Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Premium Android tablet

• 17-06-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hey guys, as the title suggests I'm looking into getting my hands on a top of the line quad core android tablet with android 4.0 out of box.

After researching I see the newly released quad core nvidia tablets pack the most punch. I have narrowed it down further to these 3 makes, 4 in total. Alot of these tablets share the same characteristics, hdmi ports, etc, I have not listed all of them.

1.acer iconia 510; supports ntfs, best battery, only accessory/charge point, word suite, speakers at the bottom, 5mp camera no flash, saw a review that said screen not as good as samsung galaxy2 and browser not as fast, android 4.0, rotation lock, no usb ethernet driver, iconia can get hot

2.toshiba excite 10 at305; only supports fat, word suite extra, speakers at the bottom, gorilla glass, micro usb (doesnt come with adapter),
    full sd, micro hdmi, rotation lock, 5mp camera +flash, can get adapter
    for usb ethernet, does not get hot

3. Asus transformer prime; gps does not work, micro sd card can fly out, please wait error messages, can get adapter for usb ethernet, wifi performance far inferior to the tf300. Seems more powerful than tf300 but less optimised.

4. Asus transformer tf300; only 1 speaker, camera no flash, can get
    adapter for usb ethernet.

I had written in a few aspects that I have picked up on from watching and reading different reviews. One thing I dislike on all of these tablets is the positioning of the speakers. I think there are two places where you do not want speakers; 1. where your hands are (centre side), 2. at the bottom (how good will the sound be sitting in bed with the tablet speakers sitting on the covers?). However, it seems all the quad cores have this issue, so I'll have to get over it.

I had kind of ruled out Asus because the prime excels in design, not in function. The tf300 has only 1 speaker, which I would not even consider for the sake of movies, etc.

Then there is the Acer, I would probably go for this, but for one point. They only have ONE micro usb slot, for charging and accessories. I cannot forgive that design decision, it is just stupid. It means you cannot use a usb accessory and charge at the same time.

So I am left with the toshiba, I like everything it does the orientation lock seems like a good idea. But it falls down in a few areas. It will not support ntfs external drives (the acer does). The camera is only 5mp although it does have a flash, for the money 8mp would seem more reasonable. Have to pay extra for a word processor, a few complaints about light bleed when looking at black colours.

The toshiba seems to be the newest and is difficult to find for purchase anywhere online. I eventually found it on http://www.dabs.ie/products/toshiba-at300-100-tegra-t30sl-android-4-0-nvidia-1gb-16gb-10-1--841V.html?refs=54410000-50540&src=3 and http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2874722&CatId=6957
    I would prefer the 32 gig version also.

I am wondering if any of you have opinions, or own any of these models? Are you aware or waiting for any new quad core tablets on the horizon? Am I missing another contender?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

I would personally discount the Transformer Prime. For the kind of money you would be paying, the GPS and WIFI issues are unforgivable imo.

I was in the same position as you a month or so ago and I decided to wait. There are a raft of new Android 4.0 quad core tabs coming out in the next few months and more importantly imo, Windows 8 touch enabled laptops and Windows 8 tablets will be released.

For my needs, a touch screen enabled, high powered Windows 8 laptop/tablet hybrid of some sorts is perfect. If the manufacturers get the hardware right and Microsoft deliver with Windows 8*, then they can have my money.

* Also important that all of the major apps that I currently use on Android are ported over to Windows 8 Metro OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm using the Transformer Prime since January. Have never experienced the WiFi issues mentioned. It works amazingly well. I have received the GPS dongle and it works well, but I've no interest in using it in the car. My phone works fine for that and a tablet is just awkward and OTT. It doesn't have any of the lag I've experienced with using the Samsung tablets which I find unbearable. Also, allot of people have commented on the quality and how good it feels in the hand. The speaker position isn't a big issue either as I just change my hand position - also if you kind of cup your hand while holding it at the speaker, you can actually amplify the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I'd wait to see what Google announce at their IO, it might not be totally high end, but it will run Jelly bean, and quickly run whatever comes after that and will be optimised for the software like no other tablet.

Nolimits wrote: »
    I'd wait to see what Google announce at their IO, it might not be totally high end, but it will run Jelly bean, and quickly run whatever comes after that and will be optimised for the software like no other tablet.
    My understanding is that the Google/Asus tablet will be 7"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can you view videos properly with the screen rotated through 180 degrees or will the image always align with the 'top'? I'm asking this with respect to the speaker position on the Acer A510.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm looking at a new Android tab myself to replace a couple of older devices.
    The Asus TF300 gets seriously good reviews especially at its price point.
    Keep an eye out for the Asus Transformer Infinity, due to replace the Prime.
    Was announced at MWC in January and expected to be released over the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I bought the Transformer prime about a month ago. 2 weeks after it arrived the screen cracked pretty much spontaneously. It seems to be a pretty common issue with the tablet itself which I would link to it being unable to deal with the pressure involved in opening the tablet when in a docked position.

Really is gutting as the tablet was perfect in every other respect in terms of what I got it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Can you view videos properly with the screen rotated through 180 degrees or will the image always align with the 'top'? I'm asking this with respect to the speaker position on the Acer A510.

That is a hell of a point, I had not thought of that. I would say you are correct, but I will try to double check. I know for a fact the sony tablet s will not do "upside down", but my instinct is that most other tablets will. It may appear quite obvious but I had not thought of that at all, thanks for pointing it out! :D

Gran Hermano, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. A flawless prime would be quite appealing. Released this month you say, will probably be a while until it makes it's way to europe though.

