Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Week 7 Day 1

PM: 9.5 miles in 59 min

New runners today made me feel like i had an extra spring in my step so i was going a good pace so decided to floor it and put in a good solid run. was happy enough but will probably make the rest of the week harder but altogether i happy with how i have come back

Week 7 day 2

AM: 30 min easy running

PM: 2 mile warm up (uphill) 7x2min hills (Hell Fire Club) jog recovery 2 mile (downhill) cool down

With the increase of the number of reps we were doing and the shortening of recovery i didnt know how this session was gonna go but thankfully i seem to be fully back to myself and felt comfortably strong doing them. The last one i managed to even keep uping the pace until i little lapse of concentration cost me a couple of seconds but managed to recover from it and finish the last one futher than i had for the previous 4 before it. All and all happywith how training has picked up where i left off

Week 7 Day 3

AM: 30 min easy

PM: 80 min easy

my second run was only supposed to be 60-70 but due to miscommunication on where to meet the guys for the start of the run i did a little longer. Dont mind though as i missed my monday morning run so was good to make up for it a bit

Week 7 Day 4

AM: 30 min easy

Afternoon: Track work 3600m, 2 min recovery, 1200, 90 sec recovery, 400m, 1 min sec recovery, 800, 30 sec recovery

Times: 13.05 4.12 1.14 2.38 1.13

Due to the fact that i was working this evening i did this session very early and only had about 4 hours recovery so i scrapped the planned session and pulled this one out instead. Happy enough with a little bit faster work especially as first week back

Week 7 day 5

Rest

• Advertisement

Week 7 day 6

3x 1300m (Phoenix Park loop)
    4x 80m v.steep hill sprints

Didnt manage to finish this session was just not feeling good at all maybe a sign that i was not quite ready to just jumpr straight back into full training straight after the little break

Week 7 day 7

16.8 miles in 1.47.03

This long run was a bit of a weird one body wasnt feeling great today so wasnt expecting much especially with pulling up in session yesterday.After about two mile i was going at a very steady pace(bout 10 to fifteen sec/mile quicker than usual). I was so confused as to how i could maintain this fast pace for first 8 mile despite not feeling like body was great. it was only once i started turning back towards home did i realise that there was a good wind which made the second half of the run hell. Slowed a small bit but still managed to maintain a steady pace so i was happy with it coming through race distance in about 1.26ish looking back now nothing wrong with that

Total weekly mileage: 79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ecoli wrote: »
    Week 7 day 6

3x 1300m (Phoenix Park loop)
    4x 80m v.steep hill sprints

Didnt manage to finish this session was just not feeling good at all maybe a sign that i was not quite ready to just jumpr straight back into full training straight after the little break

First session back after a short break can be a killer, I did in them hill on sat but come sunday morning I was feeling great. I'd say you will get stronger day by day now, glad to hear the blood tests were clear. Are you been coached by the club or do you make your own plan?

Well me and my training partner devised our own plan but we have had two coaches look over it and approve what we are doing including one of the top coaches in Ireland. Its designed towards sub 75 for a half marathon at the end of Feb so i am not too worried still plenty of time yet that is why bad session at this stage not that crucial

Week 8 Day 2

PM: 2 mile warm up (uphill) 7x2min hills (Hell Fire Club) jog recovery 2 mile (downhill) cool down

this week there was a a great improvement on these hills my body seems to have adapted better to the recovery. While on the first one i equal distance achieved in my training session last week however it was the fact that i reamained strong throughout. Last week i had dropped back in distance durinig the middle reps and managed to claw my way back on the last two. This week I maintained consistent distance with the last one actually managing further than i have been since i increased the workload of this session. All together happy with how training going and am of the opinion that lastweek may have been adapting after coming back from the rest and easy week while the blood tests were being carried out

• Advertisement

Week 8 Day 3

AM 30 min easy

PM roughly 10.5 miles in 75 min easy pace

Week 8 Day 4

AM 30 min easy

PM 2 mile warm up 6x1 mile 90 sec recovery 2 mile cool down

Times: 5.32, 5.25, 5.28, 5.32, 5.35 3.31(1k)

tough session was completely wrecked and dejected on the last one so i only managed a k still last time i did miles on the track i was only able to do 3 at that pace and was tiring so this is a big improvement. While i am happy with the session i still want to puch myself further

Week 8 Day 5

Rest

Week 8 Day 6

1.5 mile warm up 5 mile tempo 1.5mile cooldown

Time: 30.11 (6.02 min mile pace)

The plan for this was anything under 32 min would be happy so needless to say that when i saw time i was happy. The first mile was a bit too fast as i didnt know where the mile markers were. It was only when training partner called it out did i realise. held back from then and the extra cushion was eroded on the 4th mile as there is a climb of about 150m of a hill on the course.

Week 8 Day 7

Long run. 16.2 miles in 1hr 46 (6.50 mile pace roughly)

At the start of the run i thought my legs felt terrible and was gonna be a struggle to last thankfully the loosened up over the first three four mile and the run was much more evenly paced compared to last week all in all i am happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Week 8 Day 4

AM 30 min easy

PM 2 mile warm up 6x1 mile 90 sec recovery 2 mile cool down

Times: 5.32, 5.25, 5.28, 5.32, 5.35 3.31(1k)

tough session was completely wrecked and dejected on the last one so i only managed a k still last time i did miles on the track i was only able to do 3 at that pace and was tiring so this is a big improvement. While i am happy with the session i still want to puch myself further

Great session. Very impressive.

Week 9 day 1

AM: 30 min v. easy

Due to the fact that i am in work tonight and have a million and one things to do today decided to switch it up and have a recovery day today. My training philosophy allows for felxibility in what days you do what as long as i get the target runs and workouts for the week done at some stage. As long as i am not doing consectutive hard days i am not too worried about what days i do them. Race this week also so a rest day today might do me good allowing me to put in some quality sessions this week without fear of injury. Key is consistency regardless the straining you will nearly always see improvement if you get a good stint of uninterrupted training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭limericklion

Are you running the road relays this weekend for UCD

Are you running the road relays this weekend for UCD

I am indeed not sure on what team yet as i am still awaiting the release of the teams though most likely the B team

Week 7 day 2

Legs were tired today so i was expecting these not to go too well. First one good bit further what i have now established as a finishing landmark that i have been constantly in or around for these. Session went well as i had gained on average bout 2m-3m per rep on last year. 5th one was couple of metres short. On the last one i really went for it and decided to hunt down my training partner. Managed to stcik with him for about 45secs before feeling like i had just been shot and the gap quickly grew. In the end was still the furthest rep of the day so i still happy with how it went

• Advertisement

Week 9 Day 3

AM 30 min easy
    PM 68 min slightly quicker than easy pace

Legs felt less tight today and just generally better. Was suprised how easy the pace felt despite it being fairly quick compared to our usual easy runs however with the race at the weekend I wasnt too worried. Hard session tomorrow so hopefully legs will feel as good as i am training through this race its jus an obligation that comes with being a college runner still looking to take a bit of time off my 2 mile as i rarely get to run it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

still looking to take a bit of time off my 2 mile as i rarely get to run it

I dont reply much to your thread ecoli but i always have a read,your training is impresive.

You say your training for a half marathon.
    What time are you hoping for at that ?
    and,what are you looking for out of your 2m race at the w/e ?

Sosa wrote: »
    I dont reply much to your thread ecoli but i always have a read,your training is impresive.

You say your training for a half marathon.
    What time are you hoping for at that ?
    and,what are you looking for out of your 2m race at the w/e ?

All my training is designed towards doing sub 75. The half marathon is on the end of Febuary so still a while yet.
    Last year i managed 10.40 in this race and i have managed to do two at 11.20 pace in training with 2 min recovery in between a few weeks back so the target time is anything around 10.20 would be satisfactory

Week 9 Day 4

AM 30 min easy
    PM 15 min warm up 2x(5x1k) 1 min recover with 4 min recovery between sets

Target Time : 3.20

Actual Times:3.22, 3.21, 3.19. 3.20, 3.21
    3.18, 3.17, 3.17, 3.17, 3.15

The plan was to do these straight through without breaking them up into sets. The only problem with this was on the sixth one i had to pull out after 300m to throw up. I think that my lunch didnt agree with me. However once i got this out of me i jumped back in with training partner and proceeded and made up for the one i missed at the end. The one thing i noticed in the second half of these reps is that in the 1st lap i would lose roughly 5-10m but managed to reclaim this on each rep. I was happy with this as this showed a bit of a mental toughness that i thought i was starting to lose over recent weeks so roll on the race on Sat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 h8 runnin

Just looking at your training i'd be surprised if you don’t break 75 for the half. keep it up. your long runs are impressive. do you have a Garmin to measure the distance?

h8 runnin wrote: »
    Just looking at your training i'd be surprised if you don’t break 75 for the half. keep it up. your long runs are impressive. do you have a Garmin to measure the distance?

I usually do my runs and use map my run after to deduce the distance and average pace etc. I find it to be accurate as i have measure known distances againts it and found it to be accurate

Week 9 Day 5

PM 25 min v.easy

No food all day and doing it on my break from work so needless to say this was agony never run on such an empty stomach but thankfully today was just getting the legs ticking over for the race tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck tomorrow

Thanks for that it is always nice to get encouragement and even criticism is well recieved about my training or racing plans if anyone would like to have some input. Also if people have questions of the training methods and what my principles are dont be afraid to ask. Looking to hopefully start coaching in the near future and go for my qualifications so explaining my training methods will be an aspect of that i would look to get some experience on and hopefully give people any insight i can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭limericklion

Im always curious about training programmes perhaps being one of the reasons the road relays discussion went off the topic. As you have indicated a willingness to discuss training philosophy if you dint mind what or who is it based upon and are there any athletes that you follow either nationally or internationally that have convinced you on your approach to training. Going on your training diary the development of your aerobic system seems to be your focus.

Advertisement