Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public health

• 28-03-2015 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Want to go to Ucc next year have public health on my cao but biological and chemical sciences is first. Kind of thinking to put public health first. Anyone here in the course? What's it like? Do you hate/moderately like/love it? Is the course interesting? Are there decent careers with this degree? What's the pay like for someone who works in the field of epidemeology?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭To Need a Woman

Don't know much about public health, but with the other course, everyone starts it not knowing where they're going to end up. There's no point in actually studying until 3rd year. First two yrs can be viewed as giving up an understanding and appreciation for science. Which someone had told me that. Therefore it's all about doing the bare minimum, but in every topic. It's nearly all MCQ.

I'm in 3rd year now, and no one seems to know where they're going to end up, or even care that much. There's no placement, which doesn't help your case, and no one seems to bother trying to get one independently. High failure rate too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Angelo.J197

Don't know much about public health, but with the other course, everyone starts it not knowing where they're going to end up. There's no point in actually studying until 3rd year. First two yrs can be viewed as giving up an understanding and appreciation for science. Which someone had told me that. Therefore it's all about doing the bare minimum, but in every topic. It's nearly all MCQ.

I'm in 3rd year now, and no one seems to know where they're going to end up, or even care that much. There's no placement, which doesn't help your case, and no one seems to bother trying to get one independently. High failure rate too.

So in retrospect would you have picked a different course?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭To Need a Woman

So in retrospect would you have picked a different course?
    Oh I'm so embarrasses about the typos I made.
    "up" was meant to be 'you'

In retrospect, I probably wouldn't have picked a science course. One science course is the same as another to me. The food and nutrition courses do have placements. But in my course, there's too many options to choose from for before 3rd year

Advertisement