Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android Phone for my g/f?

• 14-03-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

So, my g/f currently uses an iPhone 3GS. It's completely knackered and she needs to update. She's on Pre Pay and is intrigued by Android. I'm getting a Note 2 next week so she wants to have a go first before she makes up her mind to switch from iOS. She doesn't want a big phone. her friend has an S3 and it's way too big for her.

Could anyone suggest a smaller device that's really powerful?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

None of the smaller phones are top of the line. Your best bet might be something like an S3 mini. Midrange smartphone really, but certainly not a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

shuffles03 wrote: »
    So, my g/f currently uses an iPhone 3GS. It's completely knackered and she needs to update. She's on Pre Pay and is intrigued by Android. I'm getting a Note 2 next week so she wants to have a go first before she makes up her mind to switch from iOS. She doesn't want a big phone. her friend has an S3 and it's way too big for her.

Could anyone suggest a smaller device that's really powerful?

I don't know how small shes willing to go but the Xperia Mini is pretty powerful and it's the smallest android to date as far as I know and it's about 150 euro on o2. Specs here http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_mini-3947.php

If she's willing to spend more I'd go for one of the higher end Xperias they aren't too big but pack a punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Aspiring wrote: »
    I don't know how small shes willing to go but the Xperia Mini is pretty powerful and it's the smallest android to date as far as I know and it's about 150 euro on o2. Specs here http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_mini-3947.php

If she's willing to spend more I'd go for one of the higher end Xperias they aren't too big but pack a punch.

I was actually just about to mention the Xperia range. She's not looking for small, she just wouldn't be able to use a phone the size of the S3. The most powerful we can get that is around the size of the iPhone 5 would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I was actually just about to mention the Xperia range. She's not looking for small, she just wouldn't be able to use a phone the size of the S3. The most powerful we can get that is around the size of the iPhone 5 would be perfect.

The latest Xperia range are the best to date too they seemed to have upped their game. Apparently the Galaxy S IV comes out tomorrow or soon enough but I'd expect the screen to only get bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Wait until you get the Note 2. Let her use it over the next week or two and she won't won't a small phone after that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Motorola Razor I.

My girlfriend got one recently and loves it. Its much much better than that Samsung Mini crap, if she is coming from an iphone she wont appreciate the mini. But the Motorola will certainly be a good bar against it.

listermint wrote: »
    Motorola Razor I.

My girlfriend got one recently and loves it. Its much much better than that Samsung Mini crap, if she is coming from an iphone she wont appreciate the mini. But the Motorola will certainly be a good bar against it.

Is it really powerful?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

she'd probably be surprised at how fast a bigger phone feels normal.

donegal. wrote: »
    she'd probably be surprised at how fast a bigger phone feels normal.

That what I said. She needs to sit down properly with a bigger phone to see it's benefits. Although the Note 2 might turn her off if it's the first 'big' phone she gets to have a go of. She's a teeny person :pac:

Is it really powerful?

It has no lag, very fast, good camera, great screen and the build quality and feel of the phone is premium. I compare this to my bothers samsung mini and i get sad face :(

ive a samsung galaxy nexus myself. the motorola feels more solid in the hand tbh than mine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The Razr i is every bit as good as the so called higher end andriod phones, trust me ive used then all apart from N4.
    It also has the best battery ive ever used,the only phone ive used that comes close to it in terms of battery is the HTC Radar windows phone.

Where's best to get it? She's currently with O2

I got mine with emobile, mainly becasue im on a nice plan with them that suits me fine.
    Just checked O2 there and they seem to stock them

http://www.o2online.ie/shop/view/product/ql_catalog/catdevice/35251905;jsessionid=AE47123612D68F1BD8E89F71F24AB8DC.AppNode1?tariffType=PAYG

Hers is with Meteor.

At this stage with all networks reasonably the same in terms of reliability id shop around them all and see what deals are going this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭runswithascript

5starpool wrote: »
    None of the smaller phones are top of the line. Your best bet might be something like an S3 mini. Midrange smartphone really, but certainly not a dud.

Samsung Galaxy S III Mini seconded - awesome, awesome phone.

dusf wrote: »
    Samsung Galaxy S III Mini seconded - awesome, awesome phone.

Feels terribly slow beside the razr i, specs are well behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

I know this is an Android forum and that I may get pilloried for this but my gf recently needed to upgrage her phone (she had a really old Nokia) and finally went with the Lumia 820 - she loves it! Possibly because she can make all the tiles pink and it has a nice red case on it - whatever it is she shows it off to anyone she comes across.

To be fair it does everything she would need a phone to do (Facebook and Wordament seemingly) though I was surprised by how heavy it is. Own a HTC One X myself and that is considerably lighter.

Getting the HTC One through work soon. Can't wait!

Advertisement