Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NASA say defunct satellite due to plunge to earth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Sure Kim Il-sung's family are decendants of the Il-sung's of Leitrim.

I know you were kidding, but "Kim" is the family name. Kim Il-Sung, son of Kim Jong-Il.

So you mean the Kims from Leitrim. I know them well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

Verres wrote: »
    I know you were kidding, but "Kim" is the family name. Kim Il-Sung, son of Kim Jong-Il.

So you mean the Kims from Leitrim. I know them well ;)

He was the father of Kim Jong-Il, apols. not son. Still, family name "kim"

Some updates on the satellite.
    One report says some of it may fall in Italy 23rd sept @22 hrs.

http://www.agi.it/english-version/world/elenco-notizie/201109220912-cro-ren1011-some_us_satellite_debris_might_fall_on_italy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwnNTllrAdM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15021323

below from space track.org

Catalog Number 21701
    Common Name UARS
    Country/Organization US
    Predicted Decay Date/Time 2011-09-24 01:59:00 GMT +/- 144 Hours
    Prediction Date/Time 2011-09-14 15:52:00 GMT

TIP Reports for Object 21701, UARS, US

Report Date/Time 2011-09-14 15:52:00 GMT
    Predicted Decay Time 2011-09-24 01:59:00 GMT +/- 144 Hours
    Predicted Decay Location 2° S, 52.2° E
    Direction descending
    Inclination 57°
    Revolution Number 10918
    High Interest Object N
    Next Report 168 Hours
    Trajectory

Time Lat. Lon.
    2011-09-24 00:44:00 50.9° S 121.7° E
    2011-09-24 00:59:00 40.4° S 211.6° E
    2011-09-24 01:14:00 9.9° N 247.7° E
    2011-09-24 01:29:00 53.8° N 299.6° E
    2011-09-24 01:44:00 35.5° N 26.1° E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

markfla wrote: »
    This is actual footage of the satellite over France, impressive footage.

By Thierry Legault who also captured the image of the solar transit of the International Space Station (ISS) and Space Shuttle Atlantis.

iss_shuttle_crop.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

In todays indo watch out people

By Andy Bloxham
    Thursday September 22 2011
    A 20-YEAR-OLD NASA satellite the size of a bus is heading for Earth and expected to hit tomorrow.

NASA and the US Department of Defense are tracking the 35ft spacecraft, the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite, or (UARS), as it heads towards the planet at five miles per second.

Experts say there is a one-in-3,200 risk of the six-ton space junk hitting someone.

However, its speed means that there will only be a 20-minute warning before it strikes.

Debris is expected to scatter across a 500-mile area, with the biggest chunk weighing 300lb, the weight of a large refridgerator.

The anticipated landing area spans cities as far north as Edinburgh and as far south as Cape Horn, on the southern coast of South America.

NASA spokespeople have stressed that the risk to human life and property from UARS is small.

They cite the statistic that in 50 years of space exploration no one has ever been hurt by falling space junk, while they claimed that people were much more likely to be fatally struck by lightning.

Mark Matney, an orbital debris scientist at NASA, said: "We know it is going to hit somewhere between 57 north latitude and 57 south latitude, which covers most of the inhabited world unfortunately."

The biggest piece of space debris to fall from orbit was America's 75-ton Skylab which hit Earth in 1979.

UARS was launched in 1991 to measure the ozone layer, wind and temperature. It was officially decommissioned in 2005.

It is the biggest NASA spacecraft to "come back" in three decades, after Skylab fell in western Australia but Mr Matney said similar-sized pieces of spent rocket and satellite debris fall to Earth about once per year.

US Strategic Command's Joint Space Operations Center is "keeping everyone - not just NASA but all the federal agencies that deal with public safety issues - informed about where it is and predictions of where it's coming," a spokeswoman said.

NASA has warned people not to touch the debris if they come across it because it is likely to have sharp edges.

