Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change about the Leaving?

• 06-06-2003 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Every Year you hear the same thing :

Its too much stress , it should be done away with , the points system is crazy e.t.c

So reply here with your rants/opions/views.

Alot of people say it show be spread out through the year i.e a continious assesmeant. I wouldn't be in Favour of this as I think it would just put constant stress and pressure on students. What I think would work would be to have a half year assesmeant at Xmas and then another one at summer.

Also I think the current timetable is CRAZY jaysus I am wrecked after each exam. The time-table should be split up more,no more than one paper per day. Its just too tiring...IMO the departmeant are just saving money on suprivisors,attendants and renting exam halls e.t.c.

Also there should be more practicals EG :

- Practicals for the physics experiments ( I dont do Chemistry or Biology so I cant comment on these)

- Writing just a report and a couple of rough tables/diagrams for the Geography Fieldwork is a Joke.

And why o why is there no I.T subject on the leaving cert (don't mind that optional section on the maths course a waste of time IMO). I also feel there should be more practical subjects like Woodwork,Tech Drawing, Home Ec e.t.c

And finally the points system I can see no other fair way of doing this. Ideally entrance to colleges/Universities/Courses e.t.c should be done by some sort of project or interview where you show that you have an interest in that course. But obyiously this wouldnt work in all cases.

Sorry for the long post lads and lassies. :ninja:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I agree the only way 2 papers a day is slightly justifiable is if its the same subject, i.e english paper 1 agus 2 on the same day. I reckon there should be a break every second or third day to relieve some stress. As unfortunately for me all my exams run consecutively which is real whore, as i have to revise two subjects the night before if i have two separate subjects the following day. The only break i have is this weekend, but i'm to exhausted at the moment to actually study.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Same here Caesar.....two exams on monday, then another two on tuesday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

yes that is dyer...they at least should have one popular and one not-so-popular paper on if they have to be together, eg. italien and physix not business and biology

interviews like they have in en-grrrrr-land would be gud also, i know people who cant do medicine because of the points but would be brilliant docs and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

One of my friends does maths, geography, french, history, business, and biology so quit your complaining and thank god you're not him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Ouch thats painful.

At least he/she will have plenty of time to strengthen the drinking arm before everyone else is finished :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'd just take away its importance, anywhere ese in europe, its so much better, no pressure to go to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Yep I agree with Ferdi the media hype the thing up and make it seem like the end of the world which just mounts the stress and pressure up for some people.

Advertisement