Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ps2 or xbox???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I think you just described possible the best celebrity deathmatch ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

x.jpg

shamelessly stolen from the prototype xbox thread.

would you go up against that thing?

fanboyisim is creeping into this thread and its time to stop it here.

i dont hate the xbox, i just see no reason to purchase one due to the fact the vast majority of its limited catalogue is rubbish.

sure enough there are piles of games on the ps2 that are utter drivel to but the sheer number of good ones means if your a dumbass who dosn't know what they are buying when the cash is handed over the odds are stacked in your favour for getting a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

bought an xbox with splinter cell, halo, sega gt and jsr for 309.99 in games world yesterday....up all night totally blown away by everything especially halo, having gotten used to the glitches with the ps2 everything runs so smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I too was the lucky recipient of an XBox this Chrimbo (the missus playing a blinder with the choice of pressie:) )

Along with the two packaged games (Sega GT2002 and JSRF) which I must say having got the originals on Dreamcast are a big improvement on them. Graphics wise they are superb and in gameply terms they are not lacking either.

I have also picked up FIFA 2003 which plays very well. It's the little things in the game which derive the most fun. Pass the ball around a lot and the crowd will start to cheer with each pass. Stuff like that.

Enough has already been said about how good Halo is.

Finally, and winner in my book over PS2 is the fabulous Championship manager. Will not and cannot be played on any other console, it is a game looked on with envy by other console owners.

Finally, the DVD playback is excellent with all of the features of a normal DVD player and using a scart lead.

I like my XBox!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

XBox just offers something that the other two consoles don't - perhaps it's some sort of Western charm which Sega once had. Something that is just naturally attractive to the likes of me and is - in the face of Nintendo and Sony - somewhat dashing and original.

But anyway, yes, Sony have their market - and have some fine games on their system.

Nintendo will always have their market it seems - and will continue to throw out a few good titles every year.

Microsoft... seem to be capturing a market, from where though, is the question. Could it be some PS2 fans have decided to invest in a second console, could Dreamcast fans finally be investing in a new console? That question probably won't be answered for a while - with PS2 sales figures still soaring to an unbearable extent (just who the hell is actually buying them? Well... me for one... had to get a replacement in December.) - nobody can really tell which way the industry will go in the next three years.
    keenly defended console of choice can't attract any of the big franchises.

Well... when certain companies are locking those franchises to their consoles... heh.

On a final note, yes, that would be the best celebrity deathmatch ever... but I'm beginning to wonder when I look at the XBox prototype - just what was the launch pad designed for before they put a doctored XBox photo on it? Anne Diamond? Hmm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

XBox just offers something that the other two consoles don't - perhaps it's some sort of Western charm which Sega once had.

Yes, companies with the main offices in Osaka and Tokyo are well known for exuding Western charm alright :)
    Something that is just naturally attractive to the likes of me and is - in the face of Nintendo and Sony - somewhat dashing and original.

Fair enough. You're a strange little man :)
    Well... when certain companies are locking those franchises to their consoles... heh.

*shrug* Not really, and not to any extent that Microsoft couldn't compete with if they were willing to try.
    just what was the launch pad designed for before they put a doctored XBox photo on it?

It's the transport assembly for space launches from Cape Kennedy, afaik. Used for lugging Saturn V rockets about the gaff in an upright position :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Western charm
    Sega

:confused:

The reason that the xbox is doing well in europe is due to the very aggressive marketing and lack of credible competition from nintendo europe. it is not really competing against the ps2 as it is far too well established for even microsoft to make a dent into its market share.

for a more accurate view of the systems fortune you must look to america and japan where it is competeing against a company with a slight bit more business acumen that a blind gerbil high on lsd. the last figures i seen for japan showed the xbox trailing behind the wonderswan colour(a handheld far less advanced that the gba). even in its home turf of the states it is trailing the gamecube.

a system is only as sucessful as the quality of the software that is on it. look at the fortunes of the jaguar, the cd32 or the 3do. each was significantly more powerful that the rest of its compeditors but failed. why? because the games for it were beyond terrible. while its not quite as extreme as that in the xbox's case as similar fate might be in store for it unless the quality of its games increases and does so soon. couple that with the fact that microsoft only makes money on software sales for it, means that they need to sell games and lots of them. something that does not seem to be happening even in europe(how many people do you know got an xbox because of the bundled games?) let alone in the vastly more important japanese and us markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    The reason that the xbox is doing well in europe is due to the very aggressive marketing and lack of credible competition from nintendo europe.

