Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mac: internet disappears, network diagnostics fixes it evry time

• 17-03-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hi all,

firstly I have discovered the "belkin" rule first hand.....

now, here's my problem....

I use airport to connect to a belkin n+ router which is in turn connected to my eircom adsl modem.... I opted for this as elara told me that it had the most powerful signal to penetrate thick walls....

the problem is now persistent....

I have full signal to my belkin, and all the lights on the front of the eircom (zyxel) are good, but I can't connect, sometimes connection times out, sometimes it says I'm not connected... then if i run network diagnostics it has all green lights bar a yellow for internet and server, it goes through all stages with the internet light turning red then it asks which wireless network when I specify mine it all goes green, and says...

yeah everything's working fine....

I have reset to factory defaults both routers and deleted all network prefs and passwords and setup from scratch all over again on the computers but it still happens

I am running osx 10.4.11 from a laptop and a desktop and 10.5.8 from a laptop....

using wpa-psk security with ssid broadcast on (to keep leopard happy)

any ideas...???

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If the eircom unit is actually a router as well you need to turn off the routing in either the belkin or the eircom unit otherwise you will have the routing functions in conflict - have you done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

dub45 wrote: »
    If the eircom unit is actually a router as well you need to turn off the routing in either the belkin or the eircom unit otherwise you will have the routing functions in conflict - have you done this?

yeah... the zyxel (eircom) is just acting as an adsl modem, wireless is switched off....

yeah... the zyxel (eircom) is just acting as an adsl modem, wireless is switched off....

Its not just the wirelss you need to turn off - you need to turn off the dhcp function in one or other of the routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not if they're giving dhcp in different subnets, the Netopia will be giving out ip's on lan ports in the 192.168.1.0 range (if its ip is default 192.168.1.254), the Belkin in the 192.168.2.0 (if its ip is default 192.168.2.1). Should work if both are default, the Belkin should get a lease from the Netopia and give out ip's with the route out.

Try disabling all encryption for the time being, just to rule that out.
    Also login to the Belkin and manually add the Eircom dns servers to the wan section, 213.94.190.194 and 213.94.190.236 and reboot it and Your pc to get a new ip lease. I take it You didn't try pinging an ip address instead of a domain, it could be nearly working. Maybe the dns forwarding got lost with 2 routers (I've honestly no faith in Belkin)

dub45 wrote: »
    Its not just the wirelss you need to turn off - you need to turn off the dhcp function in one or other of the routers.

which one would be the best to turn off.....

also... should I be using open dns...???

• Advertisement

okay so I tried turning off dhcp on the belkin and everything stopped working.....

so from hereon treat me like a dummy....!!!

what should I do???? I'm flummoxed....

thusfar all of the ip adresses on my network are from the belkin (192.168.2.2-XX) does this mean I should turn off dhcp on the eircom (zyxel)....

all I want the eircom box to do is be a modem.. thats right isn't it... or does all of the dns stufff have to be done from the eircom box....

I fully admit to being far from an expert in this area (obviously!) but I thought I had some handle on how it all worked... seems not ... :o

my problem is it was ll working fine up until a week or so ago... so what has changed??

Try turning off the dhcp in the netopia and turn the belkin back on and see what happens.

On second thoughts, the easiest way to solve this is to stop the Belkin routing altogether by disabling dhcp and stop using the wan port (sellotape over it) leaving all routing to the Netopia. This way You turn it into a switched access point, all 4 lan ports will be the same. Restart everything to get new ip's.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    On second thoughts, the easiest way to solve this is to stop the Belkin routing altogether by disabling dhcp and stop using the wan port (sellotape over it) leaving all routing to the Netopia. This way You turn it into a switched access point, all 4 lan ports will be the same. Restart everything to get new ip's.

let me check if i have this right....

leave eircom factory setup, then plug the ethernet cable into one of the ethernet ports on the belkin rather than the "modem" port...???

let me check if i have this right....

leave eircom factory setup, then plug the ethernet cable into one of the ethernet ports on the belkin rather than the "modem" port...???

Yep, a router routes from lan to wan, to stop it routing disable dhcp and stop using the wan port. Your Eircom router will be handling all routing and firewall

• Advertisement

cool... thanks for all the replies lads... I feel suitably two short planks!!!

Advertisement