- Andy Bloxham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Just missed the report on the 9 news.What time is it due to cross Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

murrayp4 wrote: »

Apparently 6 hours time, with Galway and Wexford in line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

murrayp4 wrote: »

I think it said some time between 2-3.30am. Was only on in the background and I wasn't paying attention!
    If anyone could confirm this?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

will be closest approach dublin Ireland friday 23rd sept

uars satellite tracking... http://www.n2yo.com/?s=21701

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Looks like Galway escaped last night, :)
    You can keep an eye on the thingy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHffbAxVh4

And this is the shuttle launch that brought UARS to space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

any idea when its ment to crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

any idea when its ment to crash?

Update #10
    Fri, 23 Sep 2011 03:45:08 PM GMT+0100

As of 10:30 a.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 100 miles by 105 miles (160 km by 170 km). Re-entry is expected late Friday, Sept. 23, or early Saturday, Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time. Solar activity is no longer the major factor in the satellite’s rate of descent. The satellite’s orientation or configuration apparently has changed, and that is now slowing its descent. There is a low probability any debris that survives re-entry will land in the United States, but the possibility cannot be discounted because of this changing rate of descent. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 12 to 18 hours.

updated from here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

im sure we've all heard that at around 2, 30 am tonight the satilite will be over ireland
    nasa say that they own it and not to touch it , or sell it
    but what the legal deal their
    can you sell it because it has enter your property.
    is it not the old women at the end of the road talking your ball when it went over the wall.

hope this would be the best place for the legal side of this flying rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Probably an obvious question but do airliners flying in a known re-entry zone have to redirect when something like this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

just boarded plane and was wondering the same myself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd imagine they use the Big Sky theory and play the odds that it won't happen. It covers too much sky too quickly to re-route airliners on the fly. The thing is the size of a bus and there are about 6 parts each the size of a large fridge expected to survive moving at least 10,000mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

No apparently, this snapped just two minutes ago

175614.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

If it lands in my garden I'm keeping it NASA can f### off.Finders keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I bet it will land in greece.. problem solved:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

shedweller wrote: »
    Probably an obvious question but do airliners flying in a known re-entry zone have to redirect when something like this happens?

Irish Aviation Authority have issued this under their NAV WARNINGS :
    NAV WRNG - RESEARCH SATELLITE DE-ORBIT. DEBRIS MAY IMPACT THROUGH
    AIRSPACE INCLUDING SHANNON FIR/UIR AND SOTA SOUTH OF 552500N. ALL
    PERSONS ARE STRONGLY REQUESTED TO REPORT ANY ENCOUNTER WITH OR
    EXPERIENCE OF FALLING DEBRIS AS SOON AS PRACTICABLE BY RT OR VIA THE
    IAA MANDATORY OCCURRENCE REPORTING SYSTEM WHICH CAN BE ACCESSED VIA
    WWW.IAA.IE. THIS INFORMATION MAY ASSIST TO PLOT ACCURATELY THE
    PRESENCE OF DEBRIS AND ANY EFFECT ON FLIGHT.

PDF here http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=97&n=125

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Was just looking at cnn on tv and they had news saying they now think it will be about 17:30 EST

Looks like the next orbit will be just south of Ireland.

http://www.heavens-above.com/orbit.aspx?satid=21701

It's HERE! Now

It missed, this time!!! :P

gbee wrote: »
    It's HERE! Now

It's about 150 miles south of the country, it will pass over the southern tip of the UK in about 3 mins though. Next orbit it will pass right over us though.

It's about 150 miles south of the country, it will pass over the southern tip of the UK in about 3 mins though. Next orbit it will pass right over us though.

It's moving tooooo fast, you can't post that in 3 mins ~ it's already GONE. Russia NOW :)

Altitude is 103 miles at the moment. Its not coming down just yet.

gbee wrote: »
    It's moving tooooo fast, you can't post that in 3 mins ~ it's already GONE. Russia NOW :)

Look at the time I posted and then when you did, 7min difference:). And there is a delay on that site too so it's a good bit ahead in orbit than when you refresh that site, so we are are all out by about 5-10 mins I reckon. Don't know what the update lag on that site is like. I would be great to have a real real time tracking site and we could see NORAD tracking data. I can dream can't I.

Looks like the next pass will be just North of us, thought it would be a flyover but does not look like it now.

• Advertisement

I've lost track! :pac: approaching northern Australia

Advertisement