Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broken wing mirror

• 26-11-2007 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Newbie learner here, so annoyed. Would be bad enough if I had done it myself, but the car was tidily parked up half on the path (live in busy cul-de-sac). Was plenty room for someone to walk past on path as well, so I reckon it was kicked off, it's the passenger side mirror. It's broken evenly all the way around hanging by the wires, although the glass and structure is intact. Tried to tape it with that brown chunky tape but it's not really sticking and holding the weight of the mirror up. Any other tips? I'm only driving locally at the mo and didn't buy the car around here so no good telling me to go to a garage. Will get it fixed properly at home at Christmas, I just need something for the meantime, ie: is there anything i can buy or use to stick it for the time being? Or just try harder to tape it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Would have to have been kicked off. No human could brush past it and have it smash against their body like that... unless they were running or maybe cycling.
    I suppose you do not need me to tell you that its illegal to park that way. Had you parked all the way on the road, causing an obstruction to other road users, that would have been perfectly legal :D

Best tape is the silver electrical tape (duck tape). Its thick, heavy, strong and sticks to anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Duct tape is probably one of the strongest adhesive tapes you can buy and it will hold most things together for a time, especially if the parts are clean and dry. You should be able to get a non-branded roll for under a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

Get Duck Tape, it's very strong. Any DIY shop or Halfords will have it. It's Silver coloured, heavy duty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Yeah some random cnut... arrgh :mad: Thing is, everyone in our area parks like that, I was parking actually on the road one day and of course a neighbour stopped to give out. Lots of people from work have had this done as well I hear, I guess I was lucky it was only the one mirror.

Great stuff lads, thanks for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shanksmare

did you leave enough room for buggys/wheelchairs to get by? Not excusing someone damaging your car but inconsiderate parking that causes the above foothpath users to have to go onto the road and around the car can piss people off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Buggy definitely yes, wheelchair yes unless it was huge, and in fairness I've lived here 4 years and rarely seen either. Problem in our place is there's no resident parking yet so people park there when they have no right (a workplace nearby) and it's jammed all the time. I can't practice driving weekday evenings unless I've someone with me to park the car on the way back, it's that tight, and that's if there's even a place left for me! Grand at weekends though. Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Some nutter got caught a few months ago in town after kicking/breaking mirrors off over 30 cars in a row on one road and 10 cars on another road, we have 3 cars on the road and neither was broke but one had been kicked, but neighbours cars mirrors were smashed to bits, this was at around 10pm and he was still kicking mirrors off cars when the guards arrived, they spend hours placing notes on the window of the damaged cars stating if they wanted to an incident number for insurance to go to the station to report it, heard nothing since.

Advertisement