Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chilean Miners thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Plenty of rip off Oakleys on ebay already I'd have thought, they just need to update their marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

robinph wrote: »
    Dodgy digging for over 100 years in the mine with the different levels too close together, no complete secondary escape routes, the ladders in the small parts of the escape routes that were there not being installed, multiple rock falls within the mine, generally unstable mine due to how much of the mountain had been dug out.

Etc, etc, etc...

So basically El Presidente's lack of regulation of safety etc down the line - yet he gets all the media praise during the rescue!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

There's no need for that for god's sake! Chill Out!

For GOD's sake indeed...:rolleyes:
    So they said some prayers and thanked God so what? Are they harming anyone by doing so?

And in any case if you had been watching the rescue you would have seen that first thing they all did when capsule first arrived down was smother the rescue worker with hugs and handshakes. They did the same when they arrived up top, thanking the rescue workers and the President.

Well it would look a bit odd if they start hugging and shaking the hands of their imaginary friends. That's not exactly socially acceptable. Apparently talking to your imaginary friend is though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So basically El Presidente's lack of regulation of safety etc down the line - yet he gets all the media praise during the rescue!!!

He only became president a couple of days after the earthquake earlier this year I believe. I think they have plenty of regulation anyway, just the smaller mines don't necessarily follow the rules properly.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    He only became president a couple of days after the earthquake earlier this year I believe. I think they have plenty of regulation anyway, just the smaller mines don't necessarily follow the rules properly.

Sothats still essentially all under his watch. Just think he milked the positive or spin of it while he was in fact kind of responsible for it occurring as president????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Sothats still essentially all under his watch. Just think he milked the positive or spin of it while he was in fact kind of responsible for it occurring as president????

No, not only did he just come into power, but it's the first time the right has been in power in Chile since the restoration of democracy.

God, are people just fishing for nasty things to say at this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

33 ungrateful bastards.

Each of them had their lives saved by the spectacular efforts from brilliant engineers and rescuers from around the world. They were saved by people who had trained for years for such an event with years of training and expertise. Some rescuers risked their own lives by goind down the shaft before anyone came up.

And what do these ungrateful bastards say without fail when they get to the top. "I thank God for getting me out alive". How about firstly thanking the engineers and rescuers who risked their own lives to save you rather than your imaginary friend?

RANT OVER :mad:

Angry Atheist Alert.

No, not only did he just come into power, but it's the first time the right has been in power in Chile since the restoration of democracy.

God, are people just fishing for nasty things to say at this point?

If you see it that way.

It was very coreographed wasn't it - miners all wearing 450dollar oakleys as they exited, clean shaven, no real mention or analysis of why incident actually occured

Also, closer to home, it appears to me, and i could stand to be corrected, that the Irish drill company involved with the initial smaller hole only really started spreading their positive news on the story when they knew there would be good outcome.

Just being critical here alright but hey - there was a piece in yesterdays irish times alluding to the same matters, and on the news tonight such matters were raised too! Only idle chatter on here after all!??!

The President has made sure to maximise worldwide exposure for this rescue, it remains to be seen if the miners' immediate privacy and long term health is affected by this stance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joeljames

I think that the donation made by Oakley is really wonderful!! I saw Oakley Radar Sunglasses just like the ones the miners were wearing at Best Buy Eyeglasses.

• Advertisement

It was very coreographed wasn't it - miners all wearing 450dollar oakleys as they exited, clean shaven, no real mention or analysis of why incident actually occured
    You can't blame the Chilean president for Oakley wanting some free marketing. The reason for the collapse was because it was an old badly dug mine with no support between levels and dug far too close together.
    The President has made sure to maximise worldwide exposure for this rescue, it remains to be seen if the miners' immediate privacy and long term health is affected by this stance.

Yep, but he was taking a big risk to his popularity in Chile initially where he pledged they would be found and rescued long before there was any sign of life down there. It was a very good media operation for the rescue though, but I think that actually turned out better than what we now have with the miners out in the open and being mobbed by all the TV cameras, Chile had the media very well controlled during the rescue, but also gave them access to far more than they would have ever expected, but because Chile had control of that the initial impact on the miners was minimal.

Hmmmm time will tell

The main thing is the miners got out alive thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Why would the president be responsible anyway? he just came to power, the government has plenty of regulations on mining. The government helped with the rescue ( unlike the BP disaster), so they can claim credit.

Of course watching this a bit I knew there would be two subterranean reactions

1) The kind of people who dont like good news stories. Its a conspiracy. The government caused it.
    2) The underlying Anglospheric feeling that the Chileans are, like all South Americans,incompetent and - worse! - Catholic. Look at our angry Atheist friends.

Just to clarify I love Catholics and good news stories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Hmmmm time will tell

The main thing is the miners got out alive thank god

:mad: AAAAGGGgghhhhh.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Thank God they got out alive and thank God for giving the people the ingenuity to get them out alive.

?

Buicheas le dia (thank god in Irish)

AH Shure, wasn't the collapse an act of god as well. (ducks)

Advertisement