Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

• 19-11-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Has anti social behaviour in Dublin 15 affected you?

Tell your stories... and where they happened.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm glad to say that so far the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Refused to buy some kids drink in the off license near the Spar in Castlecurragh before and had them follow me home. Had a few weeks of them hanging around drinking and chucking stuff at the house every night, getting the two year old kid they had with them to urinate on the house, banging on the front door etc.. Eventually when they got bored, turned their attentions on the neighbours' houses and enough complaints went in, the Gardaí started doing patrol car checks of the area.

Other than that, just the usual verbal abuse when going for a run in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

my gaff got egged at halloweeen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ongar has been the place for the scum of Hartstown and Huntstown to hang around in for a while now. Hanging around Xtravision and Coolers Off-License and the green spaces.
    I live near the used to be working fountain in Ongar Village and the benches were taken away by concerned residents to stop them hanging around, drinking cans and causing trouble.
    Seems to have worked and now with the winter bad weather seems to be quiet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

ongarite wrote: »
    Ongar has been the place for the scum of Hartstown and Huntstown to hang around in for a while now. Hanging around Xtravision and Coolers Off-License and the green spaces.
    I live near the used to be working fountain in Ongar Village and the benches were taken away by concerned residents to stop them hanging around, drinking cans and causing trouble.
    Seems to have worked and now with the winter bad weather seems to be quiet again.

That scum you are talking about are from more areas then you said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Wanker boy racers in Castleknock Village showing off their stupid souped up crappy cars to some bimbo in the passenger seat by screaming it at ridiculous speeds through a busy area.

how long before one of these morons kills somebody ?

where the fcuk are the Gardai because these idiots never seem to stop ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Pal wrote: »
    Wanker boy racers in Castleknock Village showing off their stupid souped up crappy cars to some bimbo in the passenger seat by screaming it at ridiculous speeds through a busy area.

how long before one of these morons kills somebody ?

where the fcuk are the Gardai because these idiots never seem to stop ?

The road between Castaheany/Littlepace and Ongar is a long straight stretch - fairly close to my house. Most nights there's some arseholes in maxxed up Civics etc. bombing up and down the road. They're a noise pest but more importantly they're a danger to everyone else using that road.

Only last week I was up at the shopping centre, at the new Lifestyle Sports end, around 8.30pm, so still plenty of people around. Some tosser in a Bora decided to show his mate how to do donuts in the new part of the car park between the shops and the car wash. He was close to other parked cars, and it was dark - I was just hoping no child would run out to see what all the noise was about. Total fuсking clowns, but they get away with it so nothing will change.

On a personal note, I've never experienced any hassle or other problems in the area, and I've lived here for almost 10 years... (reaches out to touch wooden table)... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ang

I'm from Roselawn Road, have never seen any anti-social behaviour around here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I've been here around 15 years and so far I havent been too badly affected.
    Our house was burgled twice (good alarm system put an end to that).
    My son was mugged a couple of times for his mobile phone.
    Because we're on a back road we regularly get muppets in their muppetmobiles doing donuts and screaming up and down the road at mad speeds.
    We've also had our fair share of burnt out cars on the road, one of them right across our driveway :mad:
    Mainly though fly tipping is the most common anti-social behaviour we get around here.
    In the main though its no worse here than where I lived before.

Oh and once we had our ears assaulted by a load of Louis Walsh's robots 'performing' thier one-hit wonders up in the park. Very anti-social that!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,856 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kaldorn wrote: »
    my gaff got egged at halloweeen

How long ago was that? Coulda been me :D (Only messing)

Can't say I've had anything happen. I'd be well enough known in my area so no problems really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭pinkyirl

thankfully i haven't experienced any anti social behaviour first hand, although there was a meeting last year called by a lady on our road about her being bullied by some young fellas who lived across the road from her. they were known to the gardai, one of them just out of jail, bullying her because they knew she was a widow living alone. everyone got together and started keeping an eye on her, dropping in to see if she was okay. the cops must have done or said somehting to yer man too - or else he's back in jail for something else cos he hasnt been seen since then really.

my only problem with the whole of hartstown is broken glass everywhere, being a dog owner it's an absolute nightmare bringing them for walks, it's even hidden in the grass in the park. one of our dogs nearly had her whole toe pad taken off last year by some glass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

We have!

