Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

15k would buy you enough wood to build this... Number 1 on my bucket list is to build one of these some day.

What is the next project?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

gutteruu wrote: »
    15k would buy you enough wood to build this... Number 1 on my bucket list is to build one of these some day.

What is the next project?

Don't put off till your dying what you can do today:D Have a look at the Glen-l Tahoe 23, Monaco and riviera they are all in your hands you just have to let them out :)

pic1111-7.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hmmmmm

20140401_133838.jpg

20140408_164449.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What's goin' on here? I'm confused, Ted :confused:

• Advertisement

Any idea now :)

20140411_192446.jpg

Emmmm........ not really!

But it's looking more boat-related than patio-heater-related now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Two lovely pieces of stainless ? steel salvaged from broken heater FOR ????

Transom Bands :D

20140414_164410.jpg

Well now. I'd have been a LONG time guessing that.

Only you could see transom bands (new one on me!), or indeed any sort of a boat part, in a fallen-down patio heater :D

• Advertisement

A bit more red leather I might also put a glove box on the left hand side :)

20140415_170259.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

What are the plans for the engine cover? Gonna do something on rails?

What are the plans for the engine cover? Gonna do something on rails?

I'm playing around with linear actuators they are like electric rams that will lift the hatch up :D

A few photos from the weekend.

ferg04_zpsf7006bd9.jpg

ferg10_zps5888c7ef.jpg

ferg11_zps8d0f91c0.jpg

ferg14_zpsa22d5c55.jpg

ferg07_zpsc9b0a9cb.jpg

10344027_10152358948157086_1222628988_o_zps3e9e0ca9.jpg

ferg09_zps18c4bab0.jpg

ferg06_zps262bda44.jpg

ferg02_zps50c7c7fc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

It's impossible to decide which is the best side/angle in the photos - it just looks perfect from any angle. The conditions looked nice too.

And it looks like I made the Glen-L face book page :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/glenlboatplans?ref=stream
    fergal.b wrote: »
    A few photos from the weekend.

ferg04_zpsf7006bd9.jpg

ferg10_zps5888c7ef.jpg

ferg11_zps8d0f91c0.jpg

ferg14_zpsa22d5c55.jpg

ferg07_zpsc9b0a9cb.jpg

10344027_10152358948157086_1222628988_o_zps3e9e0ca9.jpg

ferg09_zps18c4bab0.jpg

ferg06_zps262bda44.jpg

ferg02_zps50c7c7fc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IreJohn

Congratulations Fergal, recognition well earned !

She's famous :D "well almost"

IWN_zps79257e9d.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

Thought of you when I got my mag in the post this morning!

A bit more testing over the weekend, I seem to be getting a bit of a vortex at the back of the boat and it's forcing water spray up the transom and soaking my back :rolleyes: I might have to fit a spray rail across the transom or try and find whats causing the spray maybe fit a Gopro to have a good look unless someone has a wind tunnel I can use :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

Looks like the overwater profile of the boat may be playing a part. At a guess you are getting vortices coming off each side which may be interacting with each other around the transom. If they meet in phase they can reinforce each other. My untrained eye suggests that the wash coming off the hull bottom is relatively clean. Are you getting exhaust fumes with the backwash?

BTW passed you out going down the MI on Friday close to lunchtime. We were in a reddish Ford Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Are your tabs sitting below the waterline and being dragged through the water? I use a GoPro if you can get your hands on one defintely .

No smell of fumes and the tabs are a few mm above the bottom of the transom, the bow looks a bit low so I might give the tabs a few turns to bring it up and see how that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I don't believe any of that stuff.:P Everything Fergal does is perfect; he knows exactly what is wrong, he's just screwin' around so that he has an excuse to get out on the water ('Dear, I really do need to get afloat to test my most recent adjustments to the trim tabs.') :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I don't believe any of that stuff.:P Everything Fergal does is perfect; he knows exactly what is wrong, he's just screwin' around so that he has an excuse to get out on the water ('Dear, I really do need to get afloat to test my most recent adjustments to the trim tabs.') :D:D

You need to turn it up a bit, be a cranky old man at home till she sends you out on the water then come home a new happy man who is joy to live with.

It works but she may send you to see a shrink to see if you are bi-polar, explain it to them and they'll understand

I got the use of a wind tunnel and this is whats happening :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTRRPNWBGEM

After a bit of playing around with the trim tabs I think I have it sorted now :) all nice and dry and a happy passenger :D

One of the things that was bugging me was the black plastic cover on the steering column it just didn't look the part.

20140904_155442.jpg

So with the help of DeVore on the woodcraft forum this is what we came up with :)

15248957802_00b88c707a_m.jpg

20140922_125939.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I know nothing about boats but Old's Cool is an absolute beauty…….and I love the name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Wow Fergal, I have been following the thread. Your work is amazing and the name is a stroke of genius.

I have a quick question you might be able to help me with. I am looking for a dinghy I can restore. I have just gotten a motorboat on the shannon and want something i can use and stow in the davits.
    The boat is 13ft wide, so looking for a dinghy around 12ft. I dont mind if it is grp or wood. I would perfer wooden, clinker built. But I want a medium sized project.

My question is do you know any good places to look??
    I have looked on DD and all the usual places, but there isnt anything suitable. And the ones that "I could make do with" have prices are silly.
    And I dont want to just make do.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement