Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I want to buy a second hand boat - Overwhelmed

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Marine parts in Swords http://marineparts.ie/ would be the handiest for you.
    On Red island I back the trailer onto the grass and just take up one parking space.
    The nearest inland place I use is Athlone, there is a slip across from the Houston bay hotel.
    If you do go to Skerries let me know and if I can I'll drop down " thats a big if" :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Nope.

But if there's a great big ferry/tanker steaming in my general direction, in a game of chicken I'll usually blink first :D:D:D

I think most people take that approach :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Nope.

But if there's a great big ferry/tanker steaming in my general direction, regardless of rights in a game of chicken I'll usually blink first :D:D:D

It would be foolish to push it. Situations - approaching on reciprocal, overtaking and crossing.
    In general,
    Approaching & crossing – port to port and "If to starboard red appear, 'tis your duty to keep clear"
    Overtaking vessel must keep clear
    The ‘give-way’ vessel must take early and sufficient action to keep clear.
    The ‘stand-on’ vessel should maintain course and speed but should take action if necessary to avoid collision.
    Sailing – Port gives way to starboard; Windward gives way to leeward.
    A sailing vessel must give way to a power vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre (that includes vessels in a channel or under tow or fishing.) It also can include vessels steaming in shipping lanes where there is tight separation. Take the bigger vessels draught into consideration even if there appears to be room.

In general on a passage in open waters I always stayed as far as I could from any ship as they inevitably were on autopilot and with poor/no lookout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Stheno wrote: »

I was thinking about slips in North County Dublin today, and think Howth would probably be your best bet, not sure if you need to be a member of HYC to use it though.

there's a public slip beside the lifeboat house.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

there's a public slip beside the lifeboat house.

Thanks, that's the one I was thinking of, didn't know whether or not it was part of HYC or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Stheno wrote: »
    Speed boats and jet skis are prohibited on the estuary

Didn't know that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 asingrang

A friend of mine was up at the house and saw my new speedboat sitting outside.
    So now he thinks im an expert on boats :) and was asking me questions and i hadnt a clue.
    I told him id ask here if anyone can answer me.

He wants to buy a river cruiser.
    And wants to know do you need a license or anything to drive a boat on the shannon or the canals.
    Also if he buys a 2nd hand boat does he need to make sure it has a safety cert or other documents or checks, or can he buy a boat without those things and still be allowed to drive it?

If anyone knows the answers i'll pass the answers on.

Thanks again for all your help

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

NO to question 1 but it is worth registering the boat with http://www.waterwaysireland.org/Pages/Boating/Boat-Registration-and-Permits.aspx it's free and you get a nice welcome pack to introduce you to the waterways. And no to question 2 but depending on how much he wants to spend it might be worth getting a survey done also if it's over 10 years old the insurance companies might request one to be done to make sure it's seaworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Hello people, this is a very informative thread and lots of knowledge. This is my first time to post on this board, so I hope I'm welcome!

Like asingrang I'm stupid when it comes to boats and I'm itching to get into it. I'm looking to buy something like a Bayliner 2455 but I've been told that's it's mostly for rivers etc. My question is this.....I'd be mostly down around the South East (I'm based in Kilkenny). I'd be looking at mooring it in New Ross and going either upstream to Graiguenamanagh, or downstream to Waterford. I'd like to be able to take it around the Hook and over to Kilmore Quay.......would this type of boat be okay for coastal cruising? I'd be staying between Kilmore and the Saltees.

We don't have kids and I just like the look of the Bayliners. I like the sport cruiser shape.

I'm a bit concerned because I heard the low draught isn't the best on open water.

Also, diesel models are scarce enough.....are the petrol engines gas guzzlers, or is it economical enough if you aren't flogging it?

I would have about €15k to spend.......any help on the above would be appreciated.

Sorry for hijacking the thread asingrang!

Hello people, this is a very informative thread and lots of knowledge. This is my first time to post on this board, so I hope I'm welcome!

Like asingrang I'm stupid when it comes to boats and I'm itching to get into it. I'm looking to buy something like a Bayliner 2455 but I've been told that's it's mostly for rivers etc. My question is this.....I'd be mostly down around the South East (I'm based in Kilkenny). I'd be looking at mooring it in New Ross and going either upstream to Graiguenamanagh, or downstream to Waterford. I'd like to be able to take it around the Hook and over to Kilmore Quay.......would this type of boat be okay for coastal cruising? I'd be staying between Kilmore and the Saltees.

