Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-11-2007, 12:00   #16
podge018

what are boiled sweets like? I got a big jar of them in dunnes for €5 and after dinner I have 1 or 2 of them and they quench the sweet craving a lot of people get. Im guessing they're okay?
Advertisement
22-11-2007, 22:21   #17
EileenG

They are pure sugar. You might as well eat the white stuff on the table. They'll push your insulin levels through the roof.

Seriously, if you must eat sweets, go for very dark chocolate. Or berries. Frozen berries are a great sweet snack.
(3) thanks from:
17-02-2012, 21:54   #18
acbar

Hi there, Was wondering have you any advice on what sweet treats i could add to my lunchbox. I'm currently Post WW ( got to goal -2st10lbs in december) and now my weight loss is minimal, but would still like to get down another 7lbs. Im training for 10k in may and half marathon in august, and currently running outdoors 4 days p/w circa 5k and have 1 day in gym.
I have a fierce sweet tooth, but overall my diet is very controlled. I always have a little something for after my lunch to keep me going, something like spec**l k mini biscuits or country c*runch bars, but would love some advice on what else i could pack as not only are these costing me a fortune but i would ideally love to make my own flapjacks or something that would give me a healthy energy boost as i know these bars are full of sugar!!! any tips?!
18-02-2012, 09:59   #19
meijin

After being almost completely off sugar for over a year, I find broccoli sweet
You don't really need sugar, especially if you want to lose weight.
18-02-2012, 13:53   #20
acbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijin View Post
thanks for that but my saying is "everything in moderation", i have 3 kids and unfortunately the temptation is always there, I am just looking for the healthy option, if anyone has anything helpful to add...
Advertisement
18-02-2012, 14:09   #21
Gummy Panda
Rub my belly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acbar View Post
Quote:
thanks for that but my saying is "everything in moderation", i have 3 kids and unfortunately the temptation is always there, I am just looking for the healthy option, if anyone has anything helpful to add...
Quest bars

Expensive but lovely. Get them from discountsupplements.ie, predatornutrition.com or iherb.com
18-02-2012, 20:07   #22
meijin

Quote:
haha, OK, no offense, but I don't think there are any "healthy sweets" (as something produced in a factory, with added sugar or sweetener).
I don't understand the temptation thing, and how would kids affect that? Do they force you to eat sweets?

To be of any help... healthy alternative could be some dried fruits maybe? Or even better just raw fruits - has plenty of sugar. Also in moderation

PS Quest bars are protein bars... 20g of protein in each + few sweeteners.

PPS well done on your progress so far!
18-02-2012, 21:15   #23
Gummy Panda
Rub my belly!

Quote:
PS Quest bars are protein bars... 20g of protein in each + few sweeteners.
They are indeed but protein gives satiety and the apple pie ones are truly amazing.
18-02-2012, 21:20   #24
meijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummy Panda View Post
They are indeed but protein gives satiety and the apple pie ones are truly amazing.
Yeah, but having one on top of regular meal might be too much; also quite expensive. I must try this idea some day: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055992322
Advertisement
20-02-2012, 13:56   #25
Glitter

I'm another advocate of "a little of what you fancy does you good".

Since I started my diet I've trained myself to have one square of Lindt "orange intense" dark chocolate each evening after dinner. If I've been to the gym I might let myself have two squares but I'm finding lately I don't want the second square anyway.

I can't stomach the super high percentage stuff yet and I still need the hit of the orangeyness to tone down the cocoa in the dark choc but it's a start!
Thanks from:
21-02-2012, 00:55   #26
saa

Quote:
I know how hard it is having junk in the house if its processed and sweet aim for portion control or look at natural alternatives, like buying one portion of sweets in the local shop rather than bringing back a 6 pack from the supermarket, would something like that work for you? Its a good habit to get into, sweets in the house create so much stress for me, or are there sweets the kids like but you don't?

I think chocolate is better than hard sugar sweets and when it comes to chocolate its all about portion size for me Id rather have a freddo than a bigger bar of something i don't like so much or god forbid have a "share" bag to unconsciously get through.

The only way I can see sweets being healthy is by not being part of your regular diet so individually wrapped things help me and making sure they are not in the cupboards so they are not wreaking your head and the kids don't have easy access to them either (i.e nagging or expecting them and it is so hard to be around trigger foods when youre dieting :P_)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion