Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decent Dublin Clubs

• 12-07-2003 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering what arethe decent clues and bars around dublin city centre. The places i frequent are abite rough for most people and i wanted to find a decent place to go out to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

Hmmmmmm. The Palace Bar on Fleet st. is nice, go upstairs(the left door, if your faceing the building)

John Mulligan's behind the Screen cinema, near Trinity, serves one of the best guinesses around.

If trendy bars is your thing, id advise Ron l Blacks on Dame street.

Im still lokking for a good club in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I haven't been, but I heard that the multi club in the Gaiety is supposed to be great!!

Loads of different rooms, with diff types of music in each!!

I'm hopefully going in a few weeks [just for the RnB room] :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Palace is good if you're 15 I guess. Not otherwise.
    Whelans v good. Also mono. And the big pub on Parliament St that has loads of different beers, name escapes me at the moment. It's opposite Zaytoon which does nice kebabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Go to the Cellar Bar in Frazers, O'Connell Street on a Saturday.

I reconmend it unreservedly.
    Boston, you should indeed love it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Its all down to what sort of music you're into...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I know what Lenny wants to say...Spirit /cough not!

Lenny is dying to say POD.
    Yeah , music taste will definitely determine where you wanna go.

Spirit & Fireworks...are mostly dance/techno but Spirit is pretty expensive but POD is usually €20 in on a Saturday just like Spirit but the mojority or people goin in there [POD] are not there to drink heavy.

My usual is Q-bar and Redz is right beside that and thats more RnB and good "dance to it" music.

Was meant to go to "Down Under" tonight but im goin to witness instead.

Gonna see Dave Clark again OJ tomorrow and i have a spare Sunday ticket which you can have for nothing if ya like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Go to the Cellar Bar in Frazers, O'Connell Street on a Saturday.

I reconmend it unreservedly.
    Boston, you should indeed love it!

Is that the place you tired to get me to go to with you at one of the board beers. Thing is i know O'Connell, street and while i've never had a problem i know a fair few of the head cases that cause the problems there. But sure enough i'll stall it in a see what it's like. wheres mono and Whelans? chernobyl i'm in redz every other weekend for awhile now, nice enough place but you want abite of variety. the reason i'm asking is because i'm arranging a get togetther with afew of my mates and we kinda wanted a nice place to go.

test

Originally posted by Boston
    Is that the place you tired to get me to go to with you at one of the board beers. Thing is i know O'Connell, street and while i've never had a problem i know a fair few of the head cases that cause the problems there. But sure enough i'll stall it in a see what it's like. wheres mono and Whelans? chernobyl i'm in redz every other weekend for awhile now, nice enough place but you want abite of variety. the reason i'm asking is because i'm arranging a get togetther with afew of my mates and we kinda wanted a nice place to go.

Yeah, that'd be the place.
    Not sure how suitable it would be for a get together, but it's definetly VERY varied.

Check here and have a peek at the playlists.
    Mind you, the website definetly isn't current.

But if you think a setlist like this might be interesting:
    Rammstein - Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen (R)
    :Wumpscut: - Die In Winter (R)
    Therion - The Rise Of Sodom And Gomorrah (R)
    Siouxsie And The Banshees (R) - Love In A Void
    The Sex Pistols (R) - Anarchy In The UK
    U2 - Twilight (R)
    The Pixies - Debaser (R)
    Smashing Pumpkins - Ava Adore (R)
    Kosheen - Hide U (John Creame & Stephanie K Radio Edit) (R)
    X-Walks The Pedwalk - Facer (R)
    Suicide Commando - Hellraiser (Psychopath 01 Version) (R)
    OhGr - Pore (R)
    The Mission - Like A Child Again (R)

I helluva reconmend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by PhatFiesta
    I haven't been, but I heard that the multi club in the Gaiety is supposed to be great!!

Loads of different rooms, with diff types of music in each!!

I'm hopefully going in a few weeks [just for the RnB room] :cool:

Was there on Saturday night. It's open til four and they let anyone in really. So you'll get a fair share of scum who can't handle their drink. Some idiot tried to crack onto my girlfriend, and wouldn't take no for an answer.... still he didn't ruin the night.

Other than that, it's a pretty cool place. There was two live bands palying on Saturday... really funky stuff, and if you get too hot an bothered dancing you can go into the theatre itself, in the balcony and chill out and watch a movie. Good night out, but there'll be alot of VERY drunk people about.
    And the big pub on Parliament St that has loads of different beers, name escapes me at the moment. It's opposite Zaytoon which does nice kebabs.

The Porterhouse? Brainblaster beer. Excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Fireworks plays techno?
    haha no it doesn't it plays commerical,
    spirit don't play much techno at all either. and its full of punters out to get a women and get heavily gargled, also the prices are expensive there,
    pod is a gay club now every friday & Saturday, redbox varies its much from techno to trance to house to dnb and a few other different types,
    its €15 in now on friday and saturday.
    about thet ticket to witnness cherno, thanks a lot!!! had a brillant time and clarkers was great, going to see him in belguim on saturday too! twice in one week! :D
    Where did you go the end of the night????

