Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One to keep an eye on!

Options
  • 09-10-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭

It might not be Katla but it could pass the time nicely. It last erupted on January 2, 2010. I don't feel too bad about anticipating an eruption because it's a big tourist attraction on the island. :)

Taken from the RSOE Emergency and Disaster Information Service

Piton de la Fournaise Volcano
    A seismic crisis occurred at Piton de la Fournaise Volcano, Reunion on the evening of 23rd September. Several tens of earthquakes were located at the base of the summit area, in Dolomieu crater. The seismic crisis was associated with significant inflation (3 cm) of the volcano, especially near the summit. The data indicates that magma has moved towards the surface and an eruption is imminent. Access trails to the summit of Piton de la Fournaise, either from Pas de Bellecombe or from any other trails have been closed to the public from 24th September 2010 until further notice.
    Situation Update No. 1
    On 01.10.2010 at 15:24 GMT+2

High levels of seismicity continues at Piton de la Fournaise Volcano, Reunion. On 29th September 33 earthquakes were measured. The magnitude of the largest earthquake was 1.7 (not felt by the population). A significant number of landslides have occurred at Dolomieu crater (33/day) with an average volume significantly higher compared to previous days. Inflation of the edifice of Piton de la Fournaise has occurred particularly its eastern portion. An increase in summit crater fumaroles has been observed.

Piton de la Fournaise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

RSOE Emergency and Disaster Information Service
    An eruption began at Piton de la Fournaise volcano, Reunion at 7:10 pm (local time) on 14th October 2010. The eruption site was located at an elevation of 2000 m on the southern side of the volcano. The events have accelerated in the early afternoon. The seismic crisis (characterized by numerous earthquakes at the base of the volcano) began at 1:30 p.m.. It peaked at about 3 pm. A larger than average earthquake occurred at 2:50 pm, which resulted in collapse of the inner walls of Dolomieu crater. The seismic crisis, which reflects the rise of magma in the volcano edifice, has slowed after 3 pm. According to information provided by the Volcano Observatory, the eruption took place near the site known as "Château-Fort".

A grumbling appendix of a volcano - Mount Merapi

I love the expression 'it melts', it doesn't erupt.
    All routes to Mount Merapi were closed to the public on Friday as the alert status of one of the most active volcanoes in the world was raised to “standby,” just one level below a full-blown eruption.

All residents on the slopes of the mountain have been advised to say outside an eight-kilometer radius from the peak following the issuance of the latest alert status on Thursday evening.

“We also advise people to stay away from the rivers that flow from the mountain because lava may spew out at any time and flow through them,” said Sri Sumarti, Mount Merapi section head at the Volcano Investigation and Technology Development Institution (BPPTK) in Yogyakarta.

Sand miners have been asked to stop all activities, and tourists and mountain climbers have been advised to stay away.

“They are not allowed to approach the disaster-prone areas. There are no exceptions to anyone on appeal. Only authorized personnel may enter to monitor the observation post at a certain distance,” she said.

Junita Parjanti, the spokeswoman of the National Park of Mount Merapi, said no climbing permits had been issued since Sept. 22, when the status was raised from the “active/normal” to “beware.”

Sumarti added that electronic distance measurement readings showed the fattening of the body of Mount Merapi continued to increase.

On Thursday it was recorded at 8.5 centimeters per day, while on Friday increased dramatically to 16.4 centimeters per day.

“On Friday, deep volcanic earthquakes occurred seven times, shallow volcanic earthquake 34 times, multiphase volcanic earthquakes 321 times and lava splashed 93 times,” she said.

The local governments in Yogyakarta, Boyolali, Klaten and Magelang, around Mount Merapi, are now accelerating the preparation of evacuation routes.

But Yogyakarta Governor Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono X said the government had not yet ordered an evacuation.

“We’re going to see the latest developments of the volcanic activities before issuing the evacuation order,” he said.

“If lava melts just around the top of the mountain and it does not reach the villages, residents would refuse to evacuate. They’re worried their property would be stolen if the houses are abandoned.”

“The mountain never really fully erupts, it just melts. I hope Mount Merapi will not erupt this time. But we will still prepare the evacuation plan for residents.”

Separately, Health Minister Endang Rahayu Sedyaningsih told reporters in a press conference on Friday that the ministry had asked the local health agencies to be ready for a possible eruption of Mt. Merapi.

“We have asked local health agencies to have enough supplies of drugs because when people are evacuated and live in shelters they are at risk of acquiring ISPA [an upper respiratory syndrome], fever, and diarrhea,” Endang said.

“We do not want them experiencing shortage of drugs as well as health officials to help the evacuees,” she said.

Merapi last erupted in 2006, claiming two lives. Its biggest recorded eruption was in 1672, killing about 3,000 people.

Please could a mod change the title of this thread to 'Any old volcano' to reflect it containing any bits and bobs of volcanic news that erupt (bad pun) from time to time. Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

if you look on google earth. there is a lot of homes at the base of this.

could be intrsting if it blows

It is hard to balance the wish for pyrotecnics with the worry for the people whose lives could be changed for the worse by this.
    Mount Merapi’s Swelling Signals Huge Eruption, Scientists Warn

Lava from Mount Merapi in Central Java began flowing down the Gendol River over the weekend, signaling an eruption could be imminent, a geologist said on Sunday.

The volcano, one of the world’s most active, last erupted in June 2006 shortly after the Yogyakarta earthquake, when a pyroclastic flow, or a fast-moving cloud of superheated gas, ran down its slopes and killed two people.

But Surono, head of the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Agency (PVMBG), said the distension of the mountain’s slopes was much more rapid this time around, indicating a higher-pressure build-up of gas and hence a much more explosive eruption.