I was afraid Drose1 would be correct with the idea of waiting, I think I will have to wait also. I am impressed by what windows8 promises, but the idea of getting the first windows8 tablet is a nono.. the idea of getting any technology first generally ends with a headache.

Yeah Wilibur that is what I came across reading reviews, the prime is just not optimised tightly enough for me. I would flip running into obvious issues like that, having handed over big bucks. Issues that came up in testing and executives said "go anyway", that is not good enough. I'm not slating the prime, when it came out it was in a league of it's own, that is why I imagine the prime replacement to be pure class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://eee.asus.com/eeepad/transformer-infinity/features/

I believe the back is not solid metal, there is a plastic strip to overcome the fact a solid metal case on the Prime didn't help with wifi and GPS reception.

The speaker on the TF300 is not really a concern for me, if I'm watching video I use earphones. Toms Hardware has a great review on the TF300 and I believe Dixons in Dublin airport have it for around 450 including the dock.

Speculation was abounding last week that Asus would announce a release date for the Infinity before the end of June, not sure if waiting another couple of months for release here plus a couple of extra hundred euro on the infinity over the TF300 is worth it.

Edit: Asus UK tweeted an August release date for the Infinity https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/AsusUK/status/214697872162160640

Ruffty^ wrote: »

Yeah Wilibur that is what I came across reading reviews, the prime is just not optimised tightly enough for me. I would flip running into obvious issues like that, having handed over big bucks. Issues that came up in testing and executives said "go anyway", that is not good enough. I'm not slating the prime, when it came out it was in a league of it's own, that is why I imagine the prime replacement to be pure class.

Its really pissed me off... The retailer are saying it is not covered. Really gutted, 500 quid down the drain..

• Advertisement

Do you want to elaborate on your position, or have you done it elsewhere willabur? From the little bit you said, I understood that you had the transformer prime in the add on qwerty keyboard dock. You opened it by the lid, as you would any laptop along the leading edge as it were.. and bang the screen cracks.
    If that is what happened to you, you should look through the manual and find where it gives you instruction on how to open the transformer prime while docked without destroying it! I'd say you will not find that instruction, in which case go to the national consumer agency http://www.nca.ie/

You can clarify what exactly happened, but if it is as I understand, how could you possibly be blamed?? If some muppet manager in the curry's or online retailer, wherever you got it will not back down, you should go to the nca (these agencies are fighting for a right to life against cuts and I'd say they love cases like yours).

http://splicd.com/7pQ6fd6iO_c/150/156 Hopefully that link works ;)

No problem at all.

The tablet was docked and in the closed position. I opened up the tablet to use it and used it as normal for a couple of minutes. I was switching between video and email, while in email mode the screen timed out which requires you to press the power button to unlock. Upon doing this I noticed the crack from right under the power button all the way across the face of the tablet to the right side of the screen. At no point was the tablet dropped, mishandled or abused. From my point of view the use was totally normal.

I emailed and posted online here to the store which I bought from and this is what they responded with

You could try return it under warranty and our RMA technicians may take a look and try send it for a repair however usually anything that has cracks or breaks is not covered in the product warranty.

I am posting the tablet back to them tomorrow. I intend to copy in some board threads from people who have had the same problem of which there seems to be several cases with this model.

Thanks for the tip regarding the NCA, it is something I will pursue them to the last for. Far too much money for it to break so quickly and easily

willabur wrote: »
    No problem at all.

The tablet was docked and in the closed position. I opened up the tablet to use it and used it as normal for a couple of minutes. I was switching between video and email, while in email mode the screen timed out which requires you to press the power button to unlock. Upon doing this I noticed the crack from right under the power button all the way across the face of the tablet to the right side of the screen. At no point was the tablet dropped, mishandled or abused. From my point of view the use was totally normal.

I emailed and posted online here to the store which I bought from and this is what they responded with

You could try return it under warranty and our RMA technicians may take a look and try send it for a repair however usually anything that has cracks or breaks is not covered in the product warranty.

I am posting the tablet back to them tomorrow. I intend to copy in some board threads from people who have had the same problem of which there seems to be several cases with this model.

Thanks for the tip regarding the NCA, it is something I will pursue them to the last for. Far too much money for it to break so quickly and easily
    I'd be interested in seeing photos of the damage. People on xda were making similar claims, but many turned out to be false and opportunistic...

I am not being opportunistic here - why would I bother posting up on Boards if I was?? I just want a functioning asus transformer prime. Something which will not crack across the middle when it is opened or when the power button is pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have the Asus TF300. No idea why it only having one speaker would bother you, sound from it is much better than from my old Dell laptop.

Granted the quality may not be improved, but the experience is better from a speaker on each side of the device. I think I will hold out for the Infinity, it sounds very promising. They better not put an Infinite price tag on it.

That sounds reasonable to me Willabur, both on price and principle, I say good luck with your fight.

Got my tablet back this morning.
    I have attached a picture of it to this post.

Komplett and Asus have both stated that physical damage is not covered under warranty. Even though the damage appears to be as a result of a design flaw or a weakness in the tablets screen in at least some of the production models if not all going by the amount of online testimonies already posted above. There are more and more being reported I guess as people use this device.

Asus met me with a straight bat when I rang them. That they would charge £35 just to post it back to me - god knows what they would ask to have it repaired.... all in all it is quite sickening considering the cost of it.

Advertisement