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Yeah, that'd be the place.
    Not sure how suitable it would be for a get together, but it's definetly VERY varied.

Check here and have a peek at the playlists.
    Mind you, the website definetly isn't current.

But if you think a setlist like this might be interesting:

I helluva reconmend it.

I had allready managed to find that site, looks good, think its worth while becomign a member. That play list also looks like the type of stuff the lads would be into. I'm not a heavy gothic type as you know, but some of them are and others will jsut enough the heavy metal rock.

wher is this pod place, and what is the multi club thing called? sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

the POD is ok... is awful when its packed though cause the bar's are all in awkward area's

the Redbox is on my to-do list

Rí-Rá is decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

!Originally posted by MrNuked
    Palace is good if you're 15 I guess. Not otherwise.

I think you've got it mixed up, Im talking about the Palace BAR on fleet street, quite traditional pub, with traditional live music(some Nights)

Your probably on about The Palace on wexford street, thats closed down now, Never seen 15 yr olds there either!

Originally posted by STaN
    the POD is ok... is awful when its packed though cause the bar's are all in awkward area's

the Redbox is on my to-do list

Rí-Rá is decent

where abouts is the redbox,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Redbox is part of the same building as the Pod.

I've presonally always been partial to a night out in either Ri-Ra or the Gaeity. The music is always good in Ri-Ra and the crowd is about the nicest around.

The Gaeity is something special theres usually two bands playing downstairs and upstairs one geared towards being listened to and the other towards being danced to. Theres also a dance floor type bit in another section downstairs and one more (maybe the best) in a final section above the main stage.

They'll have either a film or another band playing to the mainstage seats and there are bars everywhere. Theres something for everyone I've spent nights dancing away others sitting away from the music chatting and boozing plus one very memorable one watching the Pink Panther.

The place is awful expensive mind and some of the crowd is a bit old if that bothers you but I've had some of the greatest nights out there.

Sorry but wher is ri ra, the pod, and the redbox?

Ri-Ra is just off Dame St. take a left down the little alleyway just beside the Mercantile and go straight on keeping the Stags Head to your left and it's just on the right after that fancy restaurant whose name I forget.

For the Pod walk up Harcourt St. it's right at the end diagonally across form the big Garda building if I remember correctly. If I don't it's around there somewhere.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

hmm dont wanna be posting my favourite niteclub in case it fills up with lads from boards.ie who will take all the women. if you`re looking for ok music coyote lounge is good. but if you`re looking for your whole the palace is the place to go.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Boston
    I had allready managed to find that site, looks good, think its worth while becomign a member. That play list also looks like the type of stuff the lads would be into. I'm not a heavy gothic type as you know, but some of them are and others will jsut enough the heavy metal rock.

Er, there' generally no Metal played at all, tbh!
    I'd say Rammstein is the closest you'd get to Metal in that place altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Lenny
    Where did you go the end of the night????

woops...didnt mean to but ya know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Originally posted by Lenny
    Fireworks plays techno?
    haha no it doesn't it plays commerical,
    spirit don't play much techno at all either.

since when did people start going clubbing for the music. imo it doesnt matter what type of music they play as long as the atmosphere and the women are good. but the best place for music is probably the voodoo lounge. but i wouldnt spend 50 euro on a nite out just for the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Ri-Ra is just off Dame St. take a left down the little alleyway just beside the Mercantile and go straight on keeping the Stags Head to your left
    good for pints before
    and it's just on the right after that fancy restaurant whose name I forget.
    Odessa- and I wouldn't say its fancy, gee try gilbauds etc. Good for brunch the day after..

Originally posted by jd
    good for pints before
    Which one? The Merc or the Stags? Your answer will determine how I percieve you for evermore.
    Originally posted by jd
    Odessa- and I wouldn't say its fancy, gee try gilbauds etc. Good for brunch the day after..
    Looks kinda fancy. I've never been. I've had a look at the Gilbauds menu. I love good food and going out for dinner but that guy is just taking the piss cash wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Stag's Head and Mulligan's are pretty good - anyone know if Thomas House is up to much these days?

Oh and of course - the Porterhouse - even if it does get really packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Which one? The Merc or the Stags? Your answer will determine how I percieve you for evermore.

The stags-where else...

Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

Trinty Arch is my fav haunt, the music is good downstairs and the dance floor is packed, bouncers arent picky, nice pint and ta expensive. The Vaults (underneath O Connell Station I think on Harbour Master place), realluy old style with the stone walls and church pews, plays mostly R and B. Reds is tiny and Fibbers is a ****hole (IMO!!!) . Whelanms is good for the rock music.

• Advertisement
Advertisement