Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Health Insurance - Best Option

• 08-10-2010 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi - Hoping someone can best advise me.

I'm looking for a health insurance plan which would cover me for hospital expenses should the event arise and I guess day to day medical expenses (whatever this means, I guess Dr. / Prescriptions)

I'm fairly healthy now (touch wood) but 3 and a half years ago I did have a sudden condition that required hospital attention.

I've been looking at Aviva and it says with regards this, I have to wait 5 years before that would be covered, should it arise again (hopefully not)

My main question is, is this 5 years from when the policy is taken out or 5 years from when it happened, meaning I'd wait another year and a half?

Also, is Health Insurance worth it, from your own experiences?

Who would you recommend as the best provider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The 5 year pre existing waiting period starts from the day you join, but this usually only applies to hospital stays or surgery. If you just have check ups or out-patient visits related to the pre existing condition then you should be able to claim these costs back on the day to day element of your plan.

With regards to providers and plans, there are well over 200 variations out there. I'd suggest having a look at the Health Insurance Authority's website first, www.hia.ie. The HIA is an agency set up by the Government to monitor the health insurance market in Ireland and to protect customers' interests. They have guides on choosing health insurance products as well as an online comparison tool to help you compare plans.

I'll also direct you to a previous post of mine on a similar thread that may help you narrow down your choices.

Advertisement