Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 92 - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

• 23-12-2008 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Well I cant wait for this. So I'l get the ball rolling heres my predictions anyway.
    Forrest vs Evans - I see Evans taking this either by decision or stoppage. Im not counting Forrest out, im a big fan of his but I think Evans will shade it. It will be close fight though.
    Nog vs Mir - I dont give Mir much hope in this one at all. Nog is just better everywhere you look. Mir to gas in the second and Nog to pick him apart in the standup and look to bring the fight into the fourth and fifth rounds and get a sub or just take the UD.
    Silva vs Rampage - Heart says Wandy head says Rampage. Silva to come out swinging and Rampage maybe looking for takedowns to try and GnP. Although Silva is black belt he has never looked that good off his back.
    Dollaway vs Massenzino - Dollaway by sub, a Peruvian necktie maybe?
    Congo vs Al Turk - Congo stoppage late round one or early round two.
    Okami vs Lister - Thought this one should of been on the televised card but I think the possibility of this been a little boring to the more casual fans prevented that. Going with Okami UD.
    Hammill vs Andy - Il go Hammill by stoppage.
    Chonan vs Blackburn - Il go Chonan by sub.
    Hardonk vs Wessels - Hardonk by KO.
    Evensen vs Barry - Dont know much about either accept seeing Evensen look extremely poor against Congo, so il put my neck out and go for Barry.

What about the rest of yous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Wand to knee Ranpage into a bloody pulp once more. It'll be so violent Mike Goldberg will self combust with excitement.
    Griffin over Evans cause.... Well i just can't stand him really.

I'll agree with the rest of your picks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I am going for:
    Forrest - He will take him the distance and win by decision
    Mir - Mir wants the title really badly but I would prefer to see Nog against Lesnar
    Rampage - Only the fact Rampage is one of my favourite fighters , is the reason but a SD
    CB - Easy one for him should dominate Massenzio
    Kongo - Should be a short night for him probably stop him in the first
    Lister - going to be a horrible fight but will have an advantage on the ground and take the decision
    Hamill - He is better than Andy and should stop him late in the round
    Blackburn - by TKO
    Hardonk - by KO
    Barry - by decision

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

There's one safe prediction - Frank Mir is not winning

Forrest/Rashad is the kind of fight that could end up a boring five rounder or a really fun fight. I'd like to see Forrest win but if Rashad is able to get the takedowns then I think he could take it

Wanderlei/Rampage has so many unknowns about it. We don't know how Rampage will be after his breakdown and changing of trainers. We don't know how Wanderlei will be affected against Rampage when he won't be able to do some of the stuff he did in their previous fights. He hasn't looked the same fighter in any of his US fights as he did in Japan though. I'm picking Rampage

Can't say that much else interests me right now, though I'm sure there'll be some good fights. Apparently if Lister loses then it's likely that he'll be cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Pat Barry is a very good kick-boxer. I'm not sure how his wrestling or ground-game is, but he hasn't been training long. If Evenson can put him on his back he can win, otherwise - Pat is going to systematically destroy him.

All your predictions look fine, but Wandy is going to beat Page.. Yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Griffin vs Evans As much as I want Griffin to win, I can see Evans take it. With his wrestling, he can take the fight where he wants it, and his stand-up is better. Evans by KO in the third.

Mir vs Nog I'm deffinately going against the trend here, but I can see Mir taking this.
    Nog is better on the ground, but Mir is good enough to not get tapped. Mir has more power on his feet, and while Mir hasn't got great wrestling Nog has none! Mir by G n' P stopage in the fourth

Silva vs Rampage III Should be over fairly quickly. Can't see it going past the second. Personally I'd say Silva with a haymaker in the latter half of the first round. Silva KO in the first.

Dollaway vs Massenzino Dalloway's wrestling should get him this one. Take him down, tap with him out. If Dalloway doesn't get this though, it'll be a serious step back. Big fight for him. CB by sub in the first.

Congo vs Al Turk As much as I like Congo, I'm worried about this. We've all seen what happens when he fights a good wrestler. He ends up on his back for 15 mins! He's had a few months off now however, so hopefully he's learnt some wrestling. He was improved against Herring. My heart says Cheik, but I'm not too sure. 50/50

Okami vs Lister Should be a fairly "dull" fight for the average fan. looking forward to it though. Okami will be too strong IMO. Okami on points after 3

Hammill vs Andy Hopefully the "Hammer" can show us something new. He looked so bad against Rich. Get the feeling it could be the same old Hammill though. Hammil stopage by G n' P in the third.

