Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSN Download Speeds

• 11-10-2012 5:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm currently living in Cork and have hooked my ps3 up to the wifi in my house! (UPC 15mb connection) I don't have any problems on Xbox or PC when downloading etc but when I try to download games on the PSN my connection seems to be rather slow (2.5mb/s) if I'm not mistaken? So as my calculations have estimated, it will take 35 hours to download FIFA13 (9.8gb)? Surely that can't be right?
    Last year when I was living back in Louth I was with Eircom and I only had 5mb broadband and I downloaded FIFA12 (9gb) in under 4 hours!
    Anyone know what the hell is wrong? And what I can do to fix this download speed if possible? :(

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Paudyyy wrote: »
    I'm currently living in Cork and have hooked my ps3 up to the wifi in my house! (UPC 15mb connection) I don't have any problems on Xbox or PC when downloading etc but when I try to download games on the PSN my connection seems to be rather slow (2.5mb/s) if I'm not mistaken? So as my calculations have estimated, it will take 35 hours to download FIFA13 (9.8gb)? Surely that can't be right?
    Last year when I was living back in Louth I was with Eircom and I only had 5mb broadband and I downloaded FIFA12 (9gb) in under 4 hours!
    Anyone know what the hell is wrong? And what I can do to fix this download speed if possible? :(

Two things, wifi is not the greatest way to download anything - however, having said that downloading from PSN can be a painful experience.

If you can, go wired or use power plugs - should help a bit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kristok 2

If your connecting through wifi that would explain it ps3 seems to struggle with wifi. I fixed this problem with Ethernet connection now a 10gb download is an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

kristok 2 wrote: »
    I fixed this problem with Ethernet connection now a 10gb download is an hour or so.

An hour??? God i wish...

PS downloads are horribly slow in comparison, so i usually download before i go to bed and set it to auto off after the download. And a huge +1 for the homeplugs if you can't get a ethernet cable to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

I think it depends on the file you are downloading. I am connected via ethernet cable to a 25mb upc router and downloaded a 5gb game took 4 hours and about 30mins but a bf3 1.3gb patch took 12mins so I don't think it can all be blamed on the wifi connection I think there is a difference anyway regardless of connection type

Advertisement