Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

set up ftp server with Estong File manager

• 29-05-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

Anyone using Estong here care to help me out, im having problems setting up the ftp server over my LAN. ive been to their forums and FAQ's etc but i cant really find any info on a step by step set up guide.:(

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭thegom145

Sure, where are you having trouble, is it using the program itself or setting up an ftp server on one of the machines on your LAN?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

sorry for getting back so late, i was up north for the wknd.

im having trouble using the program AND setting up an ftp server on my LAN, honestly, ive no idea what to do.

Ok, lets talk about the LAN side first - what OS are you using, do you have a preference for what program you want to use? I use Filezilla server for windows/OSX and vsftp for linux. Filezilla is fairly straightforward to set up.

Running XP 32bit on the machine i want to ftp.

just downloaded FileZilla server...

thanks for walking me through this!

Ok, you should be able to just install filezilla server, then open up "filezilla server interface". Once thats open, go to the Edit->Users->General. Create a new user/password combination, whatever you want. Dont worry about creating groups or anything like that. Then go to the "Shared Folders" and select what directories you want to share.

Thats all you need to set up the server part of it.

• Advertisement

thegom145 wrote: »
    Ok, you should be able to just install filezilla server, then open up "filezilla server interface". Once thats open, go to the Edit->Users->General. Create a new user/password combination, whatever you want. Dont worry about creating groups or anything like that. Then go to the "Shared Folders" and select what directories you want to share.

Thats all you need to set up the server part of it.
    Done and done.

Edit: just to be sure, the server IP is 127.0.0.1? so thats my own machine.

127.0.0.1 is a special address that lets your box access itself, don't enter this on the client. You can find your local ip by going to Start->Run and entering "cmd", then enter "ipconfig" and make a note of what it says at the IP Address field.

You should be able to connect from estrong now, go to ftp, hit menu->new and enter in the ip address, user and password. leave the port alone, it defaults to 21 for ftp anyway.

Oh, have Filezilla actually running on your computer when your doing this - I'm not sure if it runs as a background process, and it will give you some output on successful and failed connections as well as file transfers in progress etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Am I missing something here; if you're on the same network can't you just use the IP of the PC to connect to and have shared folders?

Absolutely you can - the OP was asking specifically about ftp though, so I didn't consider that :P

If theres a shared drive on your network you can go to ES, LAN, hit menu-> scan and any shared folders/drives should show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Read the description of this in market and got confused.

This is a file managing system, that lets you manage ( and all it entails) folders and files through ftp ?

So in theory if I'm in the back garden, through wifi, I can say, copy a music folder over to my Desire? Or is it merely access to the pc files with no manipulation capabilities?

• Advertisement

127.0.0.1 is a special address that lets your box access itself, don't enter this on the client. You can find your local ip by going to Start->Run and entering "cmd", then enter "ipconfig" and make a note of what it says at the IP Address field.

You should be able to connect from estrong now, go to ftp, hit menu->new and enter in the ip address, user and password. leave the port alone, it defaults to 21 for ftp anyway.

Oh, have Filezilla actually running on your computer when your doing this - I'm not sure if it runs as a background process, and it will give you some output on successful and failed connections as well as file transfers in progress etc
    ok, i changed the 127.0.0.1 to my PC's local IP address, which is 192.168.1.2, but now it says
    Reconnecting to server...
    Error, could not connect to server
    Trying to reconnect in 5 seconds

repeatedly..

TheDoc wrote: »

This is a file managing system, that lets you manage ( and all it entails) folders and files through ftp ?

So in theory if I'm in the back garden, through wifi, I can say, copy a music folder over to my Desire? Or is it merely access to the pc files with no manipulation capabilities?

Depends how you have your ftp server set up, short answer is yes. You can use many methods to manage/transfer your files though, including shared folders, scp, ftp. There are several different programs to do this on the market.

@Tea_Bag dumb question: both your Desire and the box running Filezilla server are on your wireless network yeah? Have you tried setting up filezilla client on another computer and making sure you can access your server from that too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

A bit off topic and you can ignore this post if you want. I don't want to confuse the issue.

EStrongs can connect to Windows shares. You don't need an FTP server. If you can set up a share on your Windows machine you can create a shortcut to it in Estrongs. There's no need for any extra software on the PC. You just need to be on the same wireless network.

But you may have a good reason for FTP (if you want to access your PC from the internet for example).

@Tea_Bag dumb question: both your Desire and the box running Filezilla server are on your wireless network yeah?
    yeah
    Have you tried setting up filezilla client on another computer and making sure you can access your server from that too?

dont have access to another PC atm so cant try..

im sure the problem is lying with the router or server IP, which wont connect under the PC's IP address..

Hmmm, maybe theres an app on the android market that would let you try to ping your server?

A bit off topic and you can ignore this post if you want. I don't want to confuse the issue.

EStrongs can connect to Windows shares. You don't need an FTP server. If you can set up a share on your Windows machine you can create a shortcut to it in Estrongs. There's no need for any extra software on the PC. You just need to be on the same wireless network.

But you may have a good reason for FTP (if you want to access your PC from the internet for example).

That's what I was thinking; you don't need an FTP server, or any other software.

TheDoc wrote: »

You can do all kinds of file management on your PC from your Desire, yes, but FTP isn't needed.

Advertisement