Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shard removal

• 21-01-2015 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

After examing the tire and removing all the little shards of glass that stuck in it over the last few weeks I am now left with a tire with a fair few cracks and one quite serious looking cut. Has anyone used any sealant they can recommend or is there a good reason people don't do this? Google threw up nothing for me.

The tires aren't that old so I don't want to throw them out unless I have to. Running on GP4000 23's usually pumped to 110psi but I may have let this slip a bit lately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Depending how serious the cut is. Pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Depending how serious the cut is. Pictures?

Only about 7mm in length but peels up quite easily. In saying that I took the shard out of that one a few weeks ago and nothing has found its way back in. But the thoughts of super gluing it crossed my mind at fhe time.
    Sorry if the image is massive. Uploaded it from my phone, will try edit it if it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I just use super glue. For a large'ish "hole" I might use a small piece of rubber from a tube or more recently, from those rubber bits you get with light to protect your handle bars etc. Along with the super glue.

For the hole in your pic, just super glue.

I am running on Conti 4 Seasons and I do the whole shard removal thing every week if I can.

It never ceases to amaze me how many punctures I have avoided, even if the odd shard does get through. Probably 10+ a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Superglue cracks as it gets harder/brittle. I ran a commuter on 26's with a larger sized shard-piercing for a fair few Km's, and had used some rubberized (vulicanized?) glue in them. I don't know how much good it did though.

Article here which you may have found already:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-glue-for-fixing-road-tyre-cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Thanks all. I will try some of that loctite 480 in the link for the bigger crack and just ignore the rest for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

brianomc wrote: »
    Thanks all. I will try some of that loctite 480 in the link for the bigger crack and just ignore the rest for now.

E6000 Craft Adhesive was recommended to me before. Works well. Available from EBay, Amazon, etc.

For the reasons mentioned above, *don't* use Superglue

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

I usually use a bit of the glue from a puncture repair kit. It doesn't harden and crack like superglue.
    Its not perfect either but it seem to work

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I use black witch neoprene glue. Haven't had any issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Grassey wrote: »
    I use black witch neoprene glue. Haven't had any issues so far.

Was also going to suggest black witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tangentially - I assume when filling these holes with glue, you do it with the tyre fully inflated? I can't imagine any glue holding after pumping a tyre up to 120psi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Had a cut a little worse than that last autumn , I put a patch on the inside and have used it a lot on the turbo and as a winter tyre . No issues since .

Wonder would this be good on minor cuts
    http://sugru.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

seamus wrote: »
    Tangentially - I assume when filling these holes with glue, you do it with the tyre fully inflated? I can't imagine any glue holding after pumping a tyre up to 120psi?

I don't think so. With the tyre inflated, the cut often opens while the casing prevents it splitting further. If you glue it at that point it will stay open and the glue won't take. OTOH, if you glue the cut with the tyre deflated and allow it to cure properly, the cut should hold together when inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

I've been using Tec7 for a few years with good results.

Advertisement