Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

BobMac104 wrote: »
    :pac:

raises the question when is ok and not ok to wear a race shirt? is there some runnners unwriten rule that us novices should know about?
    We earned that t shirt wear it whenever and wherever you want :D Rules were made to be broken anyway... so if there is a rule i just broke it ;)
    I know I am way behind the times. Good old stopwatch for me. Always taught I would get away without it. But starting interval training now so i will have to fork out.

It's a sad day for the stopwatch its about to be replaced.:(:)

You won't look back when you invest in one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Nules10 wrote: »

You won't look back when you invest in one :)

i agree you will very quickly get used to using it and will feel "naked":eek: without it....
    but don't rush into buying one... shop around as theres always deal to be got and if there is a good deal going, it will be posted by someone here on boards

BobMac104 wrote: »
    I think as the first to post some data you must design the table!!!

I have no idea how to create a table, the marathon one was robbed from Ray and just edited....:rolleyes:

Maybe if we all just log our own data for a week or so and see how it progresses, or someone else with a bit of knowhow can create the table:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Felt the blues big time during the week and the crazy amount of rain didn't help. got out for a quick cycle yesterday and did a 10km run today at a 5:15 per km pace and felt good.

Hoping to get a few 5 or 10km's during the week. Hoping for a half marathon in Waterford in Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Great to see this thread up and running :) Haven't ran per se since marathon. Collected my bike from the bike to work scheme yesterday so went for a 4 mile cycle to test it out...took one of the routes i usually run so it was a novelty seeing what used to be the same old things from a seated position :) I played hockey for the last few years and had given it up to concentrate on my training for the marathon. During the week I got a text from the coach wondering if i could play with them this weekend as they were really really stuck for numbers :eek: So today, i played a hockey match...absolutely wrecked now!!
    Going to look into getting a gym membership for a few months until the evenings get a bit brighter as where i run isn't lit up so running midweek will be a no-no for me!! As i have a good fitness now, i'd like to maintain it and concentrate on toning up too! Anyone have any idea on how much cardio work would i need to do every session to keep fitness levels up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Younganne wrote: »
    i agree you will very quickly get used to using it and will feel "naked":eek: without it....
    but don't rush into buying one... shop around as theres always deal to be got and if there is a good deal going, it will be posted by someone here on boards

Seen a deal a while ago for a garmin 110 for 125 euro (I think) so that looks good. I am not going to spend anything to mad some of those watches are 200 and 300 euros :eek::eek:. This running lark is a expensive hobby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Did a 40k cycle today with a few steep climbs thrown in. Nice easy pace, felt fine throughout. Legs seem to be back to normal, energy levels probably still a bit low. Tomorrow I'll walk halfway up Croagh Patrick and jog down. Might cycle there and back if I get a friend to go with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Seen a deal a while ago for a garmin 110 for 125 euro (I think) so that looks good. I am not going to spend anything to mad some of those watches are 200 and 300 euros :eek::eek:. This running lark is a expensive hobby :)

the 305 is a great buy and can be had on amazon for under £100. well worth it imo and you get used to its looks and size very quickly.

Thanks Nules10 you're right about the shirt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Guys

First want to say congrats on DCM and glad to see it hasn't scared any of you guys off running. In line with the theme I have been adhering to recently in trying to keep people involved in running post DCM I have been talking to the other moderators about getting a training thread for people to push on from the fitness of DCM and perhaps find another race. It seems Younganne read my mind as this thread appeared and it was exactly along the lines of what I was thinking.

Basically the aim would be to set a target race for people to aim towards (Raheny 5 mile at the end of January had been suggested). The same layout could be used from the DCM novice thread and there can either be a generic plan which people could follow (or in fact could create a custom boards one) or even if people want to follow their own training plans and still contribute and be a part of.

You would be suprised the improvement you can make and if you dont believe me just look to the last time a thread like this has been done (You will probably recognise many of the posters):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055409208&page=3

Let me know if there is any interest in doing something like this post recovery from the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Hi would love to join your group. Only posted a couple of times but followed diligently!

Serious marathon blues as I haven't been for a run. My hamstring started hurting on mile 13 & hasn't recovered yet, can't wait to get out again. It's such a beautiful morning for a run-boo hoo hoo :(

Going to do the Jingle Bells 5k in the Phoenix Park with my 12 year old son & OH whose recovering from runners knee so will really be taking it easy. My next goal is to improve on my 5k speed then move on to 10k. Suppose to be great for improving your marathon times :D

Thanks Anne!

• Advertisement

Thanks e.coli sounds like a great idea.

having the thread to follow and update was as much a part of the whole marathon experience as anything else for me.

I am not in dublin though so i probably wouldnt do that race but i could maybe find a similar race down here (cork) around the same time and train away for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great idea ecoli and I think lots of people would be interested in this. Can non DCM novices join too :D

BTW well done to the novices on Monday, some cracking times and performances.

shazkea wrote: »
    Great idea ecoli and I think lots of people would be interested in this. Can non DCM novices join too :D

BTW well done to the novices on Monday, some cracking times and performances.