We don't have kids and I just like the look of the Bayliners. I like the sport cruiser shape.

I'm a bit concerned because I heard the low draught isn't the best on open water.

Also, diesel models are scarce enough.....are the petrol engines gas guzzlers, or is it economical enough if you aren't flogging it?

I would have about €15k to spend.......any help on the above would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum :) The Bayliner 2455 will be fine for what you want they have a good deep V hull and can handle a bit of chop I don't think you will be heading out in a storm force :eek: I had a 2655 with a 5.7 V8 petrol and found as long as your not giving full throttle all the time it's not too bad on fuel.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Fergal, there's too much info out there......that's why I said I'd ask on here.

Feel free to post any good examples of them for sale!

I'm looking for something that we could do an overnight on.

What kind of money are you talking for a yearly service/upkeep? And what's the fuel capacity of a 2455? Ta. :)

This will give you an idea of fuel economy depending on the engine type.http://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/bayliner-fuel-consumption

Most of the servicing you could do yourself or if you know someone thats handy with cars they will have no problem as it's more or less the same fuel filter, oil filter and water filter, for bigger jobs like the impeller "water pump" you might need a mechanic the part is very cheep so you will be paying for the amount of time it takes more than anything.
    I can't see any for sale at the moment but will keep an eye out :)

I can't post attachments.......I was looking at an ad on done deal, but it's €18k.....fairly pricey. If you see it maybe you might throw your eye over it and see what you think? It's in Leitrim. If you don't mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

That's her, thanks. :)

Looks nice, I would be a bit worried about the American trailer as it may not be legal on our roads so worth checking out if you are going to be towing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Hi, can I suggest you call Ronan at Leinster Boats, www.leinsterboats.ie, he has a close association with the guys in New Ross Boat Yard and would be able to advise you on what boat would suit and what is for sale in the area. The guys at New Ross, Stephen and Michael, are also great guys to deal with and will have a selection of boats for sale in the yard. Get as much advice from professionals as possible before making a decision.

Unless you have deep pockets be wary of large petrol engines, filling the petrol tank weekly can take the fun out of your boating.

Happy boating.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

fergal.b wrote: »
    Looks nice, I would be a bit worried about the American trailer as it may not be legal on our roads so worth checking out if you are going to be towing it.

Hi, if you are buying a boat with an american trailer be aware the ball hitch socket is 2" on an american trailer and our standard is 50mm. The difference in size allows the trailer to come off in some circumstances. Do not tow an american trailer unless the ball hitch socket has been changed to a standard 50mm unit, the consequences of a trailer coming off at high speed doesn't bear thinking of.

So basically it's just a matter of changing the hitch mechanism, that's the only difference?

Thanks for all the quick replies lads.....much appreciated.

Some of them are also wider and don't come with a braking system as they are used as launching trollies or for just transporting the boats here.

• Advertisement

I went down to New Ross today with herself for a look around and then drove over to Waterford.......of all the boats I've seen I still really like the look of the Bayliner 2455.......and as regards a location I think I would prefer Waterford, even though it's dearer.

The sealine 240s might also be worth a look, they are a bit higher spec than the bayliners and hold their money well.http://www.apolloduck.ie/feature.phtml?id=369277

That's a beauty Fergal, thanks for finding it……..it'll be a while before I free up the cash so I'm sure it will be sold…….that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for though….. :-/

Just another stupid question lads…….you know if you brought a car in from the UK you have to pay VRT…..are there any charges on bringing in a boat? Sorry for the stupidity……

Just make sure the VAT is paid, this might help http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76304628

It's been a while since I posted in here asking for advice, I've taken it all on board, and I've PM'd Fergal a few times asking advice too.......so out of decency I said I'd give you all an update......

I am now the proud owner of a Sea Ray 240!!!

(I hope it's not washed away in those floods!)

You can look forward to lots of stupid posts in the future! :)

Congrats on the new boat well wear :)

Hello again.....I finally took ownership of my boat today (in atrocious weather).....she's a Sea Ray Sundancer 240. We put her on the trailer last week to have a look underneath her, it looks in good shape.

Here's a few pics of her.....see what ye think. Many thanks to all the people who posted helpful comments for me.

If you hear a "Pan Pan" around the South East it's probably me. 😜

She looks nice best of luck with her.One thing I will say it doesn't look like the trailer is braked so it may not be road legal and a boat like this would have no problem pushing the back of a 4x4 sideways when breaking or going down hill so be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Lovely boat. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement