Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat and Terrestrial recorder

• 17-01-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I want to build a setup where I can record freesat and digital terrestial tv.

Does anyone know of a freesat pvr that can also record digital terrestrial signals (or maybe this standard functionality - I have never used a PVR before)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dylanf

looks like this will do it:
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Humax_Foxsat_HD_PVR_Freesat_.html

though at a price i'm not really looking for considering satellite etc needs to come on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dylanf wrote: »
    looks like this will do it:
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Humax_Foxsat_HD_PVR_Freesat_.html

though at a price i'm not really looking for considering satellite etc needs to come on top.

that's just satillite, wont do DTT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thats correct you need a combo box or stand alone mpeg 4 DTT box to get terrestrial.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

MVision HD300 Combo will record DTT & satellite. There's other boxes out there but I don't know their names.

z

Bear in mind it has no built in recording you need an external recorder or hard drive. Ferguson box does the same as I'm sure many more do. They are also free to air boxes and not official freesat.

zagmund wrote: »
    MVision HD300 Combo will record DTT & satellite. There's other boxes out there but I don't know their names.

z

• Advertisement

I think you are right - I must have lost my way while navigating and then was thinking that the line "Receive HDTV signals (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 and MPEG-2)" meant I could pick DTT.

Glad I didn't jump in and order one now.

I was actually thinking of the Fergusson arriva combo box http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Terrestrial_and_Satellite__Free_to_Air_Combo_Receivers_2.html .

Which does both but requires and external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Willby

Hi
    The technomate TM-7100 HD triple Tuner PVR should do the trick.Will set you back over €500 though. It has two sat.tuners and one dtt. I believe it covers the Irish DTT service with an MPEG4 in addition to MPEG2 dbt.
    Rgds
    Willby

It is at the high end but Technomate is an excellent brand and lots of guys here use them.

ive been looking at the specs on a number of the suggestions here and they all seem to be limited to 1080i whereas my TV can support 1080p.

is the difference worth worrying about for a satellite signal or is the signal more likely to be the limiting factor here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

There are no TV channels broadcast at 1080p so this is not a limiting factor.

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    There are no TV channels broadcast at 1080p so this is not a limiting factor.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Any of the combo pvr boxes will do both. Prices coming down as well now. I would always reccomend a technomate as 1st choice but what ive seen of the Mvision 300 and the Ferguson combo impresses me and are well worth the money. Both have great support and their firmware/software are easily upgraded. You will need a decent sized self powered usb hard drive, especially if you are going to record a lot of HD content (Ive found a lot of usb pvr's do not like hard drives that use the usb as a power source's), But the memory stick type of flash drives work fine, but are to small (A 1hr BBC HD recording is around 4-5gb in size).

There are some cheaper combo's coming in from Europe now (Poland are using mpeg4 DVBT now along with France), Havent used any or seen any in action but they can be got for as little as 120€.

Lastly, the Irish DTT is still really just a test, even though its the only way i can receive Irish tv at a decent quality now my analogue is so poor, So dont be surprised if service goes missing for a few days, But saying that Truskmore has been pretty solid since it started last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cupart

Tony wrote: »
    It is at the high end but Technomate is an excellent brand and lots of guys here use them.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cupart

snaps wrote: »
    Any of the combo pvr boxes will do both. Prices coming down as well now. I would always reccomend a technomate as 1st choice but what ive seen of the Mvision 300 and the Ferguson combo impresses me and are well worth the money. Both have great support and their firmware/software are easily upgraded. You will need a decent sized self powered usb hard drive, especially if you are going to record a lot of HD content (Ive found a lot of usb pvr's do not like hard drives that use the usb as a power source's), But the memory stick type of flash drives work fine, but are to small (A 1hr BBC HD recording is around 4-5gb in size).

I'm using a TM-6900HD Combo with an external 320Gb USB powered HDD and it works wonders. I used to have The Darkman patch on my TM but it was very unstable so switched back to the official TM software.

Only minus with the TM6900HD Combo is that it lacks blind search (which the new Super have) and won't pull in all HD channels due to incompatibility.

None of the 6000 series TM's have dual sat inputs so you can only record one channel at a time and not watch anything else but what you're recording.

The DVB-T seems to be working fine as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Cupart wrote: »
    I'm using a TM-6900HD Combo with an external 320Gb USB powered HDD and it works wonders.

Only minus with the TM6900HD Combo is that it lacks blind search (which the new Super have) and won't pull in all HD channels due to incompatibility.

You seem to be lucky i have the original TM 6900 HD and had no luck with a usb powered 2.5" drive. Ive a 320gb western digital 3.5" hooked up to mine.

What HD channels cant you get? Ive had no problems with tuning in any HD channels?

The pilot setting usually dictates what the 6900 will pull in, either off or on it varies!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

I highly recommend the Technomate TM7100 triple tuner receiver, at last all things in one receiver and 3 HD Tuners, record 3 channels and watch another,,its a first for any receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Hi. I still have a few questions on the Technomate TM-7100..
    1. Is it possible to record things with a series link?

2. Can you record satellite and view DTT (and vice versa) at the same time?

3. Do both formats show on the same epg?

4. Anything else I should consider with same/better specs? (preferably cheaper!)

5. What's "blind search"? I've seen it written all over the place, but no definition. Why is it so good and does this unit have it?

6. If I order one from saortv, how much can I get it for (delivered to Cork) with a 500GB internal hdd?

Hi Gunther

You wont get series link on anything other than Sky or Freesat branded boxes.

The Technomate is an FTA solution with 7 day guide for DTT but now and next for satellite. They are both on the same guide.

Blind search searches all available transponders and frequencies on a satellite and does not need a preloaded list like most receivers. Quite a few receivers can do this but doing it quickly is another matter. This is where theTechnomate excels.

6. If I order one from saortv, how much can I get it for (delivered to Cork) with a 500GB internal hdd?

Slegs cannot answer that here as commercial interaction is not allowed but I'm sure if you contact him directly (or even check the website) you can get that information.

slegs wrote: »
    Hi Gunther

You wont get series link on anything other than Sky or Freesat branded boxes.

The Technomate is an FTA solution with 7 day guide for DTT but now and next for satellite. They are both on the same guide.

Is it true that some (Linux based) FTA devices can be unofficially firmware-updated to have a Freesat-like configuration? If so, can you recommend such a device -with hdd and series link ..and also DTT ?

Otherwise I suppose the only option is Freesat w/hdd and a seperate DTT box. (?)

• Advertisement

Tony wrote: »
    Slegs cannot answer that here as commercial interaction is not allowed but I'm sure if you contact him directly (or even check the website) you can get that information.

Thanks Tony. I didn't mean to exclude anyone with my questions of course. It's just saortv was the only place I saw that unit. Anyway I don't think I'll be getting it now. My guess is I'll have to get Freesat + some other separate DTT unit.

I don't even watch TV, but whenever I do it is almost always via series-link recorded Sky+. Any future solution(s) would more or less have to have that. In one box or multiple. Any suggestions much, much appreciated.

Is it true that some (Linux based) FTA devices can be unofficially firmware-updated to have a Freesat-like configuration? If so, can you recommend such a device -with hdd and series link ..and also DTT ?

Otherwise I suppose the only option is Freesat w/hdd and a seperate DTT box. (?)

If series link is a key feature go for a freesat+ box. There will be similar boxes for Saorview in time and the combination of the 2 meets your requirements.

Advertisement