Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ULSU Elections 2012 (Voting Thursday March 22)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

djnr8 wrote: »

Kelly O' Brien -

I got a manifesto from kelly on friday in the stables

http://i.imgur.com/duTKg.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/JXAsM.jpg

they're quite big so i won't hot link them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

There most definitely was NOT a RON option last year.

tbh I can probably already call who is going to win.

easy wins for moursey rockett and o brien but stranger things have happened.

That ''trio ticket'' have obviously lumped together because they know they are up against it and will hope to get votes from each other.

I've never seen the ''tickets'' to really work in the past as people vote on how the individual candidate was to them, not on the fat that ''oh they're running together so i'll vote for all three of them''

It's an ok plan, but smacks of desperation already before a poster has even been issued. they're already so under donfident in their chances of success as an individual that they're already lumping in with randomers they barely know.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    Is this definitely true? I distinctly remember not having this an option last year. Am I mistaken or was it not implemented?

Can't see any mention of it in the constitution and don't remember it being there last year (that said i wasn't looking out for it last year for obvious reasons)

leaoj wrote: »
    It's an ok plan, but smacks of desperation already before a poster has even been issued. they're already so under donfident in their chances of success as an individual that they're already lumping in with randomers they barely know.

were the three of them not mates already?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I am biased here, but that poster is gas.

How does one 'think to the future'?

The pose with the dog reminds me of Owen McLove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Nokia08

And thinking to the Future, Jobs, Knowing your rights etc, Building up your current CV so that you look better to the future.

Btw here's Cathal's poster. EDIT: My mistake, this is his manifesto.

427114_263826047036537_262539770498498_602474_1959350774_n.jpg

Wow sounds like cathal could be cambridge's Manchurian candidate.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77128611&postcount=41

Nokia08 wrote: »
    And thinking to the Future, Jobs, Knowing your rights etc, Building up your current CV so that you look better to the future.

Hmmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

My manifesto:
    My name is Cathal Ronan. I am a 4th year BA (Joint Honours) student, studying Criminal Justice and Economics. You should vote for me as DP/Welfare Officer this Thursday because I am approachable, hard working and have a lot of low cost ideas that I think will improve the Welfare office and make it a more open union to all students.

Sexual Health – Make Shag week like a second Charity Week. Go out at night handing out free condoms and leaflets to UL students. Make sexual health awareness a weekly campaign rather then once a semester.

Mental Health – “Welfare on Wheels”. I plan to have a welfare couch on wheels and once a week go out and meet students, invite them for a quick chat making the welfare office more open and more approachable. Also I want to provide more help and advice for graduating students for when they face the real world. I would work with the Alumni office to create a forum where graduates could keep in contact.

Physical Health – Physical health is key. It has a direct correlation on your mental and sexual health. I intend to have a weekly jog/walk to get people out and active. It’s a new way to meet people and helps build a good relationship between students and the Welfare office. I would also work with the ULSU Shop to create a meal plan for students. Students could buy the makings of a healthy dinner for a reasonable price, helping both the student and the SU.

Accommodation – Students need to have more information about the accommodation they are choosing while they are students in UL. I want to develop a rating scheme on houses that is accessible to all students to view. Past tenants can leave their feedback on the house/land lord so that incoming tenants have a better idea of the accommodation they’re choosing.

I want to create a union with more accountability and transparency. This is your union. You have the right to voice your opinions and know exactly what is going on in your union. Transparency is key therefore I will be publishing my activity at the end of each week allowing students to see how I am working for them. This activity will of course be private and the result will be two-fold. 1) Students see exactly what it is I do and 2) Students in similar situations will have information accessible to them online should they find it difficult to make the first step to talk. I will be accessible to students via all social media and face to face meetings.

With the recent trouble in the SU change is needed. As your Welfare Officer I hold no political agenda and I have no ulterior motives for this job. My only concern is your welfare and nothing else.

I have experience working with youths in summer camps in Barcelona and America. My main responsibility was the welfare of the youths while they were in my care. I firmly believe this experience coupled with my academic interest in human rights/civil liberties leaves me as a perfect candidate for this position.

I will welcome any and all ideas to help better the union and do my best to put those ideas into action.
    Well done is better then well said.

Choose your Future. Choose Ronan for Welfare

This manifesto was issued by Deirdre Wilson, Campaign manager for Cathal Ronan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Btw here's Cathal's poster.
    Did anybody find something odd in the picture?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Btw here's Cathal's poster. EDIT: My mistake, this is his manifesto.

421274_10151407913870008_743020007_23296092_2073184018_n.jpg

Please God tell me this is a piss take?

The wording is just atrocious, and it doesn't actually say anything worthwhile.

"Choose cheap nights out and wondering if you used a reliable condom on Monday morning." <-Suggests that worrying over whether the condom worked or not is a good thing.

"Choose sitting on that couch watching mind numbing Home and Away repeats avoiding studying stress eating knowing that an officer is there for you" <- I'm sorry, WHAT?

EDIT: Just saw the manifesto, which makes far more sense than this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

Jester252 wrote: »
    Did anybody find something odd in the picture?

"Needin". That's the old picture, it has been fixed :)

wnolan1992 wrote: »

EDIT: Just saw the manifesto, which makes far more sense than this poster.

I got it wrong, twice :o

Apologies for the confusion.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I got it wrong, twice :o

Apologies for the confusion.

Don't worry about it :)

Even as a poster it's very poor. A huge body of text like that won't catch people's attention. And there is no break down of what he's actually going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭djnr8

Even as a poster it's very poor. A huge body of text like that won't catch people's attention. And there is no break down of what he's actually going to do.

I beg to differ, anybody who knows what the reference to would imo definitely stop to read it.

More manifesto links added in my original post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leaoj

were the three of them not mates already?

no, i think on tighearnan's link your man admits they only met for the first time last wk after nominations were submitted

I beg to differ, anybody who knows what the reference to would imo definitely stop to read it.

More manifesto links added in my original post

And those that don't? An election poster should give a clear indication at a glance of what the candidate stands for. An entire paragraph just saying "Choose X. Choose Y. Choose Z. Choose Bananas." doesn't do that. The manifesto is sound, some interesting things in there to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

And those that don't? An election poster should give a clear indication at a glance of what the candidate stands for. An entire paragraph just saying "Choose X. Choose Y. Choose Z. Choose Bananas." doesn't do that. The manifesto is sound, some interesting things in there to think about.

We have a more modified poster that does outline manifesto points, etc. They haven't been published yet as the ERB has to approve everything first. As soon as they get back to me, I will upload them here.

Oh, I should probably state, I'm on the Ronan for Welfare team. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

unfortunately not, humans have a short attention span, students doubly so
    even fans of trainspotting wouldn't be bothered (its been done far to many times)

TL DR - next time go for 3 bullet points rather than a big block of text

• Advertisement

cjthecrow wrote: »
    "Needin". That's the old picture, it has been fixed :)

Edited accordingly.

Personally I think the Trainspotting idea was very clever. It'll be easily recognisable to those who know the film (plenty of those about) with 'Choose' throughout. It's something different from the normal run-of-the-mill posters you see around, something interesting. It will grab people's attention.

Some of Cathal's ideas are summed up shortly in the poster, which are all in the manifesto above.

I actually think there is too much emphasis put on the contents of the election manifesto. Like it appears people really rate highly the 'promises' the candidates make. Like person A promises free condoms and person b offers a confidential phone service. People will argue which is most economically viable, which will benefit the students the most etc. i think it's a moot point. Firstly because statistics show hardly anyone delivers anything new during their tenure and secondly, it's not actually important most of the time.

basically this is a job people are being interviewed for. and we, the electorate body, are making that decision on who gets the job. What we need to find out who will best do the role of the office as it currently stands, what they might bring to it in terms of bells and whistles isn't important.

For example, Kelly O'Brien has a track record of delivering on one of her promises - a radio station. She organized the funding, got the resources, managed the volunteers, got some advertising, got the thing working. But what exactly was the end product? A radio station where people doing the music course get practice being presenters with a listener-ship of about 10 people per hour. So Kelly says she works 70 hours per week, how much of this time was spent messing around with the radio? What about the rest of the job - the important aspects.

Let's just say KOB is elected and she does actually bring in the niteline confidential help line for students. How much of her time and energy will be put into it? What will it achieve? How many people will use it? how will she able to do the more important aspects of her job -
    • liaise with the college over the criteria and distribution of the access and hardship funds
    • deal with, but not counsel, students who have welfare problems, respecting confidentiality at all times
    • campaign on, and raise awareness of, issues relating to welfare as agreed by the executive committee e.g. debt, safe sex, drug/alcohol abuse, etc; distribute general welfare information
    • have responsibility for representing students in disciplinary or academic appeals cases

Like, who cares if she gets cheap condoms or not as long as she does the above adequately and professionally? There are about 14 other things explicitly stated in the job spec too.

I'm not singling Kelly out here just using her case as an example as I have her manifesto in front of me. i think it's important for students to realise these fluffy promises that people put on their manifesto matter for nothing, the real important aspects of the officer is how they adhere to their job spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Its strange how someone has her leaflets.

We were told none had theirs approved.

I think the college does a terrible job at transparency during elections. Kelly O'Brien is effectively in charge of every campus media outlet. In the other big colleges on this island, they have newspaper published by the SU and another published without SU interference.
    2x6O8.png

I think we have an example of KOB using her editorial influence to gain advantage in the election. Tara feeney apparently took numerous photographs during the body shape awareness campaign. however, coincidentally Kelly O'Brien and her running mate David Hartery were selected to be published in the photo section of the elections edition of An focal side by side. Neither have ever been included (to the best of my knowledge before) in this section. i'm not saying this is a game changer, but it's obvious that KOB is using everything at her disposal to get her name and image out ahead of her opponents.

Merger wrote: »
    Its strange how someone has her leaflets.

We were told none had theirs approved.

are you saying KOB was dispersing unapproved election documents prematurely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Do like how Rockett put ents into his campaign. Too bad he can't sit behind a desk.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Do like how Rockett put ents into his campaign. Too bad he can't sit behind a desk.

who's campaign team are you on? all your posts are anti-rockett i have to question whether you're part of kob's team or your part of woods'? or are you just a concerned student?

Kelly O'Brien's election video. A good idea, but can't say it's very arresting personally. (I'd have to say that though :o )

who's campaign team are you on? all your posts are anti-rockett i have to question whether you're part of kob's team or your part of woods'? or are you just a concerned student?

Pretty sure Jester's just an interested student.

• Advertisement

i thought the video was great, great music, great tone. comes across very natural, very trustworthy, doesn't take herself too seriously.

Advertisement