Chonan vs Blackburn Another close enough fight, but I can see Chonan edging it. Sub in the second

Hardonk vs Wessels If Hardonks legs can keep from falling off, I think he'll have more than enough.
    Should be an explosive fight too. Hardonk KO in the first.

Evensen vs Barry Don't really know too much about either to give a real guess, but Barry has good hands and feet. My money's on him. Barry KO in the second

• Advertisement

Official Weigh-in results.

Main Event - UFC Light Heavyweight Championship
    Rashad Evans (203) VS Forrest Griffin (205)

Interim UFC Heavyweight Championship
    Frank Mir (251) VS Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (246)

Wanderlei Silva (203) VS Quinton Jackson (206)
    Mostapha Al Turk (237) VS Cheick Kongo (233)
    Mike Massenzio (184) VS CB Dollaway (186)

Dean Lister (186) VS Yushin Okami (185)
    Mike Wessel (260) VS Antoni Hardonk (246)
    Reese Andy (206) VS Matt Hamill (205)
    Brad Blackburn (170) VS Ryo Chonan (171)
    Patrick Barry (233) VS Dan Evensen (242)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

10si45x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

My heart says Forrest but my head says rashad. Think he can knock him out just like he did chuck.

I think Nog will have too much for mir. Sub in round 2.

Silva will knock Rampage out.

smoochie06 wrote: »
    My heart says Forrest but my head says rashad. Think he can knock him out just like he did chuck.

I think Nog will have too much for mir. Sub in round 2.

Silva will knock Rampage out.

Bones will break, or either will black out before being subbed.
    My jaw would literally hit the floor if either of Mir or Nog tapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

while Mir hasn't got great wrestling Nog has none!

LMAO @ Nog having no wrestling.

• Advertisement

• I'm going for:

Rashad Evans VS Forrest Griffin - I want Forrest to win, and he can. He needs to tire Rashad out though. He'll win by wearing him down (he's a lot bigger) while Rashad is likely to win by a lay and pray 5 rounder (which i dont think he'll do) or a KO.

Frank Mir VS Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - Nog by cardio and possibly GNP/sub. remember how badly Pe de Pano tooled Mir in the jits. I know that was the fat/post accident Mir but it was also the only evidence of Mir vs a top level BJJ guy.

Wanderlei Silva VS Quinton Jackson - Wand. He's bald too which is never good for his opponent! :P I like both guys so just hope it's a good fight.

Mostapha Al Turk VS Cheick Kongo - kongo by KO.

Mike Massenzio VS CB Dollaway - Dollaway if he's in shape.

Dean Lister VS Yushin Okami - I think style wise Lister may spring an upset here. He needs to capitalise on Okamis tendency to give the first round away too.

Mike Wessel VS Antoni Hardonk - Wessel is HUGE but I think Hardonk by leggage!

Reese Andy VS Matt Hamill - will probably end up on the feet as both are good wrestlers. i think Hamill is the better striker so I'm going with Hammill by UD.

Brad Blackburn VS Ryo Chonan - Chonan to pick up an easy win for him

Patrick Barry VS Dan Evensen - Enevson for me as I cant recall seeing Barry fight.

Frank Mir VS Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - Nog by cardio and possibly GNP/sub. remember how badly Pe de Pano tooled Mir in the jits. I know that was the fat/post accident Mir but it was also the only evidence of Mir vs a top level BJJ guy.

Really looking forward to this one

Wanderlei Silva VS Quinton Jackson - Wand. He's bald too which is never good for his opponent! :P I like both guys so just hope it's a good fight.

LOL +100000000000000000000000000

Clive wrote: »
    LMAO @ Nog having no wrestling.

He doesn't.

For a world champion, his wrestling is nonexistant.
    He's the master of pulling guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

He doesn't.

He has judo though.

He has judo though.

He has good Judo, but not great judo.
    He's also really only used it effectively against smaller fighters.
    I think that it won't be a factor.

Just saying I think that Mir will have more control over the positioning.

He doesn't.

Nog's wrestling isn't great, but he has good leg trips. He trained wrestling with Darryl Gholar for a long time.

He has good Judo, but not great judo.
    He's also really only used it effectively against smaller fighters.
    I think that it won't be a factor.

Just saying I think that Mir will have more control over the positioning.

