Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pegasus

• 05-05-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Watched Pegasus last weekend ( i know - it's a bit like clapping as the last horse crosses the line when I look at the titles of other posts here).

Anyway, what a well crafted episode. Stumping convention, the Pegasus' arrival is dealt with immediately - no tense finale, finding her. Nope, there we go. And in true Galactica fashion you know its too good to be true.

Tigh and the Pegasus XO's talk over booze when we're told about Kane shooting her previous XO for not ordering a suicide attack on overwhelming Cylon forces. But is it true? The XO's fiendish/desperate laugh is really unsettling and you're left smiling at your own silliness and wondering.... She's not THAT bad. Is she?

The fact that all of Kane's orders and observations about Galactica are dead right. The commanders mutinous son is CAG. Starbuck strikes officers, steals ships and commits mutiny as well. There are officers shagging Cylons. Helping to hide them. The fact that she shoves these all in Adama's face makes for great drama.

Adama's noble silence at losing command of the fleet.

Then the way the tension builds, the unsavoury nature of the Pegasus crew and their treatment of Gina. The tragic accident (tragic in the sense that the Chief & Helo are in the sh*te not that Thorne gets his head whacked in), the slow mo whap as Thorne hits the wall.

The music getting higher. The standoff between Adama and Kane is brilliantly done. Adama going TOTALLY for broke. And it ending with both sets of fighters squaring off against one another....

WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Release Season 2.5!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Edit: Just watched this last night....keeping diligently to my one episode per week...especially after the launch date of the next series.

I didn't really like the episode tbh. I thought it had a few flaws. The biggest example of which is the supposed repeated rape of the cylon on Kane's ship. No self respecting (especially female) commander would allow rape to occur on her ship as a method of torture, on a machine or otherwise, it sets a very bad precedent.

I much preferred the original series handling of the issue of the pegasus, though I did think that the ending of the episode was a stunner. :D

I was left wondering if Kane was merely testing Adama.

I also liked the look of the newer battlestar. It's a very agressive looking ship, and does make the galactica very dated looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Khannie wrote:
    The biggest example of which is the supposed repeated rape of the cylon on Kane's ship. No self respecting (especially female) commander would allow rape to occur on her ship as a method of torture, on a machine or otherwise, it sets a very bad precedent.

I also liked the look of the newer battlestar. It's a very agressive looking ship, and does make the galactica very dated looking.

That's the point though - Kane is all about naked aggression. The look of Pegasus. Her philosophy in regards to competition in the Viper wings and recording kills. And in regards to Thorne's treatment of Gina.

Kane doesn't consider a cylon human. And under the mask of propriety, she is a tyrant. She would execute Adama's men offhand.

And I think she would take pleasure (without admitting it) in the torture and rape of Gina.

She is a hardcore Tigh - military agression and lust for revenge totally dominating everything else. She is an organised and more motivated Tigh.

I still can't see a high ranking officer (Admiral in her case) condoning rape as a means of torture.....granted she considers the cylons machines, but the precident it sets is that "it's ok to rape sometimes", and that's a very dangerous precident for a high ranking officer to set in a military context.

Also....I'm surprised at how highly you rate Tigh. ;) He just seems like an idiot to me. Even if he were organised I think he'd be an idiot. The one /possible/ spark of commanding skill we've seen from him was the expelling of the air to prevent a disaster early in series one (possibly in the miniseries)...and even that is questionable (though Adama does back it up).

Oh...also the copping on of where the cylon raiding party were going....that was clever too. :)

edit:
    quad_red wrote:
    And under the mask of propriety, she is a tyrant. She would execute Adama's men offhand.

Agreed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Quit slagging Tigh ;)
    Tigh is cool! (as I've posted before). He is actually a very efficient, militaristic if you will, well-trained first officer (after Adama gives him the kick in the ass you mention in ep 1). He is also totally loyal to Adama even when Adama appears to be in the wrong. And of course he is a total piss-head which is what makes him interesting AND unlike everyone else on Galactica he realises what a screw-up and danger to ship safety Starbuck is.
    (Being an idiot does not make her interesting ;) )
    I wish they would use him more.

My least favourite thing about Tigh is Mrs Tigh. They not seem like a real couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

And totally out of his depth in total command.

And I think he'd just become even more repressive, violent and vindictive the longer he was left in command.

I do agree that Kane is a much harsher animal though :p

Re the rape - I think it still comes down to Kane's character. Fast tracked to being an Admiral, she has all the requisite technical and military skills and none of the corresponding senses of responsibility or morality.

In many ways, the situation on Pegasus more closely resembles what happens to soldiers (particularly men) in a combat situation. That's why it rings true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

the cylons basically wiped out the human civilisation on the 12 colonies. you think certain current military generals/admirals would have any problem with that kind of torture on the people responsible? i'm not gonna get into any debates about the current state of affairs, as this is a bsg forum, people are capable of some frightening behaviour, especially in war.

kane hates the cylons...and if she's willing to strip a civilian fleet, and order the execution of the families of people she needs if they don't go with pegasus, then why would she have a problem with doing anything, and i mean anything, to a cylon?

as for tigh, he's one of my favourite characters. he's obviously highly flawed, but he's loyal to a fault, and he seems like a pretty decent xo. obviously he can't command very well, but he's said many times he doesn't want, and isnt capable to command on his own. and if adama's happy with him, then so am i.

back to the episode itself, absolutly loved it when i saw it. "I'm getting my men" was the best line ever (also the worst, thanks to the 6 month wait till the next episode :mad: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Kiith wrote:
    kane hates the cylons...and if she's willing to strip a civilian fleet, and order the execution of the families of people she needs if they don't go with pegasus, then why would she have a problem with doing anything, and i mean anything, to a cylon?

I think you're missing the point....it's not so much about what Kane would not considerade doing to the cylons, because I agree with you there, she would no doubt draw no line when it comes to interrogation of those responsible for the extermination of the twelve colonies, but its important to keep a maintain a military structure that functions in such a time.

Plus, I find the whole ideal of
    the rape a bit fantastic - given they know virtually nothing about the cylons taking human form it seems unrealistic they would just rape them without knowing anything about the possible biological outcomes for both the cylon and the aggressor....the hardcore interrogation involing physical beating is credible, but the rape, I don't think so.

Anyway, it was just an average episode...it was obvious from the very start that there was something dark lurking behind the Pegasus.

Also, one question -
    why were the Cylon Baystars so utterly defenseless? Granted they were missing their assignment of raiders but the Galactica and Pegasus also had their vipers diverted elsewhere - and in the exchange of fire the two battlestars absolutely devastated the baystars, which in previous encounters seemed to be at least on equal terms with the Galactica in terms of firepower.

Plus, what happened the
    cylon raiders? Baystars usually hold hundreds upon hundreds of raiders, far outnumbering the vipers held by the battlestars. After the destruction of the resurrection ship and the baystars there was absolutely no mention of the raider fleet or the civilian transports that had been distracting them...or did I miss a definative point where they explained that?

ps - I also find Tigh a great character. Deeply flawed but that makes him all the more interesting. As for the six month wait, I saw BattleStar miniseries and the 1st season at Christmas - then I missed the start of season 2, which pissed me off no end....so I forgot about BSG, and just got the 2nd series on Friday....up to episode 17 already, been watching it all weekend, but dreading the last episode....I don't want it to end! At least a 3rd season is going to be hitting, thats something...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

HavoK wrote:
    Also, one question -
    why were the Cylon Baystars so utterly defenseless? Granted they were missing their assignment of raiders but the Galactica and Pegasus also had their vipers diverted elsewhere - and in the exchange of fire the two battlestars absolutely devastated the baystars, which in previous encounters seemed to be at least on equal terms with the Galactica in terms of firepower.

In fairness,
    Galactica had never previously actually engaged a Cylon Baystar (is that what they're called? Thought they were "baseships"?). The fact that two fully armed Battlestars plus attendant figher wings jumped in on top of the cylons would have been a very large surprise. This all happening moments after the resurrection ship was disabled, so lots of confusion would have been flying around the cylon fleet no doubt. The Cylons had no choice but to stand and fight on what appears to have been quite clearly terms favourable to the Battlestars (ie. close and tight quarter battery exchanges and not much long-range missile action)

As for the cylon fighters,
    again the BSG wing had previously always been fighting a holding action, so tactics would be very different to the out-and-out aggression involved in an assault.