All inclusive as always aim is to improve all standards so if you feel you can benefit by all means

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Would like to part of this also. It would be like joining a club but doing the training on your own. Like Bob I am down the country but I would make it up for the races only in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Count me in too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

run44 wrote: »
    Count me in too!

And me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hi. Would love this too. Have never done any speed work. 7 half marathons since June 09 and DCM last week all at a plod. Would love to progress at this stage. Great idea. Thanks

Ecoli, this is a great idea and what we really need, seeing as we are just novices, is a guiding hand, Ray did a great job for the DCM. Like you said a lot of us would like to continue.

I know last yr after the marathon i jus did an odd run here and there but i am ususally much better if i am following a plan.

End of January seems like a good plan, with enough time off to recover from DCM and then time to crack on with the next step.

I'm hoping to do The Fat turkey run Sutton/Howth 10k on 28th December with a few friends and that will be my last run as a FS as i will be entering the Masters category from 1 Jan:eek::eek:...might have to change my username:(:(

To date i have not done a whole lot of races and i would love to change this
    I started running about 2.5 yrs ago and to date I have run 1x 4 m race and the rest has all be 10k or bigger...so really need to do 5k & 5 m and see how i get on. Having said that i ran for a few years in club age (8-14) and might see about rejoining in the new yr

best times so far are
    4m - 33.40 (Sept 10)
    10km 59.xx (April 10), 54.40, (May 10), 57.52 (April 11) 56.30 (July 2011)
    10m 98.28 (Aug 10) 92.12 (Frank Duffy Aug 2011)
    13.1m 2.03 (Sept 2010) 1.57 (Sept 2011)
    26.2 7.27(walking DCM 2006), 4.41 (DCM 2010), 4.27.17 (DCM 2011)

so my aim is to improve on these:D.

so count me in!!!!!

i didn't do the 2m easy run today, but the family went to Dun-a-Rí forest park in Kingscourt and went for a good walk in the beautiful weather...legs felt it after as there was plenty of hills so decided not to overdo it
    but well ready for the next week.

my plan is
    |Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|2m|4m|2M|rest|5m|Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

my last run as a FS

so count me in!!!!!

What's a FS? A foot soldier, first season, forty something?:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Female Senior (18-34)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭sunflowerRo

i didn't do the 2m easy run today, but the family went to Dun-a-Rí forest park in Kingscourt and went for a good walk in the beautiful weather...legs felt it after as there was plenty of hills so decided not to overdo it
    but well ready for the next week.

my plan is

I skipped the Sunday run too as was away for wkd. Felt guilty for about 5 minutes but I'm over it now:).
    That looks like a good plan for this week so I'll be trying that too :)

I think finishing the recovery stage and using that as a semi "base phase" is a good approach so we will finish the HH recovery plan over the next few weeks and then move into a new plan so here is this weeks:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Thanks Ecoli. Will see how the hamstring is tomorrow & if feeling ok will give the 2m a go. Then if that goes ok will continue with the plan. Looking forward to the 5k and 10k races, we've just ran a marathon, we can do anything. Sorry that wasn't very inclusive, still on my marathon high (shock), here's to anyone willing to go out on freezing cold mornings or icy cold wet evenings in the name of running :D

Female Senior (18-34)

I thought FS was from 18 - 39...i long out of it so...hitting 40:eek::eek:

ecoli wrote: »
    I think finishing the recovery stage and using that as a semi "base phase" is a good approach so we will finish the HH recovery plan over the next few weeks and then move into a new plan so here is this weeks:

Sat on the recovery program is actually 30min - 60 min so everyone can chose their own distance. More or less if they want

I chose 5m for me because that's what I can do within 60 min at a LSR pace(11mpm).....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

ecoli wrote: »

not sure if that's the right place to ask about it, but actually why running 3 days in a row? is it not better to have days off in between so you can recover better? I actually followed different plan before marathon, with runs on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat - Fri & Sat being long run split between those two days (longest one was 8+16 miles)

we ran three days in a row during training to get used to running on tired legs id say this is just a follow on form that.

I did 6m yesterday which was too much. The calves are hanging off me today.

meijin wrote: »
    not sure if that's the right place to ask about it, but actually why running 3 days in a row? is it not better to have days off in between so you can recover better? I actually followed different plan before marathon, with runs on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat - Fri & Sat being actually long run split between those two days (longest one was 8+16 miles)

You can approach running that way also and it follows the hard easy principle strictly and as such your body is stressed one day followed by recovery the next. This is the basis off all training (stress/recover)

You example follows the Stress/adapt/stress/adapt pattern

Here in the HH plan the aim is to get your body working consecutive days in order to boost your aerobic capacity. By having three days in a row your body is being challenged to recovery quicker because it knows it has training the following days. This allows the body to become more efficient in the long run.

Normally the reasoning behind every second day is to minimize injury however the fact that before this 3 day stretch you have a day off and after so your body is given the same recovery time to adapt but is made work harder on a day to day basis in this three day period though the runs themselves are short enough that they dont tax the body too much

Hope this answers your question

• Advertisement

great answer E.coli thanks.

Advertisement