Mir won't control much.. His wrestling isn't good either. Even if he controls positioning, he won't do much from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Agreed dlofnep!
    but i see a nog ko win..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 lfc85

the only fight im really lookin forward to is wand v rampage
    and i can see rampage eatin more knees to the puss with another hl reel for wands collection
    ko 2nd round to the 'CACHORRO LOUCHO'

cowzerp wrote: »
    Agreed dlofnep!
    but i see a nog ko win..

Nog has 3 ko's in his 37 fights!
    I really can't see that in a million years.
    He also only has 9 decisions.
    His 19 subs are what make his record so great.
    I can't see him subbing Mir, and I really, really, can't see him KO'ing him!
    that means that he'll have to look good enough, for 25 mins, to get a decision.
    I just can't see that, as even when he wins, he often looks unconvincing (to a judges eye) untill he makes em' tap.

As I said, Mir in the fourth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I just can't see that, as even when he wins, he often looks unconvincing (to a judges eye) untill he makes em' tap.

If it becomes a war of attrition, I don't see how you can go with Mir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I agree Big Nog wont get the KO but if Mir is to win it will happen early. If Mir can even hold himself up in the fourth round i will be shocked never mind trying to control Nog aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Nogueira weighed in at what I think is his heaviest weight ever. It doesn't matter though because he's facing Mir :pac: Nogueira will outlast him if it goes to the later rounds. He's made a career of doing that, while Mir is known for the opposite

Nogueira's better on the feet and much better on the ground. The only reason that Frank is in this fight is because he caught a very inexperienced fighter with a submission. If it weren't for that then he'd be way back in the pecking order for a title shot

I'm not usually this black and white about a fight result because I know anything can happen. But this is Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Frank Mir. Nogueira's winning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

He doesn't.

Have you ever actually seen Nog fight? Just because he's willing to pull guard doesn't mean he has no wrestling.

He put Dan Henderson flat on his back, likewise Tim Sylvia (who Monson had great difficulty taking down), likewise Crocop, likewise Kharitonov, likewise Herring and probably a lot of others. Did they all slip on banana peels?

He also has good switches and sitouts - look at his fight against Sapp for plenty of examples.

Who has Mir ever taken down? Wes Sims?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Been watching the Pride 2004 Heavyweight Grand Prix over the past few days and those Anaconda Chokes Nog used were brilliant.

Really hope he gets Mir in something like that tonight.

Ladbrooks are giving 2-1 odds on an Evans win tonight. Very tempted to put a few quid on.

• Nog has 3 ko's in his 37 fights!

I'm confused at how you are coming to these conclusions and supporting them.

I don't see how sub wins over the likes of Crocop and Herring (Nog is the only man to ever sub either of them), Sapp (comparable with Mirs sub of Lesnar IMO) etc is something to turn your nose up at?

Mir has subbed such BJJ wizards as Pete Williams, Tank Abbott, Brock Lesnar and Antoni Hardonk. He has some slick subs but I've yet to be convinced by his BJJ against a really good jits guy. Only top quality jits guy he's fought has been pe de Pano who murdered him on the ground.

Mir is notorious for gassing. He's never looked good past round one in a fight and he's never seen round 4 in his life. Nog is a guy Ive never seen tire. And yet you claim he's gonna get Nog in round 4?

You talk about control but Nog controlled the likes of Werdum, Nastula, Barnett, Kharitonov etc. Who has Mir controlled that shows that he's gonna outwrestle his way to a UD?! He pulls guard just as much as Nog.

For me their records speak for themselves and tell a lot about how this fight SHOULD play out. And all the evidence points to a Nog win. Anything else will be an upset IMO.

2hxun9j.gif

This makes no sense. How 3 ko's, 9 decisions and 19 subs adds up to a Mir win in your head i'll never know. BUT this is MMA so you could be saying "i told you so tomorrow".

Mir will gas in the third if he survives that long (Nog will really tire him out on the ground) and get KTFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Nog may only have 3 KO's but he spars and beats the likes of Machida and Anderson Silva in training. There are some video's of it on youtube. He has the potential to KO anyone when they are near his reach, he struggles against long limbed opponents but Mir is around about the same height. Nog may KO Mir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Can't wait for this to start, have the beers and pizza in, now I just hope the fights are as good as the card looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Honestly can't predict the Griff Evans fight and reckon its going to be a lot tighter than people believe if I absolutely had to predict a winner it would probably be Griff

I can't see Mir beating Nog. I reckon neither will tap early on and both can take a beating and survive (Mir vs Lesnar anyone?) its simply going to be a case of Mir gassing and Nog taking advantage in my opinion.

Silva will destory Jackson for the third time just can't see Jackson getting one over him all things considered.

Advertisement