Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Use Of Spoiler Tags

• 15-11-2006 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Just to be clear - please observe the following spoiler-tag related recommendations when posting on this forum:-

1) Use
    spoiler
    tags when you are posting anything considered 'spoiler' content. Then if anyone chooses to read the thread they can elect to view or ignore the spolier content.

2) When quoting a previous response which contains a spoiler tag, please remember to reuse the tag so that your quoted response does not give away the spolier by default.

It's simple enough folks - please observe the guidelines for those who don't want to have their episodes or plot lines destroyed in advance. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Can You Also Spoiler Tag Anything From The Original Series Of BSG As Well Please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The problem being - how does one use spoiler tags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

It's actually quite easy.

Just enclose the spolier text within the spoiler tags. Here is an example (which I will then explain).

The following is
    stuff within a spoiler tag
    for example.

That effect is achieved by placing the text 'stuff within a spolier tag' between the start and end tags.

Spolier tags are defined between square brackets but for sample purposes I'll use round brackets as follows:-

Start of spolier text: (spolier)
    End of spolier text: (/spolier)

So that message above when typed originally would have looked like this (remember, using square brackets instead of round brackets):-

The following is (spoiler)stuff within a spoiler tag(/spoiler) for example.

Only the bits of text between the start-spolier and end-spolier tags gets masked out.

Make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

this sentence is within a spoiler tag

see attached screenshot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Ok, but say I want to read the hidden text within the spoiler tags (seen the episode already), how do I do that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

You simply 'select' it with your cursor, and the text will be highlighted - and therefore readable.

Hey presto - couldn't be easier :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Question : in an episode-discussion thread, do the above rules still hold if the thread title has [***SPOILERS***] included in it? I ask because it seems a bit of needless overkill to use spoilertags in every post discussing the episode just to make sure that someone who decided to read about an episode they hadn't seen yet and ignore the spoiler warning in the title doesn't then *gasp* stumble across a spoiler. I mean, if we can't rely on people being able to read enough to read a spoiler warning in the thread title, we probably can't expect them to contribute usefully to the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The way I see it is;

Once an episode has aired, anything from the episode can be discussed without spoiler tags in a thread marked ***Spoilers***
    Any future spoilers from promos or other sites should be spoilered with a broad indication of what they're about.
    The only reason I considered using spoilers on the episode 10 thread was because it leaked early on Friday.
    Maybe someone stumbles into the thread thinking it's a pre-airing discussion. Instead I just held off on any details until today.
    This is my way of thinking anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That makes sense; in the context of the S04E10 thread, I hadn't realised that there was also discussion of the next promo trailer going on alongside discussion of the episode. Thanks for the clarification though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Fysh wrote: »
    That makes sense; in the context of the S04E10 thread, I hadn't realised that there was also discussion of the next promo trailer going on alongside discussion of the episode. Thanks for the clarification though :)
    Usually promo discussions are split off into other threads(I believe there's one for the seond half of season 4). But sometimes they'll creep into an episode discussion thread, it's a bitch when they do and they're not spoilered. Anything that happened in an episode doesn't need to be spoilered in the episode thread after it airs.

That's my reasoning from seeing what works best in different tv fora here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 fongcy

{spoiler} stuff within a spoiler tag {/spoiler}

Spoiler:h???

WHAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 R3_Regera

Test
    test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

doesn't work that way anymore it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭midnightblue

For test

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Click on the ¶ to the left hand side of the screen and the spoiler option appears.

Test

Advertisement