Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

books for kids

• 30-09-2015 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

My nephew is about to be twelve and very interested in irish. I'd like to get him some books in irish for his birthday next month. Can anyone give me any recommendations? Thanks ☺

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Makapakka wrote: »
    My nephew is about to be twelve and very interested in irish. I'd like to get him some books in irish for his birthday next month. Can anyone give me any recommendations? Thanks ☺

I've recommended this version here before: Peadar Ó Laoghaire's classic Séanna, as read by Liam Ó Muirthile. He can listen to the story (70-minute-long cd), and then read the book so he'll get the best of both worlds with matching pronunciation with words. This Ó Muirthile version is abridged and, most importantly for your age requirements, is aimed at people from 12-years-old on according to the blurb here.

Séanna/Séadna is the 1910 Irish version of the famous medieval tale of Faust so you'll be introducing him to a wider European literature at the same time (it's also one of very many examples of similar stories, with similar moral messages, being found in diverse traditional societies across the world. In short, if he's a bookish kid you could open up worlds of thought to him by having great discussions on anthropology, the functions of folklore in society, etc - or he could just love the turn of phrase throughout. Nerdy, I know, but there you have it.)

I'd also recommend Rogha Scéalta, a collection of short stories by Pádraic Ó Conaire. Unfortunately, I can't find an audiobook with it. Nevertheless, one of the stories is An tÁdh (7-pages long so just challenging enough). It's the basis of this excellent short film which is on the Junior Cert Irish curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

Makapakka wrote: »

Where in country are you? There are a number of Irish language bookshops and Irish language sections in bookshops that you could browse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Where in country are you? There are a number of Irish language bookshops and Irish language sections in bookshops that you could browse.

That's why nobody wants or can learn Irish. Because absolute lack of professionalism in teaching it. "browse in the shop" is one of that worst ever responses, like OP has never been to bookshop and never browsed?

Me myself as a beginner who already tried few sources and found them more or less useful, can advice this book:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1638997.Irish

It is not new book and I am not sure how and where to get it but I found that book much better than other.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zom wrote: »
    That's why nobody wants or can learn Irish. Because absolute lack of professionalism in teaching it. "browse in the shop" is one of that worst ever responses, like OP has never been to bookshop and never browsed?

Mod note:

There is absolutely no need at all for that kind of an indignant and sarcastic response to another poster. Calm yourself down before posting in future. Thanks.

/Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

An File wrote: »
    Mod note:

There is absolutely no need at all for that kind of an indignant and sarcastic response to another poster. Calm yourself down before posting in future. Thanks.

/Mod

I didn't intend to be sarcastic. I would rather been sad as despite all afford to popularise and help people learn Irish, it seems to me quite often to be kind of mockery or incompetence instead. Something is wrong with teaching Irish in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

zom wrote: »
    I didn't intend to be sarcastic. I would rather been sad as despite all afford to popularise and help people learn Irish, it seems to me quite often to be kind of mockery or incompetence instead. Something is wrong with teaching Irish in Ireland.

That's not the point, though. Comhairleoir was asking what part of the country the OP is based in.

I'd imagine it would be much easier to direct Makapakka towards a range of useful books/bookshops if we knew where they are located. It's hardly fair to say that questions like that are "why nobody wants or can learn Irish".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

There is a series of The Famous Five books available in Irish.

An Cúigear Cróga is the name of the Irish language version,and is available from Cló Iar-Chonnacht.
    www.cic.ie

I've also heard of an Irish version of Tintin being available.If I can get a direct link to any of these books,I'll post them here.

I can also definitely recommend Bánaí Is Bánó Faoileán by Íde Sionóid.I have this book myself,and it has also 3 discs with Íde telling the stories herself.I don't mean to brag but...the lady herself sent me that lovely book as a gift when she heard me speaking on R na G back in January!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

There is a series of The Famous Five books available in Irish.

An Cúigear Cróga is the name of the Irish language version,and is available from Cló Iar-Chonnacht.
    www.cic.ie

I've also heard of an Irish version of Tintin being available.If I can get a direct link to any of these books,I'll post them here.

I can also definitely recommend Bánaí Is Bánó Faoileán by Íde Sionóid.I have this book myself,and it has also 3 discs with Íde telling the stories herself.I don't mean to brag but...the lady herself sent me that lovely book as a gift when she heard me speaking on R na G back in January!!!

Here are the links

https://www.cic.ie/en/books/published-books/an-cuigear-croga-the-famous-five-ta-gruaig-george-rofhada

https://www.cic.ie/books/published-books/eachtri-tintin-todoga-na-bhfaronna

https://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6670#.VhQrWrtw1jk

Ádh mór!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Leabhair do dhéagóirí/teenagers as gaeilge:

http://siopagaeilge.ie/store-8.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

If your nephew is a Harry Potter fan, I can definitely recommend having a look for the Irish translation, Harry Potter agus an Órchloch. I find it really beneficial to read a book you're really familiar with in your target language. Only the first book is available in Irish, though :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement