Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not particularly, they can have problems with ignition - misfires etc

Overall they're pretty bulletproof though.

They're pretty outdated though. They're a reskin of the early 90s model.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Anyone had any dealings with the North Road motor company in Finglas? Are they reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 forevertwisted

Looking to to buy a 2004 Golf, 1.9TDI, Diesel, 115000 Miles. Dealer has the car marked at £4350(sterling), but automatically dropped it to £3850 when I enquired. Drives great, full service history and it on the surface looks to be in great condition. Although have heard from two different people experiences with this particular dealer selling cars that had been written off. So, will a vehicle check tell me if its been damaged in any way? Also, I was thinking of asking to take the car to my mechanic to get him to give it the once over too? Is this common enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Provided your mechanic is in the sterling area, shouldn't be a problem.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gadget Man

Very useful, well done Limerick Man. Anyone know how to check if there is finance on a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

I'm looking to buy a car (Volvo S40), but the one I'm considering had 6 owners so far. it's a 2005 car, so it's bit worrying. on paper it all looks good: timing belt done at 65k miles (now 105k miles on clock), no accidents, full specs, no DPF filter, so no worries with that, all electronics work fine, car bought in Ireland, so I'd say it was a company representative car - could that be a reason for so many previous owners? there's no service book with the car - should that be another warning sign?

is there anything particular I should be looking at when checking Volvo S40?

the car comes with 3 months of warranty (for engine and electronics) from dealer, so in theory if there's something wrong with it I should be able to find out pretty soon (I drive around 3k miles per month).

any advices on that?

link to the car: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4156587

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Bit dear imo personally I wouldnt pay that for one maybe thats the market price but not for me know somebody who had one think the turbo went not known as the most reliable of cars from what Ive heard but not had one personally so how true that is I dont know get a mechanic to look at it before ya buy it anyways dont take the dealers word for it.

^ The above post; rendered a bit more legible for jontr:

A bit dear, in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't pay that for one. Maybe thats the market price, but not for me. I know somebody who had one - I think the turbo went. They are not known as the most reliable of cars, from what I've heard, but I have not had one personally. So, how true that is I don't know. Get a mechanic to look at it before you buy it anyway. Don't take the dealer's word for it.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Hi Folks. First post in motors.

I am looking at buying a 05 Golf 1.9 Diesel. Is 100K miles a lot on a Golf. The price is around my budget. Car looks good.

Esel wrote: »
    ^ The above post; rendered a bit more legible for jontr:

A bit dear, in my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't pay that for one. Maybe thats the market price, but not for me. I know somebody who had one - I think the turbo went. They are not known as the most reliable of cars, from what I've heard, but I have not had one personally. So, how true that is I don't know. Get a mechanic to look at it before you buy it anyway. Don't take the dealer's word for it.

2zrgakg.jpg

• Advertisement

^ Not grammar, mate - it is called punctuation.

Not your ornery onager

What a sad individual you really are say it made your night doing that out:o now jog on an stay on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

Did you buy it? Says sold now! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Hi,

I'm looking at getting either an 07 VW Passat or 07 VW Jetta 1.6 Petrol in the new year. Don't do hugh mileage by any means so petrol will do me fine.

Anything I should be looking out for or are they pretty reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭galway1985

So, considering I can't get an engine for my Astra [although I'm holding on in extreme hope over the next 2/3 weeks], I might have to actually buy a new car. I don't know whether I should spend the 3k to put a new engine in, if worst comes to worst? Alternatively, what sort of car could I buy? My current one is a 2005 1.4 petrol. I travel about 12,000 miles per year. I live a short distance from work. I like hatchback cars, and wouldn't drive a really small car like a Ka or Fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

nope, didn't buy it. we've decided, that selling a car with 7 owners will be mission impossible, so we passed.

now looking for a avensis or A4. will be viewing two cars today with a mechanic, so we'll see..

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Could anyone recommend a mechanic around to come view a car with me in Leixlip? Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

Thinking of bringing an Audi A5 across the border. Budget circa 23K all in.

Is it worth the effort, perceived savings if any?