Jaysus lads......spoiler that sh*t please. :/ I haven't seen episode 11 yet. That's what these threads are about.

Sorry Khannie...I'd be the first ranting about spoilers when I stumble across a thread like this and read spoilers by mistake! :o

Adding Spoilers now...

• Advertisement

Ah crud!! Sorry Khannie :o

np :) An easy mistake at this late stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To settle the "cylon carrier ship" question.. I always thought it was basestars? :)

It is indeed. I just had Baystar stuck in my head...:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding Tigh, he is a deeply flawed guy in a position he never earned, riding in on Adamas coat tails which is shown in the 2nd season I believe, but as the season progressed especially towards the end I think he, and we, see in Kara Thrace, Starbuck, a shadow of his former self, and as Starbuck hits the drink we see just how easy it is to let your emotions and despair take over, just as Tigh probably did, no real mention of Tighs early career, was he too a great pilot?
    He is, however, a great character in a show with nothing but great characters, nicw to see the relationship between him and Starbuck to have warmed considerably by the final episode.
    Honestly, it'll be a long 6 months before I get to watch the 3rd season, with 24 only a month or two to go I'll have nothing in telly bar Law and Order SVU and Inspector Lynley mysteries to keep me going!

Jaysus. Spoilers again please. This thread is about episode 10 of season 2 and you're talking about the end of the series. :/

It's putting me off coming to this forum. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Khannie wrote:
    Jaysus. Spoilers again please. This thread is about episode 10 of season 2 and you're talking about the end of the series. :/

It's putting me off coming to this forum. :(

Don't leave! Maybe a mod could alter the thread title to indicate that spoilers beyond "Pegasus" are not welcome? It's an ambiguous enough thread title in that the theme could be either the physical battlestar and/or the episode in question.

Sometimes people don't read a full thread through, so your earlier spoiler warning may have been perhaps missed. I can't imagine that the intent is malicious.

With Sky having finished their run of season two recently, I can appreciate it can't be easy to remain spoiler-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

i know its reviving a zombie thread, but watching the episode the other day made miss the show immensely, when lee adama flys by and exclaims "its a dream" and his father responds in kind along with the rising crescendo as we the ships beside each other.

Beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Adamantium wrote: »
    i know its reviving a zombie thread, but watching the episode the other day made miss the show immensely, when lee adama flys by and exclaims "its a dream" and his father responds in kind along with the rising crescendo as we the ships beside each other.

Beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbw6Sa31UX8

Great track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

When Star Buck was in CIC on Pegasus and on the wireless to Abama the writing on the windows was BSG62. Should that not be BSP?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MugMugs wrote: »
    When Star Buck was in CIC on Pegasus and on the wireless to Abama the writing on the windows was BSG62. Should that not be BSP?

No it actually means Battlestar Group apparently.

• Site Banned Posts: 44 Pegasus Galactica

Brilliant track, loved the entire battlestar soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

noodler wrote: »
    No it actually means Battlestar Group apparently.

And there's me thinking I'd uncovered a flaw !

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

which begs a question, from the mini-series, we know that there are only about 120 odd battlestars, can there really be 60-70 odd "groups" of battlestars? is there only one per group with the rest being support ships?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Or they go back a few years, retired/destroyed ships from the first war.

wasn't there only 12 from the first war though?

and considering Galactica was 40 years old and only bieng retired now, there wouldn't be many other retired ones.

necro thread is resurrected.

Military numbering is not sequential; in theory it screws with your enemy's ability to accurately determine your numbers. For example; WW2: US 17th, 82nd, 101st Airborne Divisions as well as XVIII airborne corps. British 1st & 6th Airborne Divisions.

I would imagine that the BSG designations are also of a similar format, i.e. not sequential or with any apparent numerical pattern other than the lack of one.

I never thought about it that way. it actually makes a lot of sense. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement