Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Total Recall (Remake)

• 30-07-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28496
    Yesterday brought word that work on the remake of one of Paul Verhoeven’s beloved ‘80s action classics, RoboCop, had stalled at MGM. But now there’s fresh intel on another of the director’s American films that has been mooted as a remake target for years: Die Hard 4.0’s Len Wiseman is now in negotiations to retool Total Recall.
    The Heat Vision blog reports that Wiseman is talking to Sony Columbia about an updated version of the 1990 pic, which saw Arnold Schwarzenegger as Douglas Quaid (or is it Hauser?), a construction worker who decides to take a virtual vacation to Mars via the technology of the Rekall company, which can implant fake memories in peoples’ noggins. But then he starts recalling that he’s actually a secret agent whose cover has been blown.
    Cue a trip to the real Red Planet to start discovering the truth and a battle to help the locals overthrow a despotic ruler bent on controlling the air production. Delusion and reality blend. Three-boobed hookers abound. Well, one of them.
    Based on Philip K Dick’s story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, Total Recall has been a likely subject for a remake (and before that, a sequel) and the source material for two short-lived TV shows.
    This time out, Equilibrium writer/director (and Salt scribe) Kurt Wimmer is tackling the script, and it’s not yet known whether he’ll stick to the same plot as the original or take it off in new directions.
    Wiseman, meanwhile, worked on the pilot for another reboot, this time TV’s Hawaii Five-0 and is also in the running to possibly return to shoot another John McClane outing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Where is my "Dislike" button??

There is no way that they can capture the cheese and atmosphere that made it so great, the first time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ tend to agree...leave it alone!, but a Robocop reboot might be good, depends how they do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Where is my "Dislike" button??

There is no way that they can capture the cheese and atmosphere that made it so great, the first time

Rugger...is your sig from that classic TNG episode wth Picard being tortured?, absolute ace ep.! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think a remake/sequel to any of Verhoeven's films is doomed to failure. The guy has a very unique style, a mixture of over the top violence and satirical humor that is impossible to imitate successfully. Kershner tried his best and still failed. A Total Recall remake might work if they went back to the source material and did a completely new take on it, not a remake; but Wiseman is not the guy to do that - he's a hack. And I really think Verhoeven is the only one could have gotten away with Robocop. If Hollywood really want to revive these films they should get Verhoeven back, or leave them in the 80s where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Total Recall is perfect as is. No remake. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

^ tend to agree...leave it alone!, but a Robocop reboot might be good, depends how they do it.

That's cancelled.

http://www.movies.ie/news/RoboCop_Cancelled

One down.........Loads more to go! :P

Although they might go the high and mighty route on this one and actually base it closer to Philip K Dicks 'We Can Remember It For You Wholesale' text. I believe it will involve more paranoia........and that weird cell shading from A Scanner Darkly (but not really).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

No Arnie...No Dice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Rugger...is your sig from that classic TNG episode wth Picard being tortured?, absolute ace ep.! ;)

It is indeed. Good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cant remake it you just cant, its like remaking ghostbusters or waynes world without the original cast. Even another actor saying lines that Arnie defined is heresy, like adrien brody saying come on kill me kill me do it now, it just doesn't work. Not only that, Verhoeven perfectly, and I mean perfectly captured an atmosphere which was so distinctly sci fi, so completely on the same wavelength as the worlds and moods evoked in the best sci novels, by writers like Hamliton. Come on hollywood you got what you wanted, give these people new films!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I think a remake/sequel to any of Verhoeven's films is doomed to failure. The guy has a very unique style, a mixture of over the top violence and satirical humor that is impossible to imitate successfully. Kershner tried his best and still failed. A Total Recall remake might work if they went back to the source material and did a completely new take on it, not a remake; but Wiseman is not the guy to do that - he's a hack. And I really think Verhoeven is the only one could have gotten away with Robocop. If Hollywood really want to revive these films they should get Verhoeven back, or leave them in the 80s where they belong.

+1 , you could always tells the likes of robocop wasnt directed by an american , it was so delightfully cynical and savagley satirical of capatilism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

They can make it, just that I won't acknowledge this piece of shìt. No Arnie / Verhoven then you can fùck right off!

Getting a wimpy action director to it is not gonna make this any sort of a credible film.

Go ahead Hollywood, see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

DrumSteve wrote: »
    No Arnie...No Dice.
    And no 3 titted woman, no dice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

totalrecall.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

nooooooooooooooooo!!!!! my favourite movie of all time please dont ruin its name!!!

i thought total recall is the 1st story of a trilogy novel??why dont they do a sequal film??

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Will it have Arnie?
    Will it have Ronny Cox?
    Will it have a midget hooker knifing people in a bar?
    Will it have a mutant cab driver who has 5 kids to feed?
    Will it have a three titted mutant?
    Will it have Michael Ironside?
    Will it have JohnnyCab?
    Will it have a Jerry Goldmsith score?

no?

good,cos theres already a movie that has all that, its called Total Recall! leave it alone!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i really cant see this happening
    i mean where are they going to find a girl with 3 boobs, who is semi attractive, and will go topless on camera??
    impossible i say
    ;-)

being serious though, if it were to be remade i could only see it being remade very badly and so it should be left alone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Duggy747 wrote: »
    [...]

Go ahead Hollywood, see what happens.

It'll probably make a profit. In fairness, the only reason these remakes are getting made is because people seem to be happy to watch 'em, whatever the reason is - whether it's through ignorance, blind curiosity or because X is starring in them. Plus I imagine the remakes also drive sales up of DVD of the originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

seraphimvc wrote: »
    nooooooooooooooooo!!!!! my favourite movie of all time please dont ruin its name!!!

i thought total recall is the 1st story of a trilogy novel??why dont they do a sequal film??

Its based on a short story like Blade Runner - Linkage

It could be good if they just used the total recall universe rather then remake the story. Kind of how the TV show tried to do it but have decent cast, good writers and a proper budget :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Will Marty Morrissey reprise his role of Kuato I wonder?

14.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

seriously, are the people making big budget action films that out of ideas in hollywood?
    leave total recall alone you scum sucking rejects

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Colin Farrell’s comeback blockbuster, the remake of 1990 flick Total Recall, will have a reported budget of $200 million, reports The Toronto Star.*

The flick will shoot in Toronto from March, with Underworld and Die Hard 4 helmer Len Wiseman calling the shots. Farrell bagged the part after other actors, Michael Fassbender and Tom Hardy were also mooted for the lead. Farrell was apparently Wiseman’s choice all along, and the studio eventually offered the Dubliner the part a couple of months ago.

That is a huge budget, even by blockbuster standards. Wiseman is a capable director, but he never really showed what he could do with the last Die Hard. Apparently, according to some reports anyway,*Bruce Willis ran that set. Farrell has been doing brilliant work for the past few years, hopefully this continues the trend.

From entertainment.ie.

I'm a big fan of Colin Farrel if I'm honest and I think he gets a much harder time then maybe he should. I'm also a big fan of total recall. Len Wiseman however I wouldn't be a lover of. Although l, I liked Underworld.

Could be a turning point for Farrel and I'd be hopeful of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is so so terrible!

I like Farrell, i'm glad he's been giving such a massive role, i hope he rocks the screen and i hope he wins Oscars for Best Actor, Actress and Costume Design................. but a Total Recall remake? kill it, kill it with fire NOW!!!

It's a movie which doesn't need to be remade! and CERTAINLY won't be bettered!

Also, it's obviously not a money-making excercise considering the size of the budget! Who the bloody hell ever thought this was a good idea?

(also, kinda ironic that Farrell will be in this and was in Minority Report also)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cohagen, would ya staaaart the bleeedin reactur!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cohagen, would ya staaaart the bleeedin reactur!

Get your arse to Mars!

What is with these damn remakes? It's not like the movie is even old. Also how can anyone do justice to this classic line:

Farrell can't match that. 'What da f*ck did oi do wrong' could never compare to 'What da faaaaccckkkk did I do wronnnnnngggggg!'

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Remaking an Arnie classic, you've crossed the line Hollywood!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

Good lord hollywood - is there no low you wont reach? Total recall is a classic. Hugely entertaining, one of Verhovens finest!! :mad:

At least, on the bright side, they're leaving the sci-fi masterpiece that is RoboCop, alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

colin farell isnt macho enough for the role , he looked like a girl in alexander , brad pitt was metrosexual like in troy but that was deliberate

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Elessar wrote: »
    Good lord hollywood - is there no low you wont reach? Total recall is a classic. Hugely entertaining, one of Verhovens finest!! :mad:

At least, on the bright side, they're leaving the sci-fi masterpiece that is RoboCop, alone!

I think that is meant to be out in 2012 or 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Hello Hollywood! Philip K Dick wrote more than just three storys :mad:

• Advertisement

I don't understand all the hatred regarding the remake. No matter how good or bad it is we still have the classic original to rewatch time after time and may even result in a remastered version of the rather poor looking Blu Ray which remains one of the most disappointing purchases of mine in a long time.

Advertisement