Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project X

• 04-03-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I searched but didn't find a thread for this movie, so sorry if its a double post.

Supposedly based on THIS GUY, an aussie teen who threw a party that got out of hand and ended up involving police choppers, dogs and destroying a chunk of his neighbourhood.

I thought it was going to be a throwaway movie, and essentially it is, but it was an enjoyable one. Quite funny, and plausible. Not like the teen parties you see on random tv shows that are all accepted as the norm this gets out of hand and they just cant reel it back in. The "lead" is sympathetic and you want him to have a great party and get away with it, MJF style.

Fun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Some laugh! Great sound track and sweet chicks! Well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Sorry curiosity here, but what does MJF mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

micheal J fox?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sounds awesome.
    Empire wrote:
    It’s certainly the worst comedy of the last 20 years, and is an utterly horrifying vision of Teen America. If these guys are the future, we’re all ****ed.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=137540

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Kiith wrote: »

Sorry, but I wouldn't read an empire review if my life depended on it.

Looks like Weekend at Bernies for the ocd\aspergers generation. Trailer doesn't really enthuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah it was kind of fun. It'll never win any awards, but there were a few laughs.
    Most of the funniest bits were shown in the two trailers, so if you want to save money, just watch those. :)

Sounds awesome.
    Empire wrote:
    It’s certainly the worst comedy of the last 20 years, and is an utterly horrifying vision of Teen America. If these guys are the future, we’re all ****ed.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=137540

Guess the studio didn't send Empire a free mug to publicise the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Ah yes. Empire 'Lets give Superman Returns 5 stars' magazine. Stopped taking heed after that.

I thought it was a lot of (stupid) fun. Enjoyable to watch. Having said that, I wouldn't be watching it again any time soon. A good few funny bits in it. Well paced and all round neat package.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

In fairness to Empire different reviewers there have different takes. Its only ever one person's opinion

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/project_x_2011/

Rotten tomatoes has it 29% fresh, with 70% of the audience liking it.

So basically its not going to be for everyone but if you liked the trailer and know you're going into a comedy like this, you're probably going to like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Sorry curiosity here, but what does MJF mean?

He just got the initials for O J Simpson wrong that's all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

p to the e wrote: »
    He just got the initials for O J Simpson wrong that's all

No (s)he didnt. It was previously posted, Michael J Fox, ye olde Family Ties ep of a similar slant to the movie.

No awards are going to be handed out for this movie, its not really a reflection on the youth of america (more like youth of aus if the real news clip is anything to go by). Go see it in cineworld on a tuesday when the ticket prices are only half price :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Looks really obnoxious and unlikable to me.

It's like "found footage" is an excuse for lazy filmmaking nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Mr E wrote: »
    Most of the funniest bits were shown in the two trailers, so if you want to save money, just watch those. :)

Great Scott, it must be awful! :eek:
    Guess the studio didn't send Empire a free mug to publicise the film.

Yeah, they usually throw stars and 'found footage' movies.
    e_e wrote: »
    Looks really obnoxious and unlikable to me.

It's like "found footage" is an excuse for lazy filmmaking nowadays.

While I haven't seen Project X (and don't plan to based on what I've seen so far) it looks like a sub par American Pie / Superbad clone with really bad production value.
    I watched Chronicle recently and really felt the film would have been so much better had they ditched the 'found footage' angle which took far more away from the film than it added.
    Incidentally the likes of the Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield have not aged well at all ('horrendously' is a word I'd be inclined to use). I think 'found footage' has had it's day for now and needs to be left alone until a project (no pun intended) comes along that will actually suit the style. It is increasingly becoming a tired bandwagon that everyone wants to jump on.
    Bring back films that look nice I say!

Galvasean wrote: »
    Yeah, they usually throw stars and 'found footage' movies.

Empire would give Meet the Spartans 4 stars if the studio flew them to set or at the very least gave them some t-shirts. It's not so much a legitimate film magazine as a drunken college student. If you blow us, well lavish attention upon you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It's not so much a legitimate film magazine as a drunken college student. If you blow us, well lavish attention upon you.

That doesn't stop at drunken college students in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Galvasean wrote: »
    While I haven't seen Project X (and don't plan to based on what I've seen so far) it looks like a sub par American Pie / Superbad clone with really bad production value.
    I watched Chronicle recently and really felt the film would have been so much better had they ditched the 'found footage' angle which took far more away from the film than it added.
    Incidentally the likes of the Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield have not aged well at all ('horrendously' is a word I'd be inclined to use). I think 'found footage' has had it's day for now and needs to be left alone until a project (no pun intended) comes along that will actually suit the style. It is increasingly becoming a tired bandwagon that everyone wants to jump on.
    Bring back films that look nice I say!

I wouldn't say its quite sub par to American Pie or Superbad. I mean its a totally different movie. I'm not saying its better, though I'm not a fan of either of those movies. The found footage angle here is handled well, its non intrusive and only one shot made me think "hang on, how is *this* being filmed." Like I said previously, its a throw away movie. Thank god for cheap ticket tuesdays and the unlimited card. :D

I think Cloverfield holds up and has aged well having watched it only recently but on the other hand... its only 4 years old! It hasnt exactly had time to "age" as it were. I didn't like Blair Witch when it first came out so I cant say whether its aged well or not.

