After 5 years sometimes people stop trying. Might be best to take a new challenge, get the fire lit.

Does your performance warrant a PIP?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

bilbot79 wrote: »

Does your performance warrant a PIP?

This is a very important question.
    Why was the PIP initiated, was it warranted, did you agree with the reason.

_Brian wrote: »
    This is a very important question.
    Why was the PIP initiated, was it warranted, did you agree with the reason.

Whatever reason has to be written down? So far I have got only an appointment where everything was said in words.
    I was asked if I was aware of the situation (etc... etc...). I said "I'm aware that there are some issues", I used a very generic term, with that I meant issues as manual systems, not agreeing with some procedures etc... not necessarily issues with me (with this I don't want to sound perfect or that I never make mistakes).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

There are a couple of points from an employers perspective to be adhered to for the successful implementation of a PIP.
    -What is expected of you needs to be clearly outlined to you
    - You must get regular feedback as to how you are performing against the PIP.
    -Coaching should be provided to you to assist in getting your performance to the desired level.

A PIP is not intended as a mechanisim to get someone out the door - although a lot of companies use it like this. Its supposed to be about getting your performance back to where you can do what's expected of you with the correct guidance.

Redundency- Doesn't come into it its about your performance, you are either performing to the standard expected or you are not but like I said if you are not they need to outline a plan to indicate the steps you need to take to get your performance to the level required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I'm in an almost identical situation and while I know I need to try and make it work, I'm starting to apply for jobs. My main concern if I stick it out and get let go is how to put it to a future employer and the impact of a bad reference.

Advertisement