Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Got a look in a collecter's garage!

• 26-11-2007 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

So I dropped a friend home yesterday evening, and I knew her father owned a vintage car or two, so i asked if she wouldn't mind opening the garage and letting the two of us lads in to have a look. But her father was home, so she got him to come out and talk us through the cars. Turned out he had four, a Alvis TD21, a Hillman Gazelle, a '91 MX5, and a 1979 450SLC. We were admiring them, and he asked if we'd like a spin in one of them. Schweet! So I says to go for the Merc.
    No problem. Gets the keys, tries to start it, but the battery's dead. A quick jump later, and we're out on the dual carraigeway. I've never heard a V8 before, and my God it's a beautiful beautiful sound, I needed no sound system with that to listen to, and the power from it just poured on and on in massive amounts. He said it'd still do the ton easily enough and one thirty at a push, but it was nicest doing forty coming out of a corner and put the pedal down and it just leaps.
    And then he pulled over and offered us a drive.
    Liam in the back took it out on the d'way again, but was a bit nervous never having driven an auto before, but as I had only a provisional, I was **** out of luck. But he told me to come back when I get the test...

A very very good day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Unexpected days like that are great! Your friends dad sounds like a sound bloke!
    Love the Alvis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A Hillman Gazelle? The picture you've linked to is an Australian one, now I don't know about Ireland, but the Gazelle in the UK was a Singer if I recall correctly. Hillman's of that era were the Minx up to 1966 and the Hunter thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

If there was ever a reason to get a full licence that would be it. Did he restore the cars himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Alun you've got it in one, the name Hillman just stuck in my mind but it was indeed a Singer.
    He's been remarkably lucky with his purchases, he can do all the work himself, but the most he's needed to do was put a new exhaust on the SLC, and he got his brother in law to custom make a stainless steel one using the original as a template.
    And his work car is a Legacy too, yum!
    What a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I bet the Alvis was silver........;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement