Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can you be sure a title is clear when buying a house?

• 29-03-2011 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I am in the process of buying a new house but I am facing a few problems. The vendor is a developer who is in serious finacial trouble because of the housing crash and seems to be having trouble getting lendor charges cleared from the property. There was initial two charges on the property that we knew about and he is working on getting them vacated however, a third charge has just cropped up. I know it is my solicitors job to check that the title is clear but is there any way I can double check this or how can I be 100% sure that I am not buying a house with outstanding charges?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

AFAIK only solicitors could get that information. You can voice your concerns to your own solicitor, but they do check a number of times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That's what you hire a solicitor for. They're supposed to check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I'm not sure if this is possible but could you get your solicitor to make the contracts such that any undisclosed or subsequently discovered charges against the property remain his liability and not yours?

Advertisement