Thank,

V

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Looking for a second hand car

Price 5000 or lower, 5 Door, Low Mileage

Any reccomendations? Honda Jazz looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Can't go wrong with a Honda Jazz really. Just try and get as much bang for your buck.

Also, look for a Service History, this is more important that Low mileage.

If you buy a 7 year old car with, lets say, 20,000 miles on it, chances are it's been arsed around town it's whole life, probably in car parks and had a few dints and bangs.

Get the same 7 year old car with 70-80k miles on it with a service history you know it's been driven, and serviced accordingly.

Most low mileage cars are serviced with mileage intervals instead of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Can't go wrong with a Honda Jazz really. Just try and get as much bang for your buck.

Also, look for a Service History, this is more important that Low mileage.

If you buy a 7 year old car with, lets say, 20,000 miles on it, chances are it's been arsed around town it's whole life, probably in car parks and had a few dints and bangs.

Get the same 7 year old car with 70-80k miles on it with a service history you know it's been driven, and serviced accordingly.

Most low mileage cars are serviced with mileage intervals instead of time.

Thanks, Jazz was ideally what we would go for they are thin on the gorund though, think itll be alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Hey guys, the mother lokking for a small car, 3 door, low tax etc. found this one VW FOX. Did a revenue check and was registered new owner 20/10/12 and on motorcheck says UK import. Auto walk away?.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭oregano

Joshua J wrote: »
    Hey guys, the mother lokking for a small car, 3 door, low tax etc. found this one VW FOX. Did a revenue check and was registered new owner 20/10/12 and on motorcheck says UK import. Auto walk away?.

Tons of ex uk cars out there so that's no issue. The ad is up since October, did the vendor buy it to sell? He says trade in his ad, but surely even a muppet trader would whip out the l plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wonder was the previous owner the BBC

0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

oregano wrote: »
    Tons of ex uk cars out there so that's no issue. The ad is up since October, did the vendor buy it to sell? He says trade in his ad, but surely even a muppet trader would whip out the l plates!

Yeah was thinking maybe a backyard dealer but would expect a better ad and as you say, the L plates outta the window. Anyway am based in Donegal so bit of a travel for a possible lemon (no pun intended lol). The old adige of seems to good to be true etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What do people think of this?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/316-316I/201234209709206/advert?channel=CARS

Seems in pristine condition, practically new.

Advert last updated 95days ago. I'm very surprised this car didn't move.

What does everyone think? Am I listening to Jim Corr too much, or would anyone else think this offer may not be true, or there is something up....

Then again, it's carzone, they are usually good to move on adverts that are bull.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

In the market for a car with a budget of about 5k, possibly stretch to 6k. Want something reasonably fun to drive and with enough room for a wife and kids :pac: Just had to give back my Audi A4 (availing of the half-way rule) so kinda want to keep to a car of decent quality if possible, prob asking a lot though with my budget. Anyway, been considering the RX8 as I like the look of them and seem to sell cheap enough - has anyone here got any experience of them? I read Mazda had to do a recall of cars around 2004-2006 due to some engine issues so I need to consider that while shopping about, especially considering thats the year range my budget falls into.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm thinking of upgrading my 06 Almeira (63K on the clock). I'm looking at the Qashqai or focus. The Qashqai is 09 1.6 Diesel for around €16995 and the focus is a 2011 1.6 Diesel for €14975.

I've spoken to both dealers and obviously both are giving it the hard sell.

Price is an important factor for me, it'll be finance and minus my Almeira trade in. The Qashqai has 60K on the clock and the Focus has €30K.

The above figures seem to have me leaning towards the focus, but I do like the Qashqai. Any idea why there is such a difference in price considering the Focus is newer but less expensive? Does the Qashqai hold it's value better?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

17k for an 09 quas is dear..........you should buy that elsewhere for 15k, and 14k in the early new year.

re; the focus.....well, its cheaper for a reason, them 1.6tdci engines are rubbish, they're not even a ford unit....i'd avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

MidlandsM wrote: »
    17k for an 09 quas is dear..........you should buy that elsewhere for 15k, and 14k in the early new year.

re; the focus.....well, its cheaper for a reason, them 1.6tdci engines are rubbish, they're not even a ford unit....i'd avoid.

Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement