Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free Fees: Level 8 ---> Level 7

Options
  • 24-04-2016 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

In a few weeks I'll have finished my first year of Software Development in GMIT (Level 8). However, I'm quite unhappy with the course and I plan on doing a different level 7 course next year.

Under the "change of mind rule" it says that I'd be entitled to free fees if I were to enter 1st year of a different level 7 course next year.

This is the rule I'm referring to:

"A student who has completed NOT MORE than the first year of a Level 8 Honours Degree qualifies for a further 3 years funding on a Level 6/7 course (assuming the student has not availed of Free Tuition Fees for any other Course other than the one year
    of the Level 8)."

I'm just wondering what exactly they mean when they say "free fees", will I still have to pay the student contribution? How much will I have to pay altogether?

I also received the full grant this year including the maintenance grant, how will this be affected?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Free fees refers to the national free fees scheme. Basically you going to college for a year is charged in two parts, Student Contribution and Tuition Fees. The government pays tuition on your first attempt for all Irish/EU students and they pay contribution (which SUSI may then pay on their behalf).

So for your course in GMIT: **
    Y1 €3000 + €1450
    Y2 €3000 + €1450
    Y3 €3000 + €1450
    Y4 €3000 + €1450

The Change of Mind rule means the government will pay that first 1450 again for you. Basically its as if you applied to the L7 first time.

Regarding SUSI I'm not sure if you'll be eligible for a grant for year 1, normally they look for progression, but they may have a rule to match with the Depts change of mind rule so best to ask them.

** Similar in TCD costs about €3000 + €5-7000

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ko3p

Cheers for the help. I'll get in contact with SUSI regarding the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

You would not qualify for grant assistance from SUSI until year 2 of the level 7, if you already completed 1 year at level 8. (Undergrad year 1 completed)

Advertisement