Don't know about lack as GameCube+XBox are both claiming second place, as well as the GBA selling well.

aggressive marketing though I'd agree with. Some of it's just plan annoying, like Gerry Ryan on his radio show saying he was looking at Consoles and having a *random* caller who talked like a marketing head.

Or the one I found the funniest was that crappy show "He's got to have it" on discovery channel. They have to pick two items at the end and let the guest choose. What were they? An XBox and a... lawnmower. They were even saying things like "Which do you want? The boring useless lawnmower or this super cool XBox". They also lied a lot about the other consoles.

MS also had to drop thier price by a massive amount to compete with the gamecube. I got my game cube+memory+extra controller+3 games+GBA cables for the same price as an XBox with no games (at that time).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Noel, its sad to see you turned into a fan boy :)

Hardcore gamers and the Xbox???

Look at the line of games Shinji and DiscoStu listed for the PS2 and the Xbox has Halo and Splinter Cell for a while. So if I'm a hardcore gamer and want loads of games I'm going to buy an Xbox?
    Originally posted by Absolam
    I kept my PS2 as well, but I've got to admit it's gathering dust these days..the XBox just rocks!!

there is dust on the top of my Xbox, PS2, GC & PC, its because i need to wipe the dust off them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

everyone's a fanboy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Are there any Xbox owners here prepared to slag the console for any reason?

I've only played a little on the PS2, and never on the GC (I watched Luigi's Mansion with delight in Game when the console first came out, though). Maybe this is why I'm so delighted with my Xbox? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not a hardcore gamer by any accepted definition.

Also, I love the games that I have for my XBox and play all of them consistently, even though they are considered amongst the crappiest available on the console: JSRF, Sega GT2002, Oddworld: Munch's Oddyssey, Rallisport Challenge (my fave) and DOA3. I don't even own (sic) Halo or Splinter Cell, but I am looking forward to Panzer Dragoon: Orta. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Slag the XB eh? Well, the HDD makes weird noises sometimes, even when it shouldnt be accessed at all (like during DVD playback). Its too big, many (not all!) games are undermarketed or crappy. You have to buy the DVD kit seperately. I looks a bit cheap too.

Saying that, Im very happy with my XB. I also have a GC, which IMO is the pinnacle of console engineering; small, quiet, efficient, cheap to buy, but not cheaply made. Unfortunately for the GC, the games are noticeably inferior visually and aurally than the XB.

Which is why people should buy both, they are the two cheapest and most interesting consoles on the market.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In the XBox's defence, it does have Tekki. Hardcore \m/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Are there any Xbox owners here prepared to slag the console for any reason?

Do I count? :)

In the XBox's defence, it does have Tekki. Hardcore \m/.

Oh god yes. I lusted after the Tekki boxes in Akihabara (under 70 quid for controller AND game!) but there was no way in hell that baby was coming back with me as hand luggage :(

I shall own it, however. Oh yes. Tekki... with ultra-big controller... in my living room... on my projector and surround system. The only potential improvement to this would be to be slowly fellated by an entire choir of angels while playing, and frankly, I worry that they'd put me off my aim, or distract me from hitting the eject button at a crucial point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭-RaY-

mk before i post my views i would like to say these kind of posts are mainly for flamin the thread

anyways i have a ps2 and i would have bought and x-box but the god damn thing is just too big and when i tryed it out the controller was wayyyyyyyyyyy too big and i found it very uncomfortable and at that time the only game that seem to be keeping it alive was Halo but then again x-box is obviously the most powerful console and the graphics is truly amazing, trust microsoft to **** it up :rolleyes: if they put more time in creating a proper controller instead of copying their pc side winder pad id say a lot more people would get it.
    like to be honest who would buy an amazing console with great graphical games and find that they wont be able to control it properly cause the joypad is too akward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

anyways i have a ps2 and i would have bought and x-box but the god damn thing is just too big and when i tryed it out the controller was wayyyyyyyyyyy too big and i found it very uncomfortable

In fairness -RaY-, Microsoft have brought out the controller S which is far superior to the original controller. Designed for the Japanese market (who apparently have smaller hands), it has taken off everywhere else. In fact I think most retailers only stock the new 'S' version now.

With a bit of two player action, you can give a mate the big controller and its advantage you ;)

Originally posted by Shinji
    I shall own it, however. Oh yes. Tekki... with ultra-big controller... in my living room... on my projector and surround system.

If I stop acting like a fanboy :P can I play?

Sega... Western... sorry but from years upon years of playing their games I can't help but think of them that way, obviously by nature they are an Eastern company (Well D'uh) - but in their style of game creation, I think they really are. Am I insane for thinking that?
    In fact I think most retailers only stock the new 'S' version now.

Which annoyed me to no end last week - I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I like all my controllers to match, I went into town a few weeks ago to buy a fourth Xbox Controller and couldn't get one... ah predicament!
    Noel, its sad to see you turned into a fan boy.

I've always been a fan boy - it's somewhat annoying and geeky really... in the mega drive days I was a Sega fanboy - during the PSOne glory days I went all quiet, the PS doesn't need me as a fanboy - it has the mass media as one giant fanboy. Now I'm apparently an XBox fanboy - I can't help it, it just happens. What can you expect? I'm only 15! Boo hoo hoo et cetera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Galvatron

PS2!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i probably would have said this if i got the x box .

But i have a ps2 now and apprently graphics arent great , i never really liked the controller for it either , x box looks more like an arcade machine , PS2 HAS many games but do we ever get all them "many" games . Loads of people choosed ps2 over the x box cause ps2 has loads of titles .

X BOX = GREAT
    FOR SAKE OF FUTURE ? = GET PS2 (more games)
    RICH ? = GET BOTH AND A GC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Ps2! X-box is a vcr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

PS2!!!!!!!!!!

its the one and only!

Oh and the Third Place is the (Joint) third place that Nitendo and MS occupy in terms of the console war!!!! :D LOL!

If u want a console with the largest selection of software (in all genres) get a Ps2. I have a Ps2 and played all the others and any one who thinks the XB is soooo much powerful should just look @ Colin McRae Rally 3 on both formats and there is so little difference between the two versions.

You would only notice any differences if u were a GFX wh*re and then its only v minor texture improvements in the box version. We are all being told that the box is waaayyy more powerful than the PS2 but there just isnt any software out on the XB that moves the goalposts from what the PS2 could do anyway.

Also from a control point of view ppl on the PAL IGN boards said that the PS2 version just played better as well (this could be just an issue with box controller tho')

Ps2 has the best Racers, Footie Games (Pro Evo2) Japanese RPG's, we have the GTA series, MGS2 and anything else will prob be coming out on PS2 as well ( Bill tried to buy Take2 to make the GTA series a box exclusive -hard luck Bill! ) :D

"Oh and the Third Place is the (Joint) third place that Nitendo and MS occupy in terms of the console war!!!! LOL!"

LOL!!!! HAHAHA!!! ROFLMAO!!!!11111 What the heck is a Nitendo by the way?

This guy does more damage to the PS2's cause than anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by NoelRock
    Sega... Western... sorry but from years upon years of playing their games I can't help but think of them that way, obviously by nature they are an Eastern company (Well D'uh) - but in their style of game creation, I think they really are. Am I insane for thinking that?
    Yes. I can think of very few games for either Saturn or Dreamcast which were 'western' in their design, and none at all made in-house by Sega.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well i found his third place comment quite amusing, go on the ps2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Originally posted by TCP/IP
    I have both mate and the XBOX blows the PS2 away in all depts get it chiped and you can run backups connect it to your PC use it to play divx, mp3 everything the dvd playback is way better than PS2. And the winner is linux running on the XBOX how cool is that

wasnt the Linux project scrapped because they decided to was too much hassle to break the HEAVY encryption on it?

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    wasnt the Linux project scrapped because they decided to was too much hassle to break the HEAVY encryption on it?

From what I can see - it has been done, I haven't tried it myself though - but upon doing a quick sweep of the web you come across several people who claim to be running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

There is a debian type distro and a mandrake 9 distro out there.

link to debian type distro - http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/index.php

Mandrake download - http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=54192

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Essentially, there is 2 parts to the Linux project. The first stage, which has been completed, is to port Linux to the XBox. The second stage, where they are having trouble, is getting it to run on an unmodded XBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well i mastered YBASIC or something on the ps2 . Such a crappy language , took me less than 5 minutes .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,794 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you get an xbox you get 3 good games (halo, JSRF and splinter cell) and a dodgy one (sega GT). After that though your choice is limited to dull american action/adventure games and mediocre sports games that are on every console any way. I like to buy loads of games during the year and I don't like sports games therefore for me the xbox is a very bad choice. There isn't anything on it that I would call essential. Therefore I won't be getting one in the near future. Probably will buy one in later on but only if there is a game of FFX or Mario Sunshines quality on it. Won't be happening soon however since microsoft have only bought out american publishers and developers and the japanese won't sell out to them.

Advertisement