Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Siemens SPC panel - alarm activation notification

• 24-06-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello All,

Just about to order a Siemens system (probably a SPC5320). (I thought about a SPC4320 but I think the price difference isn't significant.)

I'm planning to install this system in a house with UPC broadband but no landline. The home phones will be via DECT direct to the base station/ router ( a Fritzbox).

Does the panel come with the ability to send SMS's via Ethernet (i.e. via a gateway)? Otherwise it looks like I'll have to get a GSM module + SIM card etc

Many thanks,

Leo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For now you will need a GSM for text. Down the line there will be other options in some future upgrades to the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

leo738 wrote: »
    Hello All,

Just about to order a Siemens system (probably a SPC5320). (I thought about a SPC4320 but I think the price difference isn't significant.)

I'm planning to install this system in a house with UPC broadband but no landline. The home phones will be via DECT direct to the base station/ router ( a Fritzbox).

Does the panel come with the ability to send SMS's via Ethernet (i.e. via a gateway)? Otherwise it looks like I'll have to get a GSM module + SIM card etc

Many thanks,

Leo

Once you can use an analog phone with your provider then a voice dialer will work with the system. The added benefit with the GSM is remote access via text commands plus more information with regard the zone activations.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Thanks for the info. An expensive little add-on!

Leo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Leo

It is.
    I would hold off for now & go with the IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Leo

That is for sure but it does offer more information with regard alarm activation's plus remote access to the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 golu

Hi,
    For your information I have developed a generic open web interface to Siemens SPC panels, SPC Web Gateway.
    The interface will simplify SPC integration with third party applications and products such as Home and Building Automation Systems, Smartphone Apps and Web applications. The Web API is using HTTP and REST principles (RESTful) for requests to SPC panel and WebSocket to reporting events from the SPC panel.
    You can use this interface to send push notification by email, Growl (iPhone) or NMA (Android). All sensors connected to the SPC are also shared with your Home Automation system.

Excellent, sounds very good. I assume you host the website on your own site? I had considered about using someting like a raspberry pi to integrate with the panel, either via ethernet or the on board serial port.

Would you be open to sharing your code?

Regards,

Leo

You can run the Siemens SPC Web Gateway on your own Raspberry Pi or any other Linux system. The interface is based on Siemens EDP network protocol, i.e the protocol for Alarm Central communication. For more information please visit forum.lundix.se.

Hello Golu,

I take it from the similarity of your usernames that your the owner/ operator of lundix.se?

The product at a quick glance looks impressive & useful I think I would not be alone in having concerns about attaching third party software to my home security system, particularly if the source code is not available to review before compilation. The thoughts of others having access to connected cameras or control of the system is simply, at least not for me, outweighed by the convenience it could offer.

Regards,

Leo

Hello leo738,
    Of course I respect your opinion and concern.
    I just want to explain that my company, Lundix IT, is partner of Siemens Building Technologies Group and has signed an NDA-agreement with Siemens that prevents Siemens proprietary EDP protocol to be revealed. That is the main reason why the SPC Gateway, that is based on the EDP protocol, is only allowed to be distributed in binary form. All the addon modules are released as open-source.

Regards
    Golu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 AZAZ

I have recently upgraded my alarm to a SPC 4320, a great little system and the web interface makes it very simple to work on.
    Anyway I'm now investigating how to remotely monitor it myself.
    I borrowed a Honeywell Inform speech (land line) dialler from a friend and hooked it up to my alarm. It can be set up to dial on 3 separate triggers but I just use one, connected to the internal bell output. If I get an activation call I acknowledge it and then https directly into the panel or use the SPC app to check what's going on. The only failing in this setup is both methods of access are dependent on the landline. From what I can see the SPC gsm dialler is dearer than the panel itself so it is a trade-off I’m willing to live with for now. I’d be interested in the java/mail interface mentioned in the thread as this together with a xDSL Router with GSM fallback would be almost ideal for my set up. Unfortunately Linux/Unix is not my forte so I plan to stick with the 60 quid’ish speech dialler solution for now.

Before I hit the button on Amazon are there any better alternatives to the Honeywell speech dialler?

Advertisement