We bought in Ongar about 5 years ago and had nothing but trouble on our road from day one, gate kicked in, motorbike vandalised, car windows put in, car mirrors broken off and planters etc stolen from the garden, it was pure silliness- best thing is we knew the households responsible. Eventually we gave in and moved out, now we're near the Hartstown Shopping Centre and in the almost 4 years we're here we haven't had a single incident, possibly due to the much older age group living in the immediate area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

People, if you're living out in Tyrelstown direction be very aware of yourself on the 40D bus.

I had my overcoat slashed on the bus, when it was packed. I never noticed a thing at the time ... but the scumbag decided to take a blade to my pocket from the underneath/inside the lining. He didnt' get to the pocket as a I must have moved an disturbed him/her. I couldn't believe someone would do that, so just be aware of yourselfs on that bus at rush hour(s) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

deswalsh wrote: »

I havent been too badly affected.
    • Our house was burgled twice
    • My son was mugged a couple of times
    • muppets at mad speeds.
    • burnt out cars on the road
    • fly tipping

I haven't been too badly affected :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Compared to some of the anti-social behaviour inflicted on friends and relatives in other areas, I'd have to say yes I havent really been too badly bothered in D15. Most of what I listed was general behaviour and wasn't specifically targetting me personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Wheelhaus

I was the victim of GBH on my way to tesco in Roselawn the other night. Two dudes came from behind me and started kicking the absolute **** out of me. Perhaps the worst part was that two taxis drove by me while I was on the floor.

Its ridiculous that people arent even safe in Castleknock anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

@ Wheelhaus. Jesus thats terrible what happened to you. Have the police any leads?? I am moving out of my area due to the amount of anti social behaviour. I have had enough and put my house on the market. I really hope that I sell. I have decided to move down the country.

I know anti social behaviour happens everywhere but the feral animals up my way have made me hate where I am currently living and when you have emailed, wrote, rang Fingal, the gardai, TDs and other people and when you have attended countless meetings with said people who promise you the sun, moon and stars and still the trouble continues it is definately time to move on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Yes, have had my cars broken into 8 times (roofs slashed, attempted theft)- so put up some cameras and caught one guy. Guards were great for that one.

That guy's mate still lives in the area and keeps coming around - broke into my car a few weeks ago, took some stuff and trashed the interior. All on camera.

BTW I created a thread on Boards to see if anyone here could recognise the guy but of course the thief's identity must be protected above all costs, so my comments + pic were deleted and the thread locked. Other forums are more open to the idea: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=212943&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=1

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

franksm wrote: »
    BTW I created a thread on Boards to see if anyone here could recognise the guy but of course the thief's identity must be protected above all costs, so my comments + pic were deleted and the thread locked. Other forums are more open to the idea: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=212943&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=1

Frank, the reason I locked that thread was not to protect the thief's identity, but to protect Boards. I'm not for a minute suggesting that the guy whose picture you posted wasn't the guy having a go at your car, but supposing that one was allowed to stay then what's to stop others posting similar threads, possibly with more malicious intents? It would be easy for someone to post pictures of someone they didn't like and accuse them of some wrongdoing they didn't commit, in which case there's a very real chance that Boards would be in trouble for allowing such libellous statements to be made on the site. What goes on on websites in Canada is of no interest to me or the admins, but what goes on this site is. As I said before, I have every sympathy for your situation and I hope the guy is caught and prosecuted, but this isn't the place to pursue it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Funny I live in one of the estates with what is ment to be the wrosest rep and none of that has ever happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Wheelhaus wrote: »
    I was the victim of GBH on my way to tesco in Roselawn the other night. Two dudes came from behind me and started kicking the absolute **** out of me. Perhaps the worst part was that two taxis drove by me while I was on the floor.