The only real thing I dislike about this movie is that prolongs the life in the limelight for the gob****e in Aus upon whom this is based.

Empire would give Meet the Spartans 4 stars if the studio flew them to set or at the very least gave them some t-shirts. It's not so much a legitimate film magazine as a drunken college student. If you blow us, well lavish attention upon you.
    I'm by no means a fan of Empire magazine. But the review was argued passionately and entertainingly, at least in that case they didn't just buy into the hype to get more readers.

I'm by no means a fan of Empire magazine. But the review was argued passionately and entertainingly, at least in that case they didn't just buy into the hype to get more readers.

Hard to take any review by the man who gave Attack of the Clones 5 stars serious.

Really? According to the site Colin Kennedy reviewed Attack of the Clones, and it had a 3 star rating. Which is still too high to me heh.

Anyway it was nice to see a review which held high standards and wasn't holding back its vitriolic hatred. Regardless of what else the critic likes.

I don't see why anyone should lower their own standards for a film like this. Have nothing against teen comedies, but this looks more like a cynical marketing exercise than anything else. Kind of a fail too that the primary audience won't even get to see it, given the 18 rating. I'm sure it'll attract some creepy middle aged men looking for teenage boobs though (in fact it seems to me like it was made by these kind of people).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Really? According to the site Colin Kennedy reviewed Attack of the Clones, and it had a 3 star rating. Which is still too high to me heh.

There was indeed a five star AotC review printed. I have the original issue somewhere. Ah, the days when I thought Empire was a reputable publication!

But yes, I have absolutely no interest in the movies of Todd Phillips and co. either. There are so many great films out there - and great comedies - that I just can't justify spending time watching their crass nonsense anymore. I can only justify the two minutes it takes to write angry messages about them on internet discussion forums.

Empire have a habit of going back and re-reviewing films, especially ones they heap praise upon but the general public look at with distaste.

Anyway it was nice to see a review which held high standards and wasn't holding back its vitriolic hatred. Regardless of what else the critic likes.

I don't see why anyone should lower their own standards for a film like this. Have nothing against teen comedies, but this looks more like a cynical marketing exercise than anything else. Kind of a fail too that the primary audience won't even get to see it, given the 18 rating. I'm sure it'll attract some creepy middle aged men looking for teenage boobs though (in fact it seems to me like it was made by these kind of people).

I have absolute no interest in the film, it looks like juvenile, poorly written trash without a hint of wit or originality but I recognize that I am not the intended audience and as such the film is never going to appeal to me. It's a film made for 15 year old boys whose idea of a good time is drinking in a friends house and drunkenly playing doctor. The description of the characters as "spectacularly unlikeable, the kind of unrepentant, nihilistic, vile, venal, animalistic, avaricious, charmless, entitled, sub-Kardashian, stunningly irresponsible brats" seems spot on considering who the film is being marketed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Went to see this over the weekend without knowing what it was about.

Thought it was awful, jokes were not funny in it. None of it really made any sense [Like why did so many people actually go his party in the first place when they were presented as uncool nerds at the start? And nothing about that changed to get people to go to the party...] Everything about it was too extreme and unbelievable. It could have actually been good, as the initial idea was decent.

This film does not deserve to be mentioned alongside American pie & Superbad. Both of them are in a different class to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

went into it knowing very little about it other than "it's supposed to be bad" and I really enjoyed it. It was really well put together, narrative-wise I thought. Loved the two security guard kids. As i've hosted more than my share of House parties while my parents were away, I know all too well that the person who has the least fun at a house party is the host and I really saw that with Thomas. Once I got homse I watched the trailer and I have to say, it does not convey the tone of the movie at all. This was closer to superbad - it was about the three nerdy kids- than say, Step Up or something. That's the vibe I got off the trailer - it was designed to pull in a more "preppy", for lack of a better word, crowd. The one part I didn't like was everyone dropping those yokes like crazy and not even knowing what they were. Not safe, kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Is this a documentary. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Any film desperate enough to be putting 'audience reactions' from previews into the trailer must be BAD.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I liked it for its over the top stupidity and the what is the worst that can happen from an almost realistic view approach. Throw it all in to one and you have an over the top start to finish teen party movie.
    It does what it needs to do.

Booze, jokes, drugs, vomit, music, hot girls...

Its aimed at the teen and early 20s market.
    The party age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Saw this yesterday afternoon. Wasn't bad but not great either. The whole thing is supposed to be filmed like a home movie but at the end
    who is filming the son and the dad when the car is being lifted out of the pool?

Some bits were quite funny but it got ridiculous when
    the drug dealer showed up brandishing a flamethrower.
    I know it's supposed to be over the top but come on.

Decent soundtrack and very much leave your brain at the door type stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I agree with the guy above me.

That said, I saw this yesterday and had a great time. It's exactly what you expect; drink, drugs, music, women(girls) and all 'round good time. I enjoyed it and it was just as dramatic and over the top as I expected!

Advertisement