“We believe Merapi will erupt explosively, as it did in 1930, and not just spew gas like in 2006,” he said.

“However, that scenario is only a guess. No one really knows when Merapi will erupt and how much volcanic material it will spew out.”

The eruption in 1930 wiped out 13 villages on the slopes of the mountain, killing around 1,400 people.

The alert status for Merapi is currently “standby,” just one level below the alert for an eruption.

Sri Sumarti, the Merapi section head at the Volcano Investigation and Technology Development Institution (BPPTK), said thick clouds and mist over the weekend had prevented her team from measuring the mountain’s distension.

On Thursday, the volcanic cone was observed to be expanding by 8.5 centimeters a day, while on Friday the rate had picked up to 16.4 centimeters a day.

“We’ve also seen a dramatic increase in the number of multiphase volcanic earthquakes, from 321 on Friday to 525 on Saturday,” Sumarti said, referring to the tremors from volcanic activity.

“Lava spurts have also increased, from 93 on Friday to 183 on Saturday. We’re now on standby mode around the clock.”

She said there were two types of eruption, the first a Pelean eruption that has a pyroclastic flow with lava streams.

The second is a Plinian or Vesuvian eruption, which is far more explosive, throwing ash and rock more than 25 kilometers into the atmosphere, but does not always have a pyroclastic flow.

“Whichever we get, we must prepare for the worst,” she said.

Djarot Nugroho, head of the Central Java Regional Disaster Management Board, said about 53,600 people in the districts of Magelang, Boyolali, Klaten and Sleman were at risk and would have to be evacuated.

He added that 22 temporary shelters had been set up.

Hadi Prabowo, the Central Java provincial secretary, said Rp 25 billion ($2.8 million) had been allocated to respond to an eruption.

“We’re working with the police and the military, and we’re ready to face the threat from Merapi, which is quite frequent,” he said.

“We hope residents are ready to evacuate at a moment’s notice, to minimize casualties.”

Yogyakarta’s governor, Sri Sultan Hamengkubuwono X, said there was no evacuation order yet.

“We’re going to see the latest developments with the volcanic activity before issuing an evacuation order,” he said.

“The mountain never really fully erupts, it just kind of melts. I hope Mount Merapi doesn’t erupt this time. But we’ll still prepare evacuation plans for residents.”

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 winnie84

Read and think about your all ideas.. :rolleyes:

winnie84 wrote: »
    Read and think about your all ideas.. :rolleyes:

Is that directed at me? what gives? :D

Click on the little blue roofed houses for cam images

Refreshable image cam -

Cheers for all that Upforanything! Certainly one to watch.
    Good catch on that evacuation article.
    :D

Just noticed, they are closing the local schools too.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Cheers for all that Upforanything! Certainly one to watch.
    Good catch on that evacuation article.
    :D

Just noticed, they are closing the local schools too.

I have to keep checking I'm not posting links to the '06 eruption as it's easy to them mixed up. I was reading elsewhere that the monkeys have evacuated the mountain too. It's always a sign of something wrong when the animals start fleeing.

• Advertisement

Shame there is no decent web cam for that area. Im still looking but there dosent seem to be any live cams, Just old shots.
    They are saying an eruption could be imminent.

The cams I posted need to be refreshed every couple of moments to get a new image. There was an article in the Jakarta Post about new cameras being installed which would be available online but no link to them as yet. I'll post anything as soon I find one.

video of pyroclastic flow from last year, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz7WCttwXQk

Now they are talking about a type Plinian....:eek:
    Cold winter anyone ??

http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=6436

List of webcams in Indonesia, havent a clue where most of them are in regards to Volcano, but they might come in handy later on.

http://cctv-traffic-indonesia.blogspot.com/search/label/WONOGIRI-KLATEN

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Jake1 wrote: »
    Now they are talking about a type Plinian....:eek:
    Cold winter anyone ??

http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=6436

At the end of September inflation rate of the volcano was measured at 6 mm/day. On 24th October the inflation rate was 420 mm/day.

taken from a diffrent source

http://www.stromboli.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&sobi2Id=263&Itemid=75

Link to a merapi webcam that appears to be working for now. I can't get anything from my other links.

Wrong thread.

Anybody else watching the cam? Seems like a hell of a lot of cloud/smoke/steam obscuring the mountain top and coming down the sides. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It will be interesting to see, if there is a major eruption there soon, whether it has any effect on the polar vortex this Winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

wow this thing seems to be taking off fairly fast. the poor people who live near it!! imagine having to leave livestock and pets :( let alone your home etc... awful! glad that they were evacuating before all the smoke or steam or what ever it is came so far down the mountain!

Strange! The only web cam pic I can get to open now shows the mountain completely clear again but with smoke pouring from the top.

That white stuff* all over the mountain again and down further to the bottom of the picture than it was the last time.

*stuff because I don't know what to call it. :confused:

Bloody web cam is soo slow. Come to think of it, my whole internet is. :(

Camera has colour now.

Daybreak I think! Happens fast there doesn't it? Not like here. It looks so beautiful, it is a pity it is deadly. They seem to be expecting a cataclysmic event this time. I hope all the people have gotten to safety.

Its smoking like a bong now. Looks really stunning

I thought you might like this, Jake. Somebody put together all the time lapsed images into a short vid (or something like that :D)

http://i54.tinypic.com/raauqs.gif

I thought you might like this, Jake. Somebody put together all the time lapsed images into a short vid (or something like that :D)

http://i54.tinypic.com/raauqs.gif

Thanks for that. Brilliantly done. Amazing, the beauty of it.

• Advertisement

They've zoomed the camera in closer on the summit.

ETA: Zoomed it back out again now. I wonder does that signify anything.

ETA: In again, out again. I think it's doing the Hokey Cokey - lots of 'smoke' now.

Advertisement