Its ridiculous that people arent even safe in Castleknock anymore

Yikes. I live 30 seconds from that Tesco's. In the few months that I've been here I've not seen anything like that. If I'd been walking past at the time of the attack, I would have helped without hesitation. Of course, I'm well prepared to protect myself...taxi drivers may not.

gazzer wrote: »
    @ Wheelhaus. Jesus thats terrible what happened to you. Have the police any leads?? I am moving out of my area due to the amount of anti social behaviour. I have had enough and put my house on the market. I really hope that I sell. I have decided to move down the country.

It was around 2am and I was walking home from my friends house when I decided Id pop up to tesco for some food. I was stone sobre and was innocently listen to my ipod when two well dressed dudes came from behind me and just kicked the S**t out of me. At one point, one of the dudes had there foot on my chest and the other was just stamping on my face. It was a ridiculously brutal assault. I think they were coked up thugs because they threw a good few punches before they even demanded anything. They insisted on taking my phone but I didnt have mine on me so I ended up giving them my ipod and wallet. Which had 300 cash and a ticket stub from a bookies that was worth 300 euro in winnings! Ouch! But there is no way they would have known about that as it just looks like a receipt.

The cops were great but unfortunately, the area has no CCTV and they checked the local pub's (MYOS) cctv camera and my description of them was not found. It seems the only way they will be caught is if they re-offend which is a shame and with making up to 300 euro, the cops are fairly sure they will re-offend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Eh...tesco is nowhere near Myos....

It was on my way to tesco, genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

round by us we had a spate of car break ins and petty vandalism late last year.

Got a residents committe together and we met the guards a few times. few young pups got caught and a few warnings were given. people in the area kept a much better eye out in general and were calling the guards and report things a lot more than before. They then decided to do random drive throughs of the place which was pretty easy for them to do and things have calmed down massively. myself and my polish neighbour also managed to scare off two of the car theives one night ( think it was more him than me......6ft6 and built like a tank), my missus managed to get some pics of them though, gave them to the guards and whoosh the boyo's actually got caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Car break ins are a big enough problem in Waterville too. The finger gets pointed rightly or wrongly at the neighbours across the road in Corduff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

I don't live in Blanch but if you don't mind me saying i think its a real shame that community groups are lobbying to have amenities like playgrounds and street seats taken away from them. I see whats happening, these things get "claimed" by the scumbags and nobody dares touch them. They are promplty graffittied and the environs around them covered in spit, filth and chewing gum.

But they are amenities and they improve an area if properly minded. I personally think its because the resident in an area don't care enough to call the police because the local amenity isn't on their property.:mad:

What if there was proper lighting, security cameras and a proper asbo register kept by the police and the Council. If any pikeys go over a limit they're out of their houses. :D

I also think its a shame that alleyways get closed up all the time. They are designed into estates in order to allow people to walk around the neighbourhood and they have a value:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

The country should wake up and stop with these euphemisms, ie:

"joy riding" instead of car theft; "anti social behaviour" instead of vandalism, arson, littering; etc.

These euphemisms portray them as "poor kids - it's actually our fault because there's not enough other proper entertainment for them", instead of the criminals, thieves, vandals, arsonists, etc. that they really are.

STOP WITH THIS BLANKET AMNESTY THING CALLED "ANTI SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR" AND DEAL WITH THESE CRIMINALS IN THE PROPER WAY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

That's a bit reactionary, especially when you consider that the Gardai, Councils, and HSE all have powers under loads of bits of legislation that they seldom use. And there's a lesson in this - mainstream society is tolerating anti-social messing of kids when they are 10-16, why then are we surprised that a number of them commit assuaults and shootings later on? We are tolerating it because the communities that bear the brunt of it are disadvantaged --- only once in a while someone from a so-called respectible neighbourhood gets done and its all breast beating and fist shaking.

I respect your reaction: but your ire is misdirected. Oh and there is a legal difference between criminal behaviour and anti-social behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

This thread is for all those posts about crime, antisocial behaviour and other stuff you might want to share or ask about.

(PS sorry TMaxx, accidentally deleted your